OT: Spring = time for tinkering with bikes :)

Johnny K

Reaction score
I rode it last year as well, and had a GRAND time! Just my wife and me and 29,998 of our closest friends!
That was nutz! One of the 5 in our group managed to find the only open sewer grate in America that hadn't been converted to a bicycle friendly type grate and broke his collarbone. He did finish the ride.

I was hoping to pass by the Gretsch Building on the Brooklyn part, but we didnt.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
That was nutz! One of the 5 in our group managed to find the only open sewer grate in America that hadn't been converted to a bicycle friendly type grate and broke his collarbone. He did finish the ride.
Ouch... I’ve broken both collarbones (separately) and I cannot imagine finishing a ride afterwards. Wow.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I converted over from my Winter bike (Trek FX Hybrid) to my road bike (Trek Domane) yesterday, and did 25 miles. That made my sit muscles sore. Today I went further, 29 miles, and I am pretty sore tonight. I have a century coming up in a month; gotta get ready!

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Put a new set of bars, new bar tape and a new saddle on my road bike last week - was hoping to go out for a ride this weekend but I screwed up my back a few days ago and figured that leaning forward on a bike for an hour was not the best plan. Hope to get out soon though!

IMG_2561.jpg

Lazmo

Reaction score
The weather is still holding nicely for autumn down here.

The phone doesn't really capture the light, but this was this evenings ride after work.

Glenfern Valley.jpg

Stumpy Glenfern.jpg

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ended up with a bonus day off. Went riding at Johnson Ranch, San Luis Obispo, Ca Oneof my favorite rides. Nice day out there. Only managed to draw blood once! Dang rocky downhill switchbacks. Really cute runner came to see if i was ok. Probably couldn't have convinced her I needed
61675964_10214799519726809_7883464878998945792_n.jpg
61695978_10214799522966890_6072748139209555968_o.jpg
61993600_10214799523406901_7714755776178290688_o.jpg
mouth to mouth..

Lazmo

Reaction score
NBD... Kona for me

Had to retire the stumpy... it's been excellent, but it was time.

Was looking at another stumpy, trance, sight and others. Dropped by the LBS to just look, not buying a bike, only looking. Walked out with a Kona Process 27.5. It's probably a bigger bike than I was thinking of, but it ticked the boxes, was quite discounted, and my wife loved the colour.

Had a local burn on it this avo. Doesn't climb as easily as the stumpy, but is much better going down. I like the front end, nice and precise compared with my old bike.

I did manage to crash it. Had a big pedal strike on a tussock that was hiding a major rock. Was going quite fast and went down instantly, but luckily landed in really thick soft grass. Crash... tick.

Anyway, I need to set it up a bit, but I'm excited.

Kone Process 27.5.jpg

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not as hard core as some of you guys, but I am happy with what I have. Just recently got this nice Gravity Swift 7 speed and added a few things like wide grips, bar ends, Sigma bike computer and re-using the rack and pannier bag from my old bike.

Everything is now dialed in and enjoying my new ride. Just have to beware of the wonderful South Florida drivers. Can’t even tell you how many times I see headlines of bike riders run over by cars down here. It’s fairly regular.

20190419_135739.jpg

Last edited:

Lazmo

Reaction score
Getting the new bike sorted.

Changed it to my favourite tyres, and running schwalbe nobby nic rocket ron tubeless goodness now. Dropped a kilogram doing the swap and the new tyres feel great, really plush, forgiving and gripcity. Put a pump on it and a 27.5 tube in my camelback for those very rare unwanted burbage moments. The fork feels perfection as it is, but I have been fine tuning the rear shock, and it’s getting pretty close now I reckon. Been playing with the climb switch too, but I’m old and I forget it’s on, so that’s a thing. It’s likely I won’t use it, except on firetrail climbs, which I avoid like the plague. This bike is burly as, and may be (ok, definitely is) a tad overkill for the bulk of my trails, but when it gets knarly like rocks, roots, staircases, drops, this bike totally shines. It lands jumps very well too, just sort of giving in and soaking it all up in a really controlled way. The 35mm forks go where you point them and I’m getting used to the 800mm wide bars. I was going to cut them down, but I don’t think I will.

Anyway, I’m excited to have a new bike. Can you tell?

Kev the Kona at Silvan.jpg

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Changed it to my favourite tyres, and running schwalbe nobby nic rocket ron tubeless goodness now. Dropped a kilogram doing the swap and the new tyres feel great, really plush, forgiving and gripcity. Put a pump on it and a 27.5 tube in my camelback for those very rare unwanted burbage moments. The fork feels perfection as it is, but I have been fine tuning the rear shock, and it’s getting pretty close now I reckon. Been playing with the climb switch too, but I’m old and I forget it’s on, so that’s a thing. It’s likely I won’t use it, except on firetrail climbs, which I avoid like the plague. This bike is burly as, and may be (ok, definitely is) a tad overkill for the bulk of my trails, but when it gets knarly like rocks, roots, staircases, drops, this bike totally shines. It lands jumps very well too, just sort of giving in and soaking it all up in a really controlled way. The 35mm forks go where you point them and I’m getting used to the 800mm wide bars. I was going to cut them down, but I don’t think I will.

View attachment 399596

Congrats on the new Kona - I still have my '96 Lava Dome - I love their bikes. I haven't used it since 2007, but my wife would use it from time to time over the past few years. It was a little big for her, so I promised I'd buy her something that's more comfortable. Mountain bikes have changed a lot since the last time I shopped for one - unfortunately she was used to a 25 lb racing bike - bikes today are really heavy! On the plus side, the disc brakes and the 1x11 set-up is very cool on the new bikes...

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score

View attachment 399596
New bike day is always an occasion. Have fun!