OT: Reverb Suspension - Dazed & Confused

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it… Shipping a drum set as some random person selling A drum kit is a fools errand.

I guess you could nest them and use one box, but you’ll need to make copious offerings to the shipping gods and possibly go on the lam for the sacrifice they may require. Either way, it’s the sellers loss
If you plan correctly, this shouldn't be an issue.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here we go, another Reverb bashing topic. I think we still have a lot of sales and knowledge thanks to Reverb. Heck even eBay followed suit with how Reverb handles things.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but buying a car is completely different. They don’t come in factory packaging and they record miles. Obviously if you put mileage on a car and it’s exposed to the elements it’s used. It’s not the same thing.
A new car on the lot may be driven by potential buyers and it is exposed to the elements. It is not used until someone buys it.

Lord Ny

Reaction score
I don't think on eBay the "new" classification is really an issue. With all due respect, I really am not understanding this way of thinking! If you're selling something new, it's new no matter how you look at it. Again I use the example: I have something delivered from Sweetwater, I don't open it and decide to sell it, it's New. It's new to everyone!
And the "Mint" term?
"Mint" has nothing to do with a box or anything like that. It means that the actual item is in immaculate condition.
I personally own a car that's 12 years old, sitting in my garage that's got 612 miles on the odometer and I can assure you that it's "more than mint" even though it's 12 years old. Every car enthusiast, collector and automobile authority would agree with me. So respectfully, no it's not an overused term if it really applies to what you own or are selling.
If said car in your example sat in your garage for 12 years, it has tires that are shot and many dried out seals/gaskets, the engine will have to be stripped down, to an extent, and seals/gaskets replaced. So it is most certainly NOT "more than mint". I believe the term is barn find. You have a car in excellent condition, but it is not what it was sitting on the showroom floor 12 years ago. Can you drive it like it is after sitting for 12 years? Maybe, but it will be leaking and the tires are likely to blow out and cause an accident. That being said, you probably end up with a car that is EXTREMELY sought after and people would pay a high premium for it. If you did the same thing with a Spizzichino cymbal, you have a small fortune. Please keep reading for a musical instrument example that I think may help.

Same with something you or I buy, like a wooden snare drum. How about the temperature and humidity that the drum was stored in? When it was delivered to you, did UPS leave it in a hot and humid warehouse for hours during the middle of August on the Gulf of Mexico? Did the UPS guy leave it in the sun on your front step for hours? Did you have it stored in a temperature and humidity controlled environment the entire time you have had it? Now, even if you can swear to doing everything possible to keep this snare drum in New condition, and you bought it directly from a store so it was NEVER in someone else's control, do you think that Reverb or anyone running a resale business should just take everyone's word for it? Sure, they should believe you because you know that you did everything (that you can think of) to keep this snare drum new... But knowing human nature, do you think they should believe everyone? They are protecting the users of their website. It is not a slight aimed at you. There are nefarious sellers out there. Heck I saw a drum someone bought recently and posted about it here on DFO; someone went through a bit of trouble/work to make a possibly non-Ludwig snare look like a B/O badge Ludwig snare. (Side note, people sell counterfeit badges) Imagine if someone rebadged a bunch of drums and listed them on Reverb as new... there would inevitably be people that bought them. I would wager something like this happened which caused Reverb to change their policies to what they are now. Buying from an Authorized Dealer, even if they say as-is, you still have recourse if the item was misrepresented. The buyer could contact the manufacturer, who wants to protect their business image, so they may take care of the buyer, or force the dealer to do so.

And if you actually read all of that, thank you. Also, I search for drums that are not sold by manufacturer's dealers on Reverb. I want to buy from the guy that has one of what I want and he is selling it. If I wanted to buy from a music store, I would go to one. Same with cars by the way, I will not buy from car dealers, but that is another story. So list as like new or mint or whatever Reverb has asked you to do, and in the description, write that you bought this set of cymbals from Sweetwater, and when they arrived you decided that you wanted something else, so you never opened them, and instead are selling them for less than you paid. I would be more likely to buy from you than Sweetwater in that case (I have nothing against Sweetwater and do buy things from them, my sales rep there is awesome). On a side note, if you never opened something, how do you know it is not damaged or with some manufacturer's defect, or the manufacturer forgot to put something in there, or they accidently put a set of ZBT cymbals in a K custom box?

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If said car in your example sat in your garage for 12 years, it has tires that are shot and many dried out seals/gaskets, the engine will have to be stripped down, to an extent, and seals/gaskets replaced. So it is most certainly NOT "more than mint". I believe the term is barn find. You have a car in excellent condition, but it is not what it was sitting on the showroom floor 12 years ago. Can you drive it like it is after sitting for 12 years? Maybe, but it will be leaking and the tires are likely to blow out and cause an accident. That being said, you probably end up with a car that is EXTREMELY sought after and people would pay a high premium for it. If you did the same thing with a Spizzichino cymbal, you have a small fortune. Please keep reading for a musical instrument example that I think may help.

Same with something you or I buy, like a wooden snare drum. How about the temperature and humidity that the drum was stored in? When it was delivered to you, did UPS leave it in a hot and humid warehouse for hours during the middle of August on the Gulf of Mexico? Did the UPS guy leave it in the sun on your front step for hours? Did you have it stored in a temperature and humidity controlled environment the entire time you have had it? Now, even if you can swear to doing everything possible to keep this snare drum in New condition, and you bought it directly from a store so it was NEVER in someone else's control, do you think that Reverb or anyone running a resale business should just take everyone's word for it? Sure, they should believe you because you know that you did everything (that you can think of) to keep this snare drum new... But knowing human nature, do you think they should believe everyone? They are protecting the users of their website. It is not a slight aimed at you. There are nefarious sellers out there. Heck I saw a drum someone bought recently and posted about it here on DFO; someone went through a bit of trouble/work to make a non-Ludwig snare look like and B/O badge Ludwig snare. (Side note, people sell counterfeit badges) Imagine if someone rebadged a bunch of drums and listed them on Reverb as new... there would inevitably be people that bought them. I would wager something like this happened which caused Reverb to change their policies to what they are now. Buying from an Authorized Dealer, even if they say as-is, you still have recourse if the item was misrepresented. The buyer could contact the manufacturer, who wants to protect their business image, so they may take care of the buyer, or force the dealer to do so.

And if you actually read all of that, thank you. Also, I search for drums that are not sold by manufacturer's dealers on Reverb. I want to buy from the guy that has one of what I want and he is selling it. If I wanted to buy from a music store, I would go to one. Same with cars by the way, I will not buy from car dealers, but that is another story. So list as like new or mint or whatever Reverb has asked you to do, and in the description, write that you bought this set of cymbals from Sweetwater, and when they arrived you decided that you wanted something else, so you never opened them, and instead are selling them for less than you paid. I would be more likely to buy from you than Sweetwater in that case (I have nothing against Sweetwater and do buy things from them, my sales rep there is awesome). On a side note, if you never opened something, how do you know it is not damaged or with some manufacturer's defect, or the manufacturer forgot to put something in there, or they accidently put a set of ZBT cymbals in a K custom box?
I get your thinking but my "barn find" was rolled weekly by GM and kept in a climate controlled environment. Trust me it's new! This isn't the type of barn find that you see on TV shows! You are thinking of something else and this ain't it. My car was owned by the factory! This is a new car with perfect seals, gaskets etc.. I had a full blown pre-buy inspection done by the GM master tech that I use and it has a perfect bill of health just like the day it left the factory in 2009. Even the original tires were checked inside and out and they were like new. I changed out the tires anyways in order to drive it whenever I want. They were 12 years old so I did it for my own safety! Believe me that not even the guys at my local club can believe what it is. And funny thing is that I bought it to drive it & enjoy it, not to leave it parked. Anyways, this ain't a car forum so we'll leave it at that. I was just using my car as an example for the thread topic and not as a point of conversation. In the end, as I said before, the "new" thing will be perceived differently by different people. We can go in circles all day with it. But it is what it is!

Last edited:

kzac

Reaction score
I have been selling on Reverb for a little over a year with no issues until now. I am 100% honest and transparent on every item that I list and sell. I have nothing but positive feedback and happy customers. That’s why I was very confused to find my account suspended the other day. Reverb sent me an email about it and I replied back to them a couple of times. I really don’t understand what their problem is. Apparently I can‘t list items as brand new unless I am a dealer? This is news to me. I guess I am supposed to lie to my customers about my item’s condition? Be careful about being honest on Reverb and selling items that are brand new. They will close your account…

None of this makes any sense to me and idk why they just decided to enforce this now. I am angry. I guess all the money I’ve made them means nothing. I even had a few potential sales this week on Reverb, but now I’m screwed. I will be closing my account and moving back to eBay. What a shame. BTW their customer service is a joke. They don’t even have a phone number.

Email #1:

Email #2:

Your running into rights issues with photographs. Reverb cannot allow sellers to use photographs of items owned by the OEM. aka stock photos.
You will need to setup your own photo studio and take your own pictures of items you are selling on Reverb.
Obviously an OEM's lawyers called Reverb to remind them that sellers doing such things is an illegal act. and knock it off of face law suits.

You therefore got dinged (like so many others) in the process.

This is not about you personally its about an OEM proclaiming their rights to images they produced...

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Your running into rights issues with photographs. Reverb cannot allow sellers to use photographs of items owned by the OEM. aka stock photos.
You will need to setup your own photo studio and take your own pictures of items you are selling on Reverb.
Obviously an OEM's lawyers called Reverb to remind them that sellers doing such things is an illegal act. and knock it off of face law suits.

You therefore got dinged (like so many others) in the process.

This is not about you personally its about an OEM proclaiming their rights to images they produced...
That's not the issue at all. Legitimate dealers are able to use stock photographs for truly "new" products.

Daninflag

Reaction score
I have been selling on Reverb for a little over a year with no issues until now. I am 100% honest and transparent on every item that I list and sell. I have nothing but positive feedback and happy customers. That’s why I was very confused to find my account suspended the other day. Reverb sent me an email about it and I replied back to them a couple of times. I really don’t understand what their problem is. Apparently I can‘t list items as brand new unless I am a dealer? This is news to me. I guess I am supposed to lie to my customers about my item’s condition? Be careful about being honest on Reverb and selling items that are brand new. They will close your account…

None of this makes any sense to me and idk why they just decided to enforce this now. I am angry. I guess all the money I’ve made them means nothing. I even had a few potential sales this week on Reverb, but now I’m screwed. I will be closing my account and moving back to eBay. What a shame. BTW their customer service is a joke. They don’t even have a phone number.

Email #1:

Email #2:

I got that same e-mail, I just list it as mint, but in the description I say new condition, open box, unused, ect.

Lord Ny

Reaction score
I get your thinking but my "barn find" was rolled weekly by GM and kept in a climate controlled environment. Trust me it's new! This isn't the type of barn find that you see on TV shows! You are thinking of something else and this ain't it. My car was owned by the factory! This is a new car with perfect seals, gaskets etc.. That's why it's sold as new by GM! If it had issues, it wouldn't be! Regardless, I had a full blown pre-buy inspection done by the GM master tech that I use and it has a perfect bill of health just like the day it left the factory in 2009. Even the original tires were checked inside and out and they were like new. I changed out the tires anyways in order to drive it whenever I want. They were 12 years old so I did it for my own safety! Believe me that not even the guys at my local club can believe what it is. And funny thing is that I know what it's worth but I bought it to drive it and that's what I've been doing. Anyways, this ain't a car forum so we'll leave it at that. I was just using my car as an example for the thread topic and not as a point of conversation. In the end, as I said before, the "new" thing will be perceived differently by different people. We can go in circles all day with it. But it is what it is!
I should not have responded to your car example. However, did you read my musical instrument example?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should not have responded to your car example. However, did you read my musical instrument example?
It's ok my friend, you are entitled to state anything that you feel. It's all good!
Yes I read and just reread about the instrument. You are correct! I totally agree.
But I will still stand behind one tiny thing that I believe:
If both parties agree that it's "new" and the seller is
"unmistakably honest and transparent" about what he's selling then it's ok. Both sides agree!
Now, I base this on a private sale and not on a Reverb, eBay etc.. sale!
I had mentioned it before that if you sell through an online venue and they have rules, the rules are the rules and they must be complied with.
Take care,
LRod

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I've only skimmed the 5 pages of posts, so forgive me if this has been covered; I wonder what brand product the OP was selling as new? I was a factory rep for nearly 20 years (LP, Zildjian, Pearl). When online sales first rose to prominence, some of the manufacturers got very particular about who was selling "new" product. The selling platforms don't care if you're a dealer or not, but they have no choice but to act if the manufacturers' lawyers' send polite, yet firmly worded letters. It is certainly within their right to control how their product is presented to the public. Some companies get overly militant, others don't care at all.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I get your thinking but my "barn find" was rolled weekly by GM and kept in a climate controlled environment. Trust me it's new! This isn't the type of barn find that you see on TV shows! You are thinking of something else and this ain't it. My car was owned by the factory! This is a new car with perfect seals, gaskets etc.. That's why it's sold as new by GM! If it had issues, it wouldn't be! Regardless, I had a full blown pre-buy inspection done by the GM master tech that I use and it has a perfect bill of health just like the day it left the factory in 2009. Even the original tires were checked inside and out and they were like new. I changed out the tires anyways in order to drive it whenever I want. They were 12 years old so I did it for my own safety! Believe me that not even the guys at my local club can believe what it is. And funny thing is that I know what it's worth but I bought it to drive it and that's what I've been doing. Anyways, this ain't a car forum so we'll leave it at that. I was just using my car as an example for the thread topic and not as a point of conversation. In the end, as I said before, the "new" thing will be perceived differently by different people. We can go in circles all day with it. But it is what it is!
What the heck car is it ??? Got pics I’m sure !!
I’d like to see it .