OT: Sobriety birthday

Leffty

Reaction score
congratulations on three years speady1

keep up the action to help you stay clean and sober

does anyone here remember a site called sober muscians?

it was run by a guy named dangerous dan and his wife

wonderful sight, now long gone

dan didn't make it

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Today marks three years of continuous sobriety for me. I thought that I'd never be able to stop drinking. I assumed that I would fail. It wasn't easy, but I asked for help. Many, many people helped me along the way and I'm truly grateful for that. So far, I haven't failed and my life continues to improve every day because I asked for help and chose a new way to live my life.

If any of you ever need that same help, reach out to me and I'll help any way that I can with zero judgement. I've been there and I understand. It's never too late and no one is ever a lost cause.

The best part is that I'm playing better now than ever. I'm grateful.

View attachment 473906
Congrats on your sobriety and your commitment to help others. Those I know who have traveled this road have that commitment. To me that selflessness to put others needs first in this is very moving to see.

Topbnanna

Reaction score
Today marks three years of continuous sobriety for me. I thought that I'd never be able to stop drinking. I assumed that I would fail. It wasn't easy, but I asked for help. Many, many people helped me along the way and I'm truly grateful for that. So far, I haven't failed and my life continues to improve every day because I asked for help and chose a new way to live my life.

If any of you ever need that same help, reach out to me and I'll help any way that I can with zero judgement. I've been there and I understand. It's never too late and no one is ever a lost cause.

View attachment 473906
Congrats big time !!!!

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that gets my attention is when you decided to stop.
This might be the absolute toughest time of year to make a decision like that.
The first 4 weeks must have been the month from h&ll.
Stay strong, brother.

Perry Rotzell

Reaction score

View attachment 473906
Congratulations! It can be so very difficult and I wish for you all that need to continue your journey into sobriety. 32+ years for myself.

tedg65

Reaction score
Great news, very good for you!!!!!!!!!

I know of a couple of women who died this year in their 50' from cirrhosis....one especially bad who just could not stop drinking vodka and destroyed her family life over it.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On August 8th, 1988 (8.8.88) I came out of rehab and went to my first AA meeting outside the rehab center. I remember a guy speaking and he was celebrating his first year of sobriety. I remember I felt stunned how long he had been clean and sober and thought he was one of the "old ones". One whole year sounded like eternity for me!
One day at a time, now 32 years later I´m still clean and sober. Best trip I´ve ever had.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonderful ! A great accomplishment .

I haven’t had a drink in 20 years .

m.clover

Reaction score

View attachment 473906
You are a long distance runner my friend. I wish you nothing but continued good fortune and the peace that accompanies your sobriety.

MarkBock

Reaction score
Congrats! I just passed 1 year myself. I'm not blowing my own horn or seeking approval (and I'm sure you aren't either) ... but I (along with the advice of someone I love) decided that drinking was going to hurt or kill me if it continued at the rate it was going. So, I quit. That's it. I just decided that I would not drink alcohol anymore. Best "life change" I ever made. I'm healthier (dropped about 40 pounds), happier and have clarity.

Fortunately, I didn't/don't have any cravings ... I miss having a nice Cabernet with a steak or whiskey with a cigar, but I had enough of that before.

Again, congratulations and keep it up!

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Way to go! You can look forward to 10, then 15... and 20 years at which point you'll rarely even think about it. I'm amazed I hardly ever notice 'til weeks/months later when my date goes by.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 473906
Fantastic ! I grew up in a home with an alcoholic father and uncle. Their sister my aunt was the same and caused a lot of grief in her
family. There was no physical or mental abuse but it was hard to have my friends into our house as they laughed at me. When I had had children my wife and I were terrified to leave our kids with my parents as my father would always try and pack them into his car and drive them around town. It was tough on my mother as she didn’t drink and wanted kids with her. Saying that she was in denial as regards the drinking and so there was always tension as kids spent most visits with their maternal grandparents. But in retrospect our problems were very small compared to abuse I saw in other families with alcoholic parents. My only regret is that for most of my life I was disgusted and thought it was a weakness whereas I now know it’s a disease.
Bless you friend for how far you’ve come and offering to help others.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 473906
Proud of you.. Happy for you. Blessings..

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all these kind words and congratulations.

My sole intention with the post was to offer help and hope to anyone else facing similar issues. As was mentioned, this is a really hard time of year for a lot of folks, especially those with addiction struggles. If any DFO brothers or sisters need me, please let me know. I'm no expert, but I've been there and have a base of knowledge to offer assistance without judgement. I feel like my life has just restarted and I know how awesome it feels to me. I'm happy to share that joy with anyone that wants or needs it.

Again, thanks to you all for the words of encouragement and rooting for me. I'm sincerely grateful to all of you.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the sobriety, and on the podcast as well, wich I've started delving into a few months ago.

I myself have been alcohol free for a little over 20 years and, the last year has been the most challenging by far. Anybody struggling with addiction who has made it through sober up to this point is a superhero in my book.

egw

Reaction score
Well done, friend. Congratulations!

I'm at 4 years and change, myself. Will hit the big 5-year mark early next year. It's really amazing how much better things can be by simply working on that one, seemingly insignificant flaw.

Keep it up, and keep going to those meetings!