OT: Spring = time for tinkering with bikes :)

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Down here in Oz, spring is about to sprung... it's so good to get some good weather and enjoy the bush.

Here's some of todays ride.

Silvan.JPG

Silvany.JPG

Last edited:

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
A lot of people think of Oklahoma as a flat, featureless chunk of middle America. That might be true for 75% of the state but you'll find charming scenery if you know where to find it. About an hour's drive to my north you'll find the Wichita Mountains, said to be one of the oldest ranges in the western hemisphere. The 2nd highest peak in the range is Mt Scott which has a paved road that spirals to the summit.
Because of some structural concerns, the road has recently been closed to car/truck traffic, remaining open to pedestrians and cyclists. Yesterday I took advantage of a rare wind-free day in Oklahoma to summit Mt Scott on my bike. It's a heck of a climb ( for flat landers like me) at about 300m over 3 miles from base to summit. The descent was awe inspiring.
scott.PNG
scott2.jpg
scott3.jpg
scott5.PNG

Lazmo

Reaction score
the road has recently been closed to car/truck traffic, remaining open to pedestrians and cyclists.
That's great. It must be nice to know you can go for it and use most of the road. We're mountain bikers, but last year we rode a Queensland mountain bike ride next to a closed public road that is only used once a year for hill climbs, and there was heaps of road riders on it having fun.

Lazmo

Reaction score
This weekend we headed down the west coast of Victoria and rode Anglesea on Saturday then Forrest on Sunday. We've ridden both tracks before, but today's ride was perfection. Such good flow though endless berms and some 'features' that I'm starting to get the hang of.

We reckon if we can get this car home, a good rub back and coat of paint and it will be sweet.

Forrest new car 2.jpg

Last edited:

Lazmo

Reaction score
Getting pretty hot and dry down here now, but there's a few spots that are nice and green.

glenfernvalley.jpg

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kind of a sore subject, (in regards to the "road warriors")... where I live, the "spandex clowns" gang together and operate under mob rule. 3 to 4 abreast in a pack of 12 - 30. Try to get around them and they actually start moving even farther left and flipping the bird. I really resent this mentality, as I am a class A driver and certified driving instructor. These guys are very dangerous when you get more than 4 or five together. Public roads are not the place to fantasize that you're competing in the Tour de'France... so no, not looking forward to this aspect of Spring in the slightest.

Last edited:

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got this as a new beater/bad weather commuter. Mid-90's Taiwan made, very nicely welded aluminium frame (possibly a Research Dynamics or at least from the same manufacturer), Onza cantis, LX drivetrain. It's in need of a little tune-up - adjusting the gears, new brake pads, maybe new tyres. But then it should be a pretty sweet ride. And the aluminium frame won't rust when there's salt on the roads.
I also recently bought a 3x8 Shimano XTR setup to either put on my old Sunn Vertik, or use on a new project (I'm currently very tempted by a '99-ish Sunn Totall frame on German ebay for a very reasonable price).

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kind of a sore subject, (in regards to the "road warriors")... where I live, the "spandex clowns" gang together and operate under mob rule. 3 to 4 abreast in a pack of 12 - 30. Try to get around them and they actually start moving even farther left and flipping the bird. I really resent this mentality, as I am a class A driver and certified driving instructor. These guys are very dangerous when you get more than 4 or five together. Public roads are not the place to fantasize that you're competing in the Tour de'France... so no, not looking forward to this aspect of Spring in the slightest.
You are Dutch too? That is a typical Dutch/Belgian thing if i’m correct. Crazy idiots calling themselfs “wielrenners”.

I am and we have bikes here in the family (Amsterdam area). Not cars.

We had a “bakfiets” (trike with a big square bin in the front for kids, groceries, drums, perucssion and what not) for a long time too. I know some people hate those too, but it is still better then a high class car with high class attitude drivers.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have been fat biking all winter and now spring is arriving in Buffalo NY. Yesterday I got out on my fixie, an 80’s Raleigh conversion. Riding a 42x16 for a decent spin gear ratio. Had a great ride feeling good until I turned into the headwind on the way home. It was great to be riding in 38* weather.

Attachments

Last edited:

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
New bike day again. Today I got a '96 Sunn Vertik, old guy edition (rack, high rise stem, padded saddle etc.). Once I get rid of the old guy stuff I think it will be a sweet ride, plus it has a couple of parts I need for my '95 Vertik 2 :)

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got my new to me Surly Cross Check out for its first real “adventure ride”. Been limited to asphalt so far. Stopped by the local co-op on the way. Picked up a seat post with more setback and a great tailbag. Both much better.
Rode oil field asphalt, gravel, sandy trails. Pretty much what this all arounder was meant for. Combination of nice steel frame and 700c 41mm tires made for a great ride. A good day on an excellent bike....
F1215D48-1E96-4896-8A27-6DB3DF37102B.jpeg
92C21331-4338-449C-92C2-69AEE3FA502A.jpeg

Attachments

Lazmo

Reaction score
Got my new to me Surly Cross Check out for its first real “adventure ride”. Been limited to asphalt so far. Stopped by the local co-op on the way. Picked up a seat post with more setback and a great tailbag. Both much better.
Rode oil field asphalt, gravel, sandy trails. Pretty much what this all arounder was meant for. Combination of nice steel frame and 700c 41mm tires made for a great ride. A good day on an excellent bike....
Bill, a N(2U)BD is always a bonus. It's great you're getting out, particularly in the bush. No cars, serene, perfect. Your neck issue is ok with riding?

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Neck’s not thrilled with riding. Arm’s pretty numb today. But, I’ve got an appointment with a neurologist tomorrow afternoon, so figured I may as well go ride.
I’ll most likely be getting a cervical fusion.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing the NYC 5 Bouroughs in 2 weeks. Last year I did it with ZERO training and i was fine except for my backside. I think I better get on my bike NOW and get my saddle callouses built up.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing the NYC 5 Bouroughs in 2 weeks. Last year I did it with ZERO training and i was fine except for my backside. I think I better get on my bike NOW and get my saddle callouses built up.
I rode it last year as well, and had a GRAND time! Just my wife and me and 29,998 of our closest friends!

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 5 Borough tour is great - it must have been around 1990 when I did it - Crazy, but fun!

Lazmo

Reaction score
It’s autumn here in Oz, but the weather over Easter was perfect for a ride or four.

Coast   Ride.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts