header.nohb.html

OT: Rolling Stones "Blue And Lonesome"

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love it, too. Great energy to the performances and recordings. Everyone is doing it like they mean it. And it's a wonderful document of everything that was fantastic about the late, great Charlie.

I understand that this was done fairly spontaneously and wasn't really planned as an album; they were just having some (serious) fun, and it sounds that way.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Just as I don't want to hear a set of dudes from Chicago doing traditional Irish folk tunes, I don't want to hear multi-millionaire Londoners playing the "blooze."

Worse when there are attempts to mimic an ethnic accent.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as I don't want to hear a set of dudes from Chicago doing traditional Irish folk tunes, I don't want to hear multi-millionaire Londoners playing the "blooze."

Blooooze !!!!!, bahahahahahaha
That’s how I spell it in this context as well !!!

Perfect …

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score

You do understand that the Stones are originally a blues band, right?

From wikipedia:
Rooted in blues and early rock and roll, the Rolling Stones started out playing covers and were at the forefront of the British Invasion in 1964, also being identified with the youthful and rebellious counterculture of the 1960s.

They also play lots of blues on their recordings and in their concerts.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
You do understand that the Stones are originally a blues band, right?

From wikipedia:
Rooted in blues and early rock and roll, the Rolling Stones started out playing covers and were at the forefront of the British Invasion in 1964, also being identified with the youthful and rebellious counterculture of the 1960s.

They also play lots of blues on their recordings and in their concerts.

Yes, I can see how teenagers 4,500 miles away from the American South would fundamentally misunderstand what the blues was.

As an example, the Stones' first album included songs by Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Rufus Thomas and Route 66 ... They thought anything with a harmonica on it was blues. That was never true.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Yeah, my band covered the early Stones and it was all Blues and R&B, and the Chicago Bluesmen dug the Stones.
The didn't care what some 21st century whiner thinks Blues should be. The Blues enjoyed a rebirth from the British invasion, and some Southern rock took it forward.

Know whereof you speak or STFU

Last edited:

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I can see how teenagers 4,500 miles away from the American South would fundamentally misunderstand what the blues was.

As an example, the Stones' first album included songs by Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Rufus Thomas and Route 66 ... They thought anything with a harmonica on it was blues. That was never true.

I admit I found your sarcasm very funny, but they’ve covered enough legit blues music to call themselves a blues band. It truly was their thing when they started out, but they veered off and the rest is history. But they all still love that music and I think they play it with genuine respect for where it came from and authenticity.
Really? No one else?
I've had this CD in the player for a few days and am not tired of it. And, I don't usually do that.
I like it. I haven’t listened to it recently, but I did a lot when it came out 5 or 6 years ago and it’s a cool record. But I prefer the period from 1968-1981…

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just find blues very boring .
I’ve played my share of blues gigs …

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, my band covered the early Stones and it was all Blues and R&B, and the Chicago Bluesmen dug the Stones.
The didn't care what some 21st century whiner thinks Blues should be. The Blues enjoyed a rebirth from the British invasion, and some Southern rock took it forward.

Know whereof you speak or STFU
I own that Muddy Waters DVD. One of my favorites.

drummer083

Reaction score
This has been in regular rotation in my truck since it was released, and I picked up the double-LP for home.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
But for me , that Stones album bores me to tears as does 90% of blues albums ..
Just my opinion …….

I’m not hating , just saying how I feel .