OT: Spring = time for tinkering with bikes :)

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else here into building/restoring bikes?

I just got a box of new parts so I can do some much needed maintenance on my '95 Sunn Vertik 2, and make it more suitable for riding in the city.

This is how it looks now:

New chain, chainring, and a single speed conversion kit. I'll also be installing a set of 26"x1.35" Schwalbe Kojaks, which should make accelerating a lot easier than the bulletprof but super heavy Marathon Plus tires it has on now.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
^^ Nice ride!

jmpd_utoronto said:
That is a nice vintage ride! I dig the bottle cage too, I used to have the same one.
Thanks! The bottle cage is pretty useless, as it's too large for most bottles, but it looks nice..

Anyway, the weather was just about perfect today, so I spent my afternoon working on the project.

Off came the old transmission

The old chainring was pretty far gone

New chainring

Almost done

From the rear

I still need to get it down to my mechanic, though, as I couldn't for the life of me get the crankset off, and it sounds like the bearing is shot.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
i'm just looking forward to pedaling my Trek.
riding around Lake Champlaign in June w/2 friends...187 miles plus excursions...my midlife crisis cure

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
k_50 said:
.my midlife crisis cure
Cheaper than buying a Harley :icon_e_wink:
Ya, but Bandit has ALL the fun!

On sundays out in the country-side, yes. But crossing central Copenhagen during rush-hour, I much prefer a real bike.

I think I would prefer an armored vehicle for crossing Copenhagen during rush-hour. :)

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bandit said:
.my midlife crisis cure
Cheaper than buying a Harley :icon_e_wink:
Ya, but Bandit has ALL the fun!

On sundays out in the country-side, yes. But crossing central Copenhagen during rush-hour, I much prefer a real bike.

I think I would prefer an armored vehicle for crossing Copenhagen during rush-hour. :)

Good point. On my old commute (straight through the most congested parts of the city), I had to jump the curb into the bus lane or onto the pavement at least once per trip, due to some middle-aged #¤&¤@ going at 18 kph, and pulling out to overtake someone going even slower (typically a taxi bike or a parent with a kid on the back of their bike) without looking back over their shoulder. In that situation, you simply don't have the time to brake when you're doing 35-40, and are prepairing to overtake yourself. Actually that played a big part in my decision to sell my road bike, and get the Sunn back into action; bigger rims and tires are better for jumping curbs.
But still, I made the 8 km. trip in about 20 minutes, which is less than half of what it would have taken me by motorised vehicle....

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Very cool. I did the single speed thing with a Surly setup, here's a shot of it as a 1x9.

fetish1.jpg

fetish3.jpg

fetish4.jpg

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool. I removed the front shifter from my Sunn a few years back, but 1x7 was still too much (plus, the whole group was worn out). There aren't but 2 or 3 proper hills in my area, and neither of them are very severe, so 1 gear is really all I need.
I'm kind of a medium-low cadence masher in my riding style, so I can get away with running a fairly high gear ratio (I have a 42-12 setup on the Sunn, and rode 50-14/15 on my road bike), which takes some effort to get going, but gives a higher cruising, and top speed.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't commute here I you paid me. That was off road and a few spots where I was riding were a bit too much for me to stay single. Currently I have a mid 90s Raleigh on the stand, rebuilding an old Duke fork, I need to do it and ride again.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sure, when riding off-road you need more gears. I haven't done that thing for some years, but I'd never use a SS for serious off-roading. Riding on-road, however, and never seeing more than a 5% rise, it just makes sense to me to keep my bikes as simple, and maintenance-free as possible.

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some really cool rides!!

With highs in the low 70s this Saturday I'll be prepping the bikes to do some cycling along the Delaware Canal and end up at my local brewpub to reclaim the calories I burned off by cycling!

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
k_50 said:
Sure, when riding off-road you need more gears. I haven't done that thing for some years, but I'd never use a SS for serious off-roading. Riding on-road, however, and never seeing more than a 5% rise, it just makes sense to me to keep my bikes as simple, and maintenance-free as possible.
It was just single track and I was more fit then, lol.

Have fun !