OT - Rolling Stones Summer Stadium Tour

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was just talking about making plans for Buffalo. I saw them last summer at Gillette Stadium and they were fantastic. Charlie turns 79 in June, Mick 77 in July and Keith 77 in December.

Are they the same band as they were in 1972 or 1975? Nope. Are they still a great band? Yes! Wild horses couldn't drag me away from seeing Charlie and the boys.

4A3898D1-AEC9-4AE1-92CD-1ED280C7FF19_1_201_a.jpeg

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
They put on a great show. Honestly, the best “big venue” show that I’ve personally seen. The focus is still mostly on the music, which I appreciate. Second favorite big venue show was seeing Mayer.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They put on a great show. Honestly, the best “big venue” show that I’ve personally seen. The focus is still mostly on the music, which I appreciate. Second favorite big venue show was seeing Mayer.
Exactly. They've mastered playing enormo-dome shows. Mick knows how to work the room. When they started playing stadiums in 1989, they were still learning. By the late 90s they hit their stride. I hate stadium shows as much as the next guy, but when it comes to the Stones, I make an exception. :)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I'll be at the Louisville show for sure. They aren't going to do this forever. They are the STONES. You can't see them enough times, period. How many of you would say "I really saw the Beatles too many times."? Exactly. There is nobody left to take the mantle, go see them while you can.
If The Beatles had released their last decent album in 1976, but continued touring for 40 years after that with a new bassist, guitarist and a bunch of pick-up players, I think I'd probably pass up the opportunity to pay $100-plus to see them play a football stadium on what's likely to be the hottest day of the year.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If The Beatles had released their last decent album in 1976, but continued touring for 40 years after that with a new bassist, guitarist and a bunch of pick-up players, I think I'd probably pass up the opportunity to pay $100-plus to see them play a football stadium on what's likely to be the hottest day of the year.
That is your personal and subjective criteria for the choice that you wish to make for yourself. Mine is that it's The Rolling Stones and they aren't going to do this forever. I'll take my chances by taking my daughter to see them. She can be one of the few in her generation to say she saw the Stones live. I'm 100% good with that.

I'll also add that the Stones' new bass player, guitarist, and "pick-up players" are some of the biggest badasses in the history of music. Again, that's my personal and subjective criteria for making my choice.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I caught them at the Orange Bowl in Miami from the third row center on the 1989 Steel Wheels tour.

In 2015 a big group of friends and family went to the Zip Code tour in Pittsburgh. We were in the rafters.

The sound was infinitely better at Heinz field in 2015 than it was at the Orange Bowl in 1989.

My wife and I are likely going to go.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow. I just priced decent seats (not great seats) for their Louisville show...$761 for 2 tickets! I can almost do a week on the beach in Florida for that kind of money. I think I'll have to pass.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow. I just priced decent seats (not great seats) for their Louisville show...$761 for 2 tickets! I can almost do a week on the beach in Florida for that kind of money. I think I'll have to pass.
I just got two great seats for Alter Bridge for about 160 Canadian. Much better singer. :)

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Fair enough for those happy to live with their Stones experience. The cost of these shows down here would make your wallet bleed. But no worries on the ROI with the Stones. Charlie only has one setting : showtime. Darryl being a badass; the whole band shambles along quite nicely. How could this not be fun? It’s bags of fun. If you like your rock, with roll, it’s a great night out.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I have never seen them after all of these years, so my wife, a friend and his wife are going.
He saw them in 1972 from the front row of the old St. Louis Arena.
We will need handkerchiefs to stop our noses from bleeding at the St. Louis Dome.
Figured I better see them before they die. Just never got around to it or could afford it on previous tours. But, as somebody else mentioned, I'd rather watch a band in a club any day over a stadium or auditorium.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Darryl Jones. He's an incredible bassist! HOWEVER the band isn't as good as when Bill Wyman was playing--There were so many great bass lines he created for them--but Darryl is a good replacement, probably as good as you could ask for. Some of their sound went out the door when Bill left.
But he's pretty much playing Bill's bass lines in all these songs....you kind of have to (songs like Bitch, Can't you hear me knockin,....) Perhaps you mean he doesn't have the same as Bill's tone. Bill was cool just as a standing statue back by his amp. I don't like a bassist jumping around.

I still think the Stones can play but have no interest in hundreds of dollars for nosebleed seats.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw the Stones in '81 at JFK Stadium in Philly. At that time, I remember joking with my buddies in school that we'd better see them now, they're getting old. I would go, but my summer concert budget is already blown.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I should mention that I saw them in 2007, and they were great. Glad I got to see them with Bobby Keys.
When I complained about ticket prices to my brother, he had to remind me of when he saw them in 1972, 50 feet from the stage, for $5.00.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of stadium or arena shows regardless of the band. The sound is usually horrible and I can't afford/won't spend $1000/ticket to get seats that are still 100 feet away. That being said, I'll still see bands I like but I'll get the nosebleed seats. If the Stones have the energy to tour, why not? There are still loads of fans across every generation who still want to see them. I think it's cool that there are people young enough to be Jagger's wife who still want to see them.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
That is your personal and subjective criteria for the choice that you wish to make for yourself. Mine is that it's The Rolling Stones and they aren't going to do this forever. I'll take my chances by taking my daughter to see them. She can be one of the few in her generation to say she saw the Stones live. I'm 100% good with that.

I'll also add that the Stones' new bass player, guitarist, and "pick-up players" are some of the biggest badasses in the history of music. Again, that's my personal and subjective criteria for making my choice.
You lost me at the "last good album in 1976." Some of my favorite stones is just after '76 with Woody in there! Emotional Rescue, etc.. But as I said earlier this was heavy with original funky/dance bass and drums riffs and they are less than they were with Bill Wyman! I'm a huge Darryl Jones fan too!