OT (sort of) - Tinnitus

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've had it for years I think...I'm guessing making music and being at loud concerts...but I started wearing plugs early (20s)...not only at concerts but mowing, using power tools.

I recently participated in a study at Mass Eye and Ear...my left ear hearing is perfect...right has a little high end damage...the doc giving the test was amazed that at my age...and playing rock and roll...my hearing was better than his.

As long as there is some background noise (humidifier, road noise)...I don't even hear the ringing in my ears.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me this is a strange one... For about the past 15 years I've had a bit of minor tinnitus that presented itself on occasion,... but it was not too hard to deal with.
UNTIL about 8-9 months ago when I woke up with a pounding headache and low fever and crazy, LOUD ringing in my ears... All sorts of frequencies and harmonics, jets whizzing by etc...really unnerving. This was just at the start of C-19 and I thought "uh-oh, here we go."
It lasted 3 full days, with the headache and fever eventually subsiding. While the ringing got a lot better it never went away entirely, so it has remained an annoyance since then. I doubt it was Covid, but the problem remains.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me this is a strange one... For about the past 15 years I've had a bit of minor tinnitus that presented itself on occasion,... but it was not too hard to deal with.
UNTIL about 8-9 months ago when I woke up with a pounding headache and low fever and crazy, LOUD ringing in my ears... All sorts of frequencies and harmonics, jets whizzing by etc...really unnerving. This was just at the start of C-19 and I thought "uh-oh, here we go."
It lasted 3 full days, with the headache and fever eventually subsiding. While the ringing got a lot better it never went away entirely, so it has remained an annoyance since then. I doubt it was Covid, but the problem remains.
Was it maybe just an ear infection that maybe caused some permanent damage?

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had it for at least 15 years. I would go to loud concerts and the ringing wouldn't go away for 24 hours or so. Then, it was that one concert that the ringing never went away after. It was a Skid Row concert. I even had earplugs in that night, but all those rock and roll shows had final added up. Throw in all that drumming in bands ( rarely with earplugs) and that I do construction for a living. Electric hammer drills on a daily basis. Many go to an office to work, I build the office for one to go to. Pushing computer buttons for a living isn't going to build that office. Anyway, It all adds up and I have to just deal with it. I use earplugs when I can. It doesn't bother me that bad. But to think, I can never, ever, lay in my bed, on any given quiet morning and just hear sweet silence. Not a single bit of noise..........Never again. I just hear ringing, but life goes on....................

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have to deal with a soft 10kHz triangle trill/crickets type of noise since I played rimshots on a high-tuned snare at an open-mic night. Won't forget this one...
It's ok, most of the time I don't notice it, but in silent moments I become more aware again. It is part mechanical/physical, sometimes chewing hard makes it worse.

Sad thing is I feel like this one instance also took away my hearing at and above this 10k frequency. Could be age-related, too, but I might have had a few more years of hearing beyond that.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I never wore earplugs until I was about 30. (I just turned 50). The damage has been done though and I have constant ringing. It's usually louder when I first wake up. My wife is always irritated when she has to repeat herself. I have just learned to live with the ringing as I don't expect it to ever go away.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure it was mentioned already but high blood pressure can increase ringing in the ears...
Interesting, as I've not heard that. I stopped taking my bp meds a while ago (lisinopril) due to some side affects I was having. My BP has gone up a bit and now I'm wondering if it has had a negative impact on my tinnitus. I still have a lot of bp pills left and think I'll try them again and see how if my tinnitus gets better or stays the same. Will report back in about a week on this.

-Mark

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have had it for at least 15 years. I would go to loud concerts and the ringing wouldn't go away for 24 hours or so. Then, it was that one concert that the ringing never went away after. It was a Skid Row concert. I even had earplugs in that night, but all those rock and roll shows had final added up. Throw in all that drumming in bands ( rarely with earplugs) I use earplugs when I can. It doesn't bother me that bad. But to think, I can never, ever, lay in my bed, on any given quiet morning and just hear sweet silence. Not a single bit of noise..........Never again. I just hear ringing, but life goes on....................
Ditto...

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I mostly only notice mine in a quiet room. I usually sleep with a fan on to mask it, but it's too cold in winter for that. Caffeine can make it worse, but I'm not going to give up my morning coffee. My overall hearing is fine, with a drop at 16k. My wife has it worse, plus her hearing is worse than mine. Hers is from going to concerts without earplugs. I've always worn earplugs except on a few occasions, which is where I'm pretty sure I got the tinnitus.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting, as I've not heard that. I stopped taking my bp meds a while ago (lisinopril) due to some side affects I was having. My BP has gone up a bit and now I'm wondering if it has had a negative impact on my tinnitus. I still have a lot of bp pills left and think I'll try them again and see how if my tinnitus gets better or stays the same. Will report back in about a week on this.

-Mark
Mark,
Please consult with your doctor regarding stopping your blood pressure meds ASAP. While some BP meds seem to have more side effects than others, you will find that they all have some and it is pretty unavoidable. Over the years, you will get used to them. I would also suggest discussing this in detail with your doctor and having him/her try some different BP meds. Find the one that works for you while giving you the least amount of side effects.
While I don't know your health history, if you were prescribed BP meds for high blood pressure, you need to be mindful that you could have a stroke if your BP isn't controlled. Believe me, you don't want to go down that path. We have several DF members who are fortunate to have survived a stroke and, perhaps, they could chime in privately with you. Please consider the very serious nature of this matter. Best, Rob

loser_wizard

Reaction score
I have tinnitus from bruxism, which is grinding my teeth in my sleep. Didn't know I was doing it for years and thought it was loud music. I wear a mouth guard when I sleep, and I'm more effectively dealing with some PTSD/anxiety that I think contribute to the bruxism. I still have the ringing, but it isn't as bad.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have it as well, and it sucks. I have an appointment next week at the UCSF tinnitus clinic to see if any treatments exist that can improve things since there is no cure. At times I think the constant hissing is going to drive me nuts.

Joe61

Reaction score
I could have written any one of these posts, they are all so similar to my problem with ringing. I've had a question about tinnitus and hearing loss that I haven't been able to answer. Maybe someone here can. Do any of you have loss of hearing without the ringing?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Have it as well, and it sucks. I have an appointment next week at the UCSF tinnitus clinic to see if any treatments exist that can improve things since there is no cure. At times I think the constant hissing is going to drive me nuts.
As far as I know there is no treatment for tinnitus. And, I've tried a few. So, unless you have money to spare, save yourself the time and energy.

Oh, and if there is a "cure" it's likely something that you would have to take for the rest of your life.

Good luck to ya in whatever you decided to do.

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mark,
Please consult with your doctor regarding stopping your blood pressure meds ASAP. While some BP meds seem to have more side effects than others, you will find that they all have some and it is pretty unavoidable. Over the years, you will get used to them. I would also suggest discussing this in detail with your doctor and having him/her try some different BP meds. Find the one that works for you while giving you the least amount of side effects.
While I don't know your health history, if you were prescribed BP meds for high blood pressure, you need to be mindful that you could have a stroke if your BP isn't controlled. Believe me, you don't want to go down that path. We have several DF members who are fortunate to have survived a stroke and, perhaps, they could chime in privately with you. Please consider the very serious nature of this matter. Best, Rob
Hi Rob,

I'm very fortunate that my girlfriend of over 20 years is also an RN! She always advocates for me when I see the doctor. For many people, we just take for gospel that what the doctor says must be true! In my case, getting off my BP meds was warranted. Recently, though, my BP has been going up, so I'll be making another appointment to discuss a different medication than what I had been using. Believe me when I say that I take this very seriously! I greatly appreciate your input on this!

Mark

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Was it maybe just an ear infection that maybe caused some permanent damage?
Hmm maybe, but I didn't get the normal ear infection symptoms (I remember having one years ago when I was a kid), whatever it was, it was different than anything I had experienced before... so that is why I was initially concerned that it was C-19... (which I don't believe it was). Since then, the tinnitus has greatly subsided, but comes & goes, still worse that the minor, occasional stuff I had prior to that.

I've read that high blood pressure can cause it as well, I had a physical recently and my BP is spot on.. so at least there is good news there.

Maybe it is just one of those things that sneak up on us as we get older?