OT: So Damned Cool (and funky)

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
Next to playing drums I think turntablism is the coolest artistic expression of rhythm with the hands. If I had grown up in a more urban part of the world I would have liked to have learned how to do this. So damned cool

&feature=share

Last edited by a moderator:

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty sweet set!. One thing that's interesting to see is that these guys are all using Serato Scratch now (record has a time code that triggers samples stored on a computer in real time). I went to a DMC back in the pre-Serato days and the dudes had to pop 6-7 different records on the turntable during their set. It was intense. A whole different ball game. All that needle drop stuff dude was doing during the beat juggling part would be difficult if not impossible to do without Serato too.

BTW, I was into turntablism for many years before playing the drums. The turntbable and mixer really are an instrument unto themself, no matter who anyone wants to talk trash on it.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
One of the older guys (80s/90s) guys who blows my mind is Mix Master Mike. I can really see his influence throughout this younger generation.

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mix Master Mike is one of the best! He was right up there with Qbert and Rob Swift (and all the Xecutioners) back in the scratch hey day in the 90s!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
devinw said:
Pretty sweet set!. One thing that's interesting to see is that these guys are all using Serato Scratch now (record has a time code that triggers samples stored on a computer in real time). I went to a DMC back in the pre-Serato days and the dudes had to pop 6-7 different records on the turntable during their set. It was intense. A whole different ball game. All that needle drop stuff dude was doing during the beat juggling part would be difficult if not impossible to do without Serato too.

BTW, I was into turntablism for many years before playing the drums. The turntbable and mixer really are an instrument unto themself, no matter who anyone wants to talk trash on it.
the samples are in the program ? what kind of bee ess is that ? GTFOH

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mixing and scratching is an art. We had some local guys here that were masters on those things.

Dj Humpty vision
Dj Rey
Mixmaster Spade

These 3 guys in the LA area back in the late 80s to early 90s were phenomenal

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
jaymandude said:
Yeah, it's realtime vinyl control of any digital waveform, and it works phenomenally well. Unnoticeable latency. I had a setup and it was sweet AF.

Actually it's based directly off of the Antares AutoTune algorithm

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
& You Dont Stop said:
One of the older guys (80s/90s) guys who blows my mind is Mix Master Mike. I can really see his influence throughout this younger generation.
I worked on a bunch of videos with the Beasties Boys and this was one of my favs :

Productionwise it was just 4 locked off cameras in their rehearsal space - but it was live. They did a few takes and this is the performance they went with. Each one was different - every take Mike did was off the charts...

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
cornelius said:
I worked on a bunch of videos with the Beasties Boys and this was one of my favs :

Productionwise it was just 4 locked off cameras in their rehearsal space - but it was live. They did a few takes and this is the performance they went with. Each one was different - every take Mike did was off the charts...
So cool. You still work in video production?

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I met DJ Q Bert years back, and we had an interesting conversation. he was very drum literate and mentioned Blakey and Roach as major influences. He's almost 20 years younger than me, I was surprised how much we had in common when we talked music.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
devinw said:
Yeah, it's realtime vinyl control of any digital waveform, and it works phenomenally well. Unnoticeable latency. I had a setup and it was sweet AF.

Actually it's based directly off of the Antares AutoTune algorithm
So, the tracks hes mixing arent coming from the records?

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seriously impressed! It is way more mesmerizing to watch than to just listen. Definitely a lot of skill right there!

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
& You Dont Stop said:

So cool. You still work in video production?

Im in post-production - mostly advertising. Back when I started, we would cut commercials and music videos. Im not sure how music video editing found its way to commercial edit houses, but it was a lot f fun to work on a video every once in a while.

avedisschwinn said:
I met DJ Q Bert years back, and we had an interesting conversation. he was very drum literate and mentioned Blakey and Roach as major influences. He's almost 20 years younger than me, I was surprised how much we had in common when we talked music.
Thats really cool!

Latest posts