OT - SNL

Sonar Dave

Reaction score
Although SNL isn't what it used to be, these two are really funny. Check out Dr. Wenodis with Kate.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comedy is a wonderfully powerful leveling agent.
Some find the material relevant and cutting.
Others find it weak … or perhaps even offensive.
It‘s the same material … just a different set of ears.
For someone to state unequivocally that something is funny and relevant is ridiculous.
It‘s nothing more than taste … and from my experience, it’s hit or miss.
For me … SNL has always been hit or miss ... Including the first season.
I stopped watching a long long time ago out of boredom. I have much more interesting things to occupy my time. Nothing to do with cast members, that I can recall.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it wasn't for my wife, I wouldn't even own a television or subscribe to cable. I find it amazing how SNL can actually decide to air most of those skits. The only stuff that is barely humorous is the canned/pre-shot and edited footage, not the "live" and clearly read off of cue cards stuff.
As for the music, I recall seeing Dave Matthews live on SNL and thinking "hey, this is interesting", but I don't think SNL has ever turned me onto anything interesting since. Not really SNL's fault I guess, more the current state of music in general.

And as much as monsieur Vistalite likes to poke fun, I feel sorry for him. Music is on life support and in a coma.

Back in the day though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFa8oKoLBik

Last edited:

Mayan

Reaction score

Well if you don’t think Keenan Thompson as “oooooh weeeee“ Deandre Cole hosting What’s Up With That?!? is hilarious, whoever you are, I’m glad I’m not you!

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw a headline in the news that Kate McKinnon and Pete Davidson are leaving SNL.

Which, for me begs the question - who the hell are Kate McKinnon and Pete Davidson?

I used to know the entire cast of SNL decades ago. After a while I knew most of the cast members and knew enough about the classic skits they did. Lately I don't have a clue, haven't seen an SNL skit in years. I wasn't even sure if it still ran.

I did google these two and I think I might have seen Davidson in something or another but I might be thinking of someone else.
OT OT “begs the question” does not mean what you may think it means. But no biggie, it’s Pedantic Sunday over here in Steechland.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score

Well if you don’t think Keenan Thompson as “oooooh weeeee“ Deandre Cole hosting What’s Up With That?!? is hilarious, whoever you are, I’m glad I’m not you!

An honest review ...
Good premise ... had some potential.
Got repetitive early on.
Never quite developed where it could have gone.
A few laughs.
Morgan proving once again why he's a brilliant actor.
Keenan was very good ... but could have taken it further.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Jason Sudekis’s dancing character on that sketch is also one of my favorite SNL characters ever.

Last edited:

Mayan

Reaction score
An honest review ...
Good premise ... had some potential.
Got repetitive early on.
Never quite developed where it could have gone.
A few laughs.
Morgan proving once again why he's a brilliant actor.
Keenan was very good ... but could have taken it further.
If you look at YouTube for other times they do the What’s Up With That?! sketch, the repetition is everything. The song, Lindsey Buckingham, the sax and the track suit, over and over!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you look at YouTube for other times they do the What’s Up With That?! sketch, the repetition is everything. The song, Lindsey Buckingham, the sax and the track suit, over and over!

Ah.
I get it.
I didn’t catch that.
I‘ll do some digging.
Sincerely appreciate it.
I do enjoy Keenan.
As a goofy side note … I auditioned for a film late last year to play opposite Morgan. I missed it by that much.
That one hurt.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Band wise, Pelton has been behind the kit for years! Wonder if they play out as a group like NBC Tonight Show Band and shaffer’s CBS Orchestra on Letterman?

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
@Squirrel Man
Here's Kate McKinnon and Pete Davidson:
Started off slow, sorta got into it a little then.. meh

I totally tried to give it an open mind but that totally didn't click for me

Now, having said that as many have suggested SNL, and rightfully so on their part moves with the age crowd. Didn't work for me.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LgCY.gif

WLVN

Reaction score
I liked both of them in some of the sketches, certainly not all of them. Kate McKinnon more, Pete Davidson less. Like the rest of the past cast, it's time to go and recharge the line up with new talent. It's what's kept SNL generationally relevant for almost forty-seven years.

I watched SNL every Saturday for the first ten years or so and then fell off and only occasionally tuned in. It sometimes felt like a waste of time to watch unless there was a good host or music talent. I was introduced to a lot of new artists that I wouldn't have heard of if it wasn't for SNL. There have been a lot of great performances and surprises for me, like seeing Neil Young in 1989. I was kind of expecting acoustic guitar and harmonica.

Here's a tape of the rehearsal. Nice close-up if Steve Jordan at 1:15

And the live broadcast performance.