OT: Shrinkflation

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anybody else notice a lot of beer is now in 11.7 OZ containers while the prices continue to inflate?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody else notice a lot of beer is now in 11.7 OZ containers while the prices continue to inflate?
I haven't seen that yet. It won't surprise me if I do. But beer has been on its own inflationary pace over the last decade or two. It's gotten really expensive.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Could make your own brew or maybe everyone in USA should think about the size of things they consume and consider using less.

“It has been suggested that if everyone on the planet consumed as much as the average US citizen, four Earths would be needed to sustain them.” BBC News

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stella Artois started it. Blame them.
I refuse to buy a beer that isn't a full 12oz. Then again, I buy it by the keg.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Point of the thread is that yesterday you were charged $3 for 12oz. Today you are being charged $3 but for 11.7oz. That is shrinkflation. But I live out here in flyover country and don’t subscribe to a bunch of group hug mumbo jumbo. I leave that to the coasts.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Point of the thread is that yesterday you were charged $3 for 12oz. Today you are being charged $3 but for 11.7oz. That is shrinkflation. But I live out here in flyover country and don’t subscribe to a bunch of group hug mumbo jumbo. I leave that to the coasts.
I’m still pissed about shrinking toilet paper rolls. Pretty soon you’ll be able to fit two rolls side-by-side on a toilet paper hanger.

That’s why I get Kirkland TP at Costco.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beer and toilet paper are great examples of where using “less” is better for your health and your wallet

1A5FB71D-4E6A-478F-8F69-DDED75A47B2E.jpeg

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m still pissed about shrinking toilet paper rolls. Pretty soon you’ll be able to fit two rolls side-by-side on a toilet paper hanger.

That’s why I get Kirkland TP at Costco.
don't get me started. When I was a kid, Kleenex tissues were the size of bedsheets. Now they're so small I need one for each nostril. Humbug.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have not noticed on the beer but for years containers giving you an impression they are some they are not till you actually read the container weight/volume.? Example a pound of coffee and a half gallon of ice cream.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have not noticed on the beer but for years containers giving you an impression they are some they are not till you actually read the container weight/volume.? Example a pound of coffee and a half gallon of ice cream.
exactly it not new. Now that some folks have noticed this “tactic” for the first time, you have to ask yourself do I really need that much ice cream or do I need it at all? It’s all about how much of a certain product you actually use that drives the cost

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beer and toilet paper are great examples of where using “less” is better for your health and your wallet

View attachment 514602
Guessing one leads to the other.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Or bottles that appear normal size and then when turned upside down the bottom indents enough to affect the content volume.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm
Stella Artois is 11.2 oz, which is a typical 33 CL size in Europe.
Apparently Stella will start getting brewed in the US soon, I wonder what size the bottles will be.

Are any these shrinkflation beers US beers?
Guessing 7oz pony bottles. The price will remain the same, of course.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Could make your own brew or maybe everyone in USA should think about the size of things they consume and consider using less.

“It has been suggested that if everyone on the planet consumed as much as the average US citizen, four Earths would be needed to sustain them.” BBC News

The key word is "suggested", meaning no proof, just a news source trying to get some more hits.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The key word is "suggested", meaning no proof, just a news source trying to get some more hits.
here’s a 2020 study by the University of Michigan for “your proof”

don’t think the Wolverines are just a news source in it for the “hits”

It’s now up to 5 btw.

“The U.S. population is expected to grow from 329 million in 2020 to 404 million by 2060.1,2 One way to quantify environmental impacts is by estimating how many Earths would be needed to sustain the global population if everyone lived a particular lifestyle. One study estimates it would take 5 Earths to support the human population if everyone’s consumption patterns were similar to the average American.”