header.nohb.html

OT: social media troubles

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love facebook..... for posting pics of my drums and cats, and seeing other peoples drums and cats (and the occasional dog and goat!) That’s what it’s good for and staying in touch with family and friends abroad. It’s also the main venue to plug gigs/concerts/events.
I “unfollow” a lot of people, even friends who post political rant. When people start with religious mess, off they go. This way I keep it a fairly positive experience for me.

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Also I figure that 150 people you know thing is a good rule. I'm 4 over right now, and that's about how many are on the list to be pruned.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never been on facebook and my cell phone is used mainly as a phone. FB never held any interest for me as I tend to be happy alone or conversing with close friends. I'm happiest when I am on a hike in the woods and away from the world and it's technology. This Thursday, my wife, her sister and I are taking a 75 mile section hike on the AT (Appalachian Trail). I'm looking forward to not being aware of any news of the world for 8 days!!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice post Nacci. Do you think that Google is a coming threat? I do. Ace

Google is and always has been the NSA, refer to the Ministry of Truth from 1984. The most stark example of this is YouTube, which is owned by Google.

I don’t know how many videos and channels that do not follow the prevailing orthodoxy have been sent down the Memory Hole but certainly much of what I am interested in has been gutted and the remainder uncertain and muzzled.

It is good to know we found some common ground Ace.

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never been on facebook and my cell phone is used mainly as a phone. FB never held any interest for me as I tend to be happy alone or conversing with close friends. I'm happiest when I am on a hike in the woods and away from the world and it's technology. This Thursday, my wife, her sister and I are taking a 75 mile section hike on the AT (Appalachian Trail). I'm looking forward to not being aware of any news of the world for 8 days!!
You and I would get along famously.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
DFO member Iris Stone may offer us an interesting perspective on this discussion ?

Last edited:

tapotti

Reaction score
Trying to not get into specifics here and keep it non political. Please try to do the same if you reply. Why can't people keep their dumb opinions to themselves? What is it about social media that compels people to make incendiary statements that even they probably don't fully buy into? It's like they crave the attention that an online argument gives them. It's like a compulsion, like a gambling addiction. Clicking submit on that post is thrilling, and it just could ruin your life.

It's easy to say, "good! Now I know what kind of person they are and can block/ignore/boycott that person". But I'm not sure a lot of stupid statements would ever been made without the allure of likes and comments. And certainly dumb statements are made off the cuff in person, but calm conversation usually results in that person walking some or all of it back.

The thing is, I've felt it. Wanting to post something so bad about some current event, only to stop myself because I realized there is no reason to make my opinion known to anyone, much less loose acquaintances. Why would I think these people should know my opinion about anything? Why would I think they would even want to know? It's such a strange phenomenon... I don't think humans are wired to communicate this way. It's really one of the most personally destructive things I've ever witnessed. Gambling your livelihood or personal relationships on telling the world what you think about some hot button topic.

Wow.... Couldn't have said it better myself. Was just thinking the same thing a couple days ago.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Wow.... Couldn't have said it better myself. Was just thinking the same thing a couple days ago.
Seems most of the problems are people that have true opinions, but have to demonize the other side. A post can be nasty about any subject. On this forum, I found that economic discussions are more volatile than actual politics. I have never seen anything racial here. Never bring up salaries here. Laugh! One of the hottest topics, years back, was whether E-bay was an auction. Laugh!Ace

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am ready to remove all trace of myself from social media. I was happier when it didn't exist. Social Media is not real life. It's a bunch of crap that only exists to incite outrage and get clicks. Follow the money. It's all about the clicks. And this is true from both sides. It's a battle for clicks.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
"Think of how dumb the average person is. Half of them are dumber than that!" - George Carlin
Well what do you expect. I'm only a pawn.

mongo.png

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am ready to remove all trace of myself from social media. I was happier when it didn't exist. Social Media is not real life. It's a bunch of crap that only exists to incite outrage and get clicks. Follow the money. It's all about the clicks. And this is true from both sides. It's a battle for clicks.
It is too late for that. All our stuff is stored on servers in a bathroom that has gone missing.

JacobJoseph

Reaction score
For many companies, attracting traffic is part of online sales. After all, the website is often the last step before purchase. And I don't see any problem with the website, especially if you know how different advertising agents work, like https://nlosmm.com/. Goals can be anything, and you can create them in developing your business. Take the S.M.A.R.T. approach. It will help formulate them as clearly and realistically as possible. You shouldn't grasp at everything at once. If a brand is on all existing social networks, it is far from an indicator of success.

Last edited: