OT: Sick bass player (not in a good way...)

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I get to go visit our bassist today. That sounds pretty mundane without some backstory, I suppose.

A couple of weeks ago, my friend and our bassist, Jim, became ill with fever, chills, etc. He took a day off work, which is very rare for him. This was back on Good Friday. Within a few days, he was in the hospital and what has unfolded since then defies my imagination. Turns out he was bitten by a spider, which caused a blood infection, which damaged his heart valve (he had replacement surgery 20 years ago). He contracted pneumonia and had several small strokes due to the valve damage. The meds he was on caused organ failure so now he is on dialysis. They are pumping out liters of fluid with each session, which actually helps his lungs. At one point, he stopped breathing and was put on a ventilator and moved to ICU. Am I missing anything? Oh, his only daughter is due to have her first baby any day now. So as of yesterday, he has been off the ventilator and was moved out of ICU to the stroke ward. He should remain there until he has surgery to fix the valve. The family sent a message last night that I could visit today for the first time. They also warned that he would likely be sedated or might not recognize me due to the meds. Jim is the hardest working guy I know and normally very fit. He surfs a couple of days a week with his son, works various physical jobs, and never slows down. This has been very hard on everyone, especially his wife, as you might imagine. She's the one with chronic health issues and Jim is always taking care of her. All three kids are grown and married. I'm excited to see him but also a little wary. It will be hard to see him in his current condition. Also, the stroke ward at this hospital is where my mom died after what I feel was neglect at the hands of the nursing staff. We sued and lost as it is next to impossible to win a medical malpractice suit against a large corporation in this city (as we found out after the fact!). The jury was split and their lawyers were brutal to me and my family. So they countered and were awarded a small fortune against my sister and I that coincidentally, just was recorded in court earlier this week. So I get to go back to the scene of the crime and will do my best to focus on my friend and not on terrible personal memories...

BSP_5354.jpg

orvilleb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hope you are doing well. Can’t imagine the emotional stress to revisit the scene of horrible memories about your mom’s death to visit a friend in a similar circumstance. Your being there for him means a lot.

God Bless!

chollyred

Reaction score
Prayers for you and your friend Jim! I used to work with a lady that was bitten by a brown recluse and passed from the complications.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jeez..............what a wild series of events..............sorry to hear all the bad news.
Under the circumstances, I think it is great to be strong enough to go see and support your friend...........good for you.
We all hope he will regain his strength and walk away from this in due time.

Last edited:

dangermoney

Reaction score
Sepsis can be a very dangerous and scary condition. I have gone through this several times with my wife and so far she has survived it without organ damage. I sincerely hope that your friend beats this and is able to get back to leading a normal life again ...

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many prayers for your friend and everyone involved.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
My bassist and best friend Jim passed away last night. I received the message as we were auditioning a long-term sub bassist. I had spent several hours with him the night before. His damaged heart valve had begun to leak and he was having difficulty breathing due to the fluid build-up. We were just waiting for improved strength so he could have the valve replaced. He had been doing so well before. Prior to the valve leak, he had been back to his old self albeit with limited strength due to the stroke effects. He got to meet his new granddaughter and even wrote her a little song that he sang to her while she lay on his chest in the hospital. His daughter captured it on video and sent me a copy. I had visited him often and he went from being incoherent and crying out for help, to being his old self in a very short time. The setback was unexpected, but he was still sharp mentally. I'm not in a good place right now and have not been in contact with the family yet.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a patch of dry skin on my elbow that split and let in some nasty bacteria last fall . Turned into septic cellulitis and I came very close to losing most of my left arm . Caught in time and I was on IV anti-bio for 46 days .

These things can happen and I sure hope your buddy pulls through OK .

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this terrible news. Hope you get through this sorrow. We are here for you.
Rob

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
man o man what a drag .

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. Long time band members are as close as brothers and sisters. I hope you and his family are able to get some rest and find peace in the circumstance. Take care and God bless.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
So sorry man. Life has it's way of turning everything upside down. Hope he gets better soon.