OT - Sort Of - Kindle vs Books

Rudy Mints

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a "Book" guy through and through. That being said I'm curious about a Kindle type "book" for before sleep reading. Can Drum method books be downloaded to a Kindle ? Do they allow "Play Along" with electronic media ? Can my iTunes library be downloaded to it ? How much of a pain is it to carry along through a day ?

Looking for practical answers. I know they a polarizing (love/hate) product.

Regards Rudy

pjmariner

Reaction score
I have the kindle app on my iPhone, and it increased my reading 2 fold over a separate kindle/book. Theory is I always have my phone anyways, so if I am waiting for appointment, in the bathroom, etc, I have the book with me. Now I tend to read much more on phone even though i prefer kindle paperwhite or book for my eyes.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, I always prefer real books. I like to dog ear pages, maybe make a note, use a book marker, etc. So, when I released my book last year I offered paperback and a Kindle options so everyone would be covered :)

I tend to not use electronics imediately before sleeping.

kallen49

Reaction score
As another “book guy” I borrow about 200 books a year from my local library and for the past 2 years most were read on my ipad using the app named “Libby”. This app is very customizable, I prefer the grey text on black background, and find it very easy on the eyes.
I have always “read myself to sleep” and for me the ipad is great for that.
Much prefer a tablet to reading on a phone.
I also use the ibook app which also allows you to read free samples of books and offers free books such as “The once & future king” by T.H. White which I’m rediscovering now :)

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I too choose not to use electronics before sleep, and even trying to cut down during the day. For those that have the Kindle paperwhite, do you think it removes that electronic element enough? I know its easier on the eyes, but is it enough? Im guessing there's still some white noise in the background.

I can read a regular book fine of course but Ive stopped using the Kindle app on my tablet. Too much eye strain. Thinking about the paperwhite though and looking for opinions.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a book guy for most all of my life. HUGE library of novels, historical texts, plays, etc.
Then I got the first release iPad.
I all but stopped buying books.
It is actually pleasant to scroll the book vice turn the page.
It allows me to create copious notes and even drawings and photos when I’m doing research.
And because it carries my PDF’s ... I have most all of my drum history catalogues in one very easy spot to peruse.
I find myself out of the country several times a year and it is nice to have all of my notes and library with me at all times ... in digital form on my iPad.
Several iPads later and I can say I don’t really purchase books much at all these days.
I still get the occasional book ... but I’ve found that I usually end up getting the digital version shortly afterwards.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer a real book by far....however depending on circumstance, not so practical these daze.....like just aimlessly wandering around a bookstore, which can be an adventure unto itself.
When touring I would always come home with books as visiting bookstores was a fav pastime when time afforded it. Sometimes a visit to whatever bookstore was an absolute must.....the heck with soundcheck the store is still open...lol.
Online book sales stuff is ok however in the last couple of years I have collected a few books on my iPads as some of the books I want(ed) are out of print and/or are waaaay too pricey.
Initially I was reluctant, but after exhaustive searches for some books, and the costs involved I bit the bullet and did the download thing. It's ok and convenient and serves it's purpose but I would still rather have a physical book.
The only "vain" upside is now I can look cool reading my "book" on an iPad! By this I mean I refuse and have no need to have a cel phone and have zero interest in anti social media....but now I can "fit in" while others are checking their facebook/instagram/whatever I won't feel out of place while I 'm reading my "book"..;)
bt

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kindle Paperwhite was a game changer for me. The Anti-glare and adjustable lighting are great features. I love that I can hold it in one hand and read in a dark room while laying on my back. Can't do that with a real book.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spend far too much time in front of this thing as it is . It gets so I don't know if I'm looking at it or it's looking at me .

I'm a library geek but prefer second hand shops and yard sales .

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a book person, my bride and I both read a good bit.

She went to Kindle several years ago, I love her anyway. :D

We've been down sizing our "library" for a few years, I'm just about ready to go "digital". Maybe later this year. As much as I prefer physical books, they take up a lot of space.

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Reading is better on a tablet. I can enlarge text (sometimes printed fonts are way too small) or even some photographs/diagrams in books. Paper you are stuck in whatever they give you. Reading on a tablet or phone in bed is also easier.
Also ebooks are normally less expensive, sometimes by a lot. And if you like older books (I'm a huge history buff but classic fiction also) you can find for Free in PDF as they are in the public domain. Some are all over the Internet for free but are $10/each downloaded from Amazon & funny enough Amazon even lists them as public domain!

One thing I do is switch on greyscale mode for a lot of books with a lot of text. Then especially if I enlarge the text, its really easy on the eyes.
BTW Almost all Android & IOS devices support greyscale. Your eyes don't get distracted by colors and your eyes can focus very well.

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always been an avid reader (along with my wife-some of our nicest moments are just being in the same room together and reading our books) and make weekly visits to the library. Back in the belly of the beast last spring and summer I was forced to read on line. It was better than having nothing to read but its not just the same enjoyment to me. The tactile feel of a book, turning the pages, putting in a bookmark ...all those things, I missed it terribly. Hell, I miss going out to the front porch to get the paper to read with breakfast (those days are long gone). Looking at my phone/tablet while eating my eggs is just not the same.
I Know, I'm a dinosaur.

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you people are Old or at least act that way. :hiding:

View attachment 483268
and I'm probably older than most on here :smilebox:
Yeah, I know what you mean.
At the risk of sounding like a couple of alta cockers comparing ailments lets just say Uncle Sam has been sending me a monthly stipend for several years now.

drummerfriend

Reaction score
We went from 3 bookcases full (and I do mean full) of books down to 1 tiny one.

Gone digital (Kindle) and will never go back. Books are heavy and take up a lot of space. They are also dusty (according to my wife).

Drum books - however - are all paper copies. I don't think my eyes would be able to use a tiny screen like the Kindle offers for reading music at that type of distance. If it was a much larger screen, I would go that way.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No more books, unless it's full of graphics. Love the paperwhite, easy on the eyes and to use in bed. Saves space and resources, and has increased the amount I read many-fold.