OT: Shaking off a little grief...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I had to put one of my cats down today. He’s been on a downward spiral. Honestly, I made the call to end it because he was not happy. Thing is he started crawling into bed with us which he’s never done in 13 years. Last night I picked him up because he tried to get on the bed but fell. We knew then it was time.

I hate this. But my wife and I know we did the right thing. The vet was 100% with us. He only weighed 8 pounds and has lost 5 in the last two weeks. Kidney thing.

In the pic, my wife with Abner at the vet this morning.

Out on a LONG walk shakin’ it out.

A9CEBA3B-B901-4076-90E3-9D9824F3B347.jpeg 4B787D41-F234-4A08-8371-65240DC200C8.jpeg
75B4BF36-DF4A-4CCB-830C-B867C2A04CB2.jpeg

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been there many times.
Never easy to do, but after a certain point always the best option.

polycrescendo

Reaction score
So sorry. Animals are like family. I am an animal person and even more a cat person. You did the right thing, you gave him a good life and didn't let him suffer.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, no! I feel for you, Dan. I had to do this to my two cats a few years ago, about a year apart.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, I hate to hear that. We attach to pets and such and it's so hard to say goodbye ... a hug from a drummer sent your way, Dan.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never easy to do. I feel your grief as well. Know you did the right thing. Sending positive thoughts your way...

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, my son's old black Lab, Spaz, was attacked by a pit bull and nearly killed. It was pitiful watching such a precious dog suffer as he tried to heal, but it was obvious that he wasn't going to make it. At the vet's recommendation, my son decided to put him down.

On That Day, despite my son's insistence that he'd be ok, I accompanied them to the vet. My son held up very well. But, when the vet inserted the needle into Spaz's leg, he lovingly started licking the vet's hand. That's when my son lost it, bawling loudly without any ability to restrain himself. Even the vet's eyes moistened.

I don't know why I take pets - especially dogs - so seriously. But when I look into their eyes, especially the tender, affectionate ones, I sense more than "just" an animal. God created very special creatures when He created dogs, and it infuriates me to see one neglected, ignored, or outright mistreated. I've yet to find a dog that simply will not respond to love, and that's a very human trait.

GeeDeeEmm

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My condolences. We lost our (my) cat in January. The boy (6) took it real hard. I wasn't even able to be in there with her when the vet put her down because my son was so upset, so my wife (NOT a cat person) had to do that while I tried to console the boy.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can't stand cats (been attacked twice!) - love dogs (bitten once!) - but I totally get it.....sorry for your loss....take comfort knowing it's playing with that great ball of yarn in the sky now.....and he's pain free.......

pete

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i'm so sorry to read this Dan. i lost my cat Philly (my profile pic) a couple years ago to kidney disease. i fear that i kept him too long out of selfishness/fear of losing him/delusion that he was ok. it sounds like you did the right thing. it seems to get harder every time. i tear up just reading threads like this.

Rotarded

Reaction score
Had to put ours down New Years Day after she collapsed. She was a few months short of 20 years old. We got her weeks after moving into our house. It was hard to be in the house for weeks afterward, because we had never been there without her. I feel your pain. Condolences!

pocketwave

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Be proud you gave Abner a great life and in return you have fantastic memories!

stevil

Reaction score
I had to euthanize two very beloved cats this year. One had kidney and heart failure, and the other had a whole host of problems that the vets couldn't pin down. It's a devastating thing to go through. I'm sorry for your loss.

One thing that helped me somewhat to remember is that, even though we love them as if they're people, they have very brief lifespans compared to ours. Inevitably that means being with them as their lives must naturally end. It doesn't make it less painful, but the sense of perspective helped me contextualize my pain and sadness.

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh man, so sorry to hear this. I haven't had to do this myself, so I can only imagine what it's like. Hoping my fuzzy feline roommate sticks around for a very long time - I will be a wreck when that day comes. Sending good vibes your way, Dan.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very sorry Dan. My wife and I have had many cats and dogs over the years and it never gets easier. As part of the pet owner responsibility we need to recognize when it's time and help them pass. I'll never get used to it but the time with them more than makes up for these moments. Take care.

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of the worst things in the world. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. My condolences to you and your family.

Latest posts