header.nohb.html

OT: Slow Sports Cars

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why do old rich dudes pay something like $100k for a car with something like 700hp so they can drive it 20mph under the speed limit on Saturday afternoons?

I have a regular gig that involves a TX hill country commute and these dudes make the drive absolutely brutal. Why do they go to such expense to then go 40 in a 60 with a truck full of drums riding their bumper? It's not just one or two. If I manage to pass one, I'll inevitably happen upon a slow moving caravan of Shelby replicas a few miles later. The hills are crawling with old dudes crawling through the hills in spectacularly able-motored vehicles. Let me tell you, when an '87 22R is passing you on the highway, you're really going slow. My truck came stock with 90hp decades ago when it was brand new. Their Z06 or hellcat has nearly 10x the hp but I'm passing them. Over and over. No way around it. They fill all the side highways.

What brought this to mind was a recent post about 30" cymbals. A video linked in the responses made me think, "wanted: giant cymbals to ding around on nicely," which in turn made me think, "wanted: giant motor to putter around in."

TL;DR:
I need to mount a cowcatcher on my truck to clear annoying, expensive obstacles from my gig route.
truck cowcatcher.jpeg

P.S.: I'm not ageist or sexist in any way. This flock of pokey musclecar drivers descending on the hill country is really 100% 65+ men, by my observations. It's the USA and they have a right to do it, and I have a right to vent about the 50% increase in my commute time.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We have their younger equivalent up here on the nj/ny/pa border area. 30-50 year old techy looking males on race replica bikes in color matched leathers choking up our scenic routes, especially Bear Mountain and the Hawks Nest. Its always extra frustrating on the Hawks Nest as I’m usually up that way to go camping. If my 32 year old 60hp bike 2 up and overloaded with camping gear isn’t near its limits, I think the Ducati's can pick up the pace

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That cowcatcher could come in handy in more ways than one. If I recall correctly from my visit to the hill country, there are areas with plenty of cattle and no fences next to the road.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We have their younger equivalent up here on the nj/ny/pa border area. 30-50 year old techy looking males on race replica bikes in color matched leathers choking up our scenic routes, especially Bear Mountain and the Hawks Nest. Its always extra frustrating on the Hawks Nest as I’m usually up that way to go camping. If my 32 year old 60hp bike 2 up and overloaded with camping gear isn’t near its limits, I think the Ducati's can pick up the pace
This made me think of how, when visiting the Smokies last week, I obliviously found myself driving an SUV loaded down for vacation on the highway section famously known (to everyone but me) as "The Dragon's Tail." The tables turned on me, and I had swarms of Knievel wannabes on my tail and zipping around blind curves sideways. I really hated that drive.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

As Pat said in that later post, I've got the opposite problem up here in NorCal: young "males on race replica bikes in color matched leathers" getting right up my tail on the twisties, then often choosing to pass in incredibly dangerous places ...... it's tough to pull over and give 'em room when there's no shoulder.

I own good handling bikes (not the old Ironhead in my avatar pic!), like to carve the corners as much as anyone ...... but I stick to 5 mph over the speed limit. I get off on trying to maintain a precise line without the need for maximum braking. In other words, an old fuddy-duddy.

I stay off the popular "race track" roads on weekends. No desire to go around that corner and be first on the scene of a gruesome head-on .........

M.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This made me think of how, when visiting the Smokies last week, I obliviously found myself driving an SUV loaded down for vacation on the highway section famously known (to everyone but me) as "The Dragon's Tail." The tables turned on me, and I had swarms of Knievel wannabes on my tail and zipping around blind curves sideways. I really hated that drive.
The dragon was fun on the bike but I imagine its a miserable road if you actually need it to get somewhere

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take plenty of back roads......and that makes up for driving in traffic. Sometimes just for a cruise and sometimes a faster cruise!

Might as well play a First Act kit if you don't gig. But I prefer playing a Gretsch RB even though I'll never play the Village Vanguard.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Routinely see 911’s of all years, M5’s, AMG’s, and even the occasional McLaren or Ferrari being driven at 30 around the twisty roads north of NYC and doing 50 on the highways around here as well.

The only thing more annoying is my one friend who defends them by saying “well you can’t go fast everywhere...”

rwm5

Reaction score
Just because you can afford the car, doesn’t mean you can drive it, especially at the limit of what it can do. Limits that should not be explored on public roads I might add.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
We mostly have the extremely loud motorcycles or the cars purposely tuned to backfire so it sounds like gunshots. As a teenager/young adult I liked the sporty cars and even had a VW Squareback that wasn't really sporty but was really fun to drive when it wasn't 110 outside. However, now I just want a comfortable ride with decent gas mileage and room for my drums and the occasional plywood sheet for building projects at home.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I used to own a '66 Corvette (long story). Sure, I would open it up now and again, but it really was just as fun to cruise (top down, of course). I was surprised at how cheap the insurance was. Then I realized that nearly all owners of cars like that were old men who are very careful and only drive on nice days. Insurance companies know that -- hence cheap rates.
If some punk wanted to tailgate, I slowed down. It's a speed limit, not minimum. "50% increase in my commute time!" Really? Double? Patience is a virtue and for some it sadly only comes with age. Even in my pokey old Honda, I still slow down when I'm being tailgated. Tailgating is rude and dangerous.
Of course, having spent as much time on a bicycle as I have now, I tend to drive slower than ever -- like an old man!
I'm not one for bumper stickers, but I saw one that was tempting:
"Go ahead and pass, I left on time."

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to own a '66 Corvette (long story). Sure, I would open it up now and again, but it really was just as fun to cruise (top down, of course). I was surprised at how cheap the insurance was. Then I realized that nearly all owners of cars like that were old men who are very careful and only drive on nice days. Insurance companies know that -- hence cheap rates.
If some punk wanted to tailgate, I slowed down. It's a speed limit, not minimum. "50% increase in my commute time!" Really? Double? Patience is a virtue and for some it sadly only comes with age. Even in my pokey old Honda, I still slow down when I'm being tailgated. Tailgating is rude and dangerous.
Of course, having spent as much time on a bicycle as I have now, I tend to drive slower than ever -- like an old man!
I'm not one for bumper stickers, but I saw one that was tempting:
"Go ahead and pass, I left on time."
40 in a 60 is a little extreme. And when you know someone behind you might have somewhere to be, at least pull over to let them around if you're driving on God's time. If it's one lane or I'm in the left lane and somebody's on my ass, sure he might be a jerk, or maybe it's some horrible emergency like their daughter bleeding to death in the passenger seat, so I get the hell out of their way. Getting out of other people's way is incredibly easy.

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
40 in a 60 is a little extreme. And when you know someone behind you might have somewhere to be, at least pull over to let them around if you're driving on God's time. If it's one lane or I'm in the left lane and somebody's on my ass, sure he might be a jerk, or maybe it's some horrible emergency like their daughter bleeding to death in the passenger seat, so I get the hell out of their way. Getting out of other people's way is incredibly easy.
Driving slow in a freeway left lane is plain old wrong. It's a passing lane. It is a motoring pet-peeve of mine as well, but I see more minivans guilty of that than sports cars. Other than that, slow drivers are not in any way at fault. On a two lane road? Either wait until you can safely pass, or take the freeway. It's a speed limit. I think it's safe to say most tailgaters are straight up impatient jerks, and don't have a dying child in the car. I'm particularly amused when they ride my rear while I'm coasting up to a red light. Really? You're in that much of a hurry to stop?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Why do old rich dudes pay something like $100k for a car with something like 700hp so they can drive it 20mph under the speed limit on Saturday afternoons?

I have a regular gig that involves a TX hill country commute and these dudes make the drive absolutely brutal. Why do they go to such expense to then go 40 in a 60 with a truck full of drums riding their bumper? It's not just one or two. If I manage to pass one, I'll inevitably happen upon a slow moving caravan of Shelby replicas a few miles later. The hills are crawling with old dudes crawling through the hills in spectacularly able-motored vehicles. Let me tell you, when an '87 22R is passing you on the highway, you're really going slow. My truck came stock with 90hp decades ago when it was brand new. Their Z06 or hellcat has nearly 10x the hp but I'm passing them. Over and over. No way around it. They fill all the side highways.

What brought this to mind was a recent post about 30" cymbals. A video linked in the responses made me think, "wanted: giant cymbals to ding around on nicely," which in turn made me think, "wanted: giant motor to putter around in."

TL;DR:
I need to mount a cowcatcher on my truck to clear annoying, expensive obstacles from my gig route.
View attachment 562682

P.S.: I'm not ageist or sexist in any way. This flock of pokey musclecar drivers descending on the hill country is really 100% 65+ men, by my observations. It's the USA and they have a right to do it, and I have a right to vent about the 50% increase in my commute time.
Because they can afford it.
Besides, just go around them. That's what I do.
No need to start a discussion about it.

Last edited: