OT: Reverb Suspension - Dazed & Confused

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been selling on Reverb for a little over a year with no issues until now. I am 100% honest and transparent on every item that I list and sell. I have nothing but positive feedback and happy customers. That’s why I was very confused to find my account suspended the other day. Reverb sent me an email about it and I replied back to them a couple of times. I really don’t understand what their problem is. Apparently I can‘t list items as brand new unless I am a dealer? This is news to me. I guess I am supposed to lie to my customers about my item’s condition? Be careful about being honest on Reverb and selling items that are brand new. They will close your account…

None of this makes any sense to me and idk why they just decided to enforce this now. I am angry. I guess all the money I’ve made them means nothing. I even had a few potential sales this week on Reverb, but now I’m screwed. I will be closing my account and moving back to eBay. What a shame. BTW their customer service is a joke. They don’t even have a phone number.

Email #1:

Email #2:

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I've been aware of that rule since my first listing back in 2018. I have several items that are like new. I've taken them out of the container and tested. I list them as mint and describe them like brand new. Works for me. Sorry your results were different.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don’t know how that makes any sense. I have always listed everything as is and below the cost of what I paid. How is an item used when it’s still in the factory packing and never been touched?

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really don’t know how that makes any sense. I have always listed everything as is and below the cost of what I paid. How is an item used when it’s still in the factory packing and never been touched?
Because you're not a dealer and therefore many items you sell are not covered under warranty.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you're not a dealer and therefore many items you sell are not covered under warranty.
Yeah I get that, but I always listed the items “as-is” and never mentioned a warranty. I don’t even accept returns. I’ve always made that clear in my advertisements. Plus the price is reflective of this.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah I get that, but I always listed the items “as-is” and never mentioned a warranty. I don’t even accept returns. I’ve always made that clear in my advertisements. Plus the price is reflective of this.
But that's the distinction -- "new" products are required to be covered under warranty, used products are not.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten the warning, but I've been prevented from selling gear which I purchased new from a dealer, and never used once, as "new". Apparently this is the deal on eBay too. For people who purchase new, collectible items, with the intention of selling later on when the items are no longer available from dealers, this is a setback. I think the intention is to undercut the private seller in this way. And yes, it has a lot to do with warranty issues - it has caused a lot of issues on eBay, I'm told (by dealers, BTW) when private sellers list something as "new", with no warranty. Manufacturers don't like that at all.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
New is new, warranty or not. If you want to worry about warranty with a sale, just list it as "no warranty".
If I buy a new factory sealed cymbal pack from Sweetwater, receive it, decide to not open it and list it for resale, it's still new! I don't see how it's not new!
Go back to eBay. No matter the faults that eBay has, it's still the best place to sell. Your stuff will move. They have the most traffic, Reverb does not! I've listed on Reverb and the stuff just sits and sits. I list on eBay and within minutes the listings have views and watchers. Also, eBay is relatively cheap. When you factor in the massive shipping discounts you get, you make the most money. Plus now they even handle the payments. They automatically deposit whatever you make every 2 days straight into your bank account. Easy to sell! By the way, eBay has an "Open box" item condition option. That puts it in between new & used. That's been my experience!

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten the warning, but I've been prevented from selling gear which I purchased new from a dealer, and never used once, as "new". Apparently this is the deal on eBay too. For people who purchase new, collectible items, with the intention of selling later on when the items are no longer available from dealers, this is a setback. I think the intention is to undercut the private seller in this way. And yes, it has a lot to do with warranty issues - it has caused a lot of issues on eBay, I'm told (by dealers, BTW) when private sellers list something as "new", with no warranty. Manufacturers don't like that at all.
Yeah that’s why I’m mad. It’s a definite undercut of private sales. Also, I’m sure the manufacturers don’t like it, but after I buy a product, don’t I own it? Like you say, if it’s never even been opened and I specify it as having no warranty and being an “as-is” item, what gives?

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The correct label for what describe is "New in Box", but it is a category of "used"
Agreed! But that’s not even an option. It’s either list the item as new or used/mint condition. This makes a big difference when a buyer is searching for an item and sorting results.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah that’s why I’m mad. It’s a definite undercut of private sales. Also, I’m sure the manufacturers don’t like it, but after I buy a product, don’t I own it? Like you say, if it’s never even been opened and I specify it as having no warranty and being an “as-is” item, what gives?
You absolutely do own it. Which is why it's used, and not new :)

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, but the person buying it will be the second owner. It's a pre-owned item, which is not "new".
And that second owner would know that he's buying the "so called not new" item from the reseller that's not a dealer. It's for him to decide whether he wants that "second owned new item". I've bought plenty of factory sealed items knowing that it's not a dealer that's selling it to me.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And that second owner would know that he's buying the "so called not new" item from the reseller that's not a dealer. It's for him to decide whether he wants that "second owned new item". I've bought plenty of factory sealed items knowing that it's not a dealer that's selling it to me.
How would the second owner know that? Reverb in particular makes every seller look like a legitimate business. The fact that it's not listed as "new" IS HOW the buyer knows that this isn't coming from a dealer.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thank God that I let the free market be the one that determines what gets bought and sold based on the agreement that buyer and seller has. Anything else is unacceptable!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would the second owner know that? Reverb in particular makes every seller look like a legitimate business. The fact that it's not listed as "new" IS HOW the buyer knows that this isn't coming from a dealer.
By transparency as a seller. Describing exactly what you got and the terms that are attached. That's what I do and it's always worked and customers have been happy.