OT: Sick bass player (not in a good way...)

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My bassist and best friend Jim passed away last night. I received the message as we were auditioning a long-term sub bassist. I had spent several hours with him the night before. His damaged heart valve had begun to leak and he was having difficulty breathing due to the fluid build-up. We were just waiting for improved strength so he could have the valve replaced. He had been doing so well before. Prior to the valve leak, he had been back to his old self albeit with limited strength due to the stroke effects. He got to meet his new granddaughter and even wrote her a little song that he sang to her while she lay on his chest in the hospital. His daughter captured it on video and sent me a copy. I had visited him often and he went from being incoherent and crying out for help, to being his old self in a very short time. The setback was unexpected, but he was still sharp mentally. I'm not in a good place right now and have not been in contact with the family yet.
OM gosh. Prayers sent. This thread has got me tearing and sniffling and I never met him. What a horrible outcome for the back story. I know this has been rough on all of you.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of his struggles and passing. Treasure the memories, share what you can with friends and family.

All of you take care of yourselves, your family, your friends, and keep playing music to make others smile!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is heartbreaking. I am very sorry you, your friend and his family all had to go through this. And now for what faces his family.

drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man so sorry to hear such sad news.
Positive thoughts to all of you.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, so hard when a good friend, musician or not, passes. I've lost a number, and the music, the humor and the stories we all shared, that no one else knew, gone with the wind. Condolences.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. That is a pretty rough set of events for him and all his family and friends to go through.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my guitar players had a full on mental breakdown last night and we helped him out of it.