OT: Spring = time for tinkering with bikes :)

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Getting the Cross Check ready for a half century in two weeks. 80/+7 stem swapped for 110/+15 degree. Conti Speed Ride tires coming. Much more comfortable with the longer cockpit. Gonna be fun. Haven’t done a charity ride for years.
DC3494A7-1AEB-405A-925B-5EE40E48E58C.jpeg

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Getting the Cross Check ready for a half century in two weeks. 80/+7 stem swapped for 110/+15 degree. Conti Speed Ride tires coming. Much more comfortable with the longer cockpit. Gonna be fun. Haven’t done a charity ride for years.View attachment 399910
Hey Bill, are you going to run clipless, spd's or the like, or stick with flats, for a 50 mile ride?

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey Bill, are you going to run clipless, spd's or the like, or stick with flats, for a 50 mile ride?
Sticking with the flats. Not trying to go race pace. Going full Grant Peterson/tourist. Read https://www.rivbike.com/pages/the-shoes-ruse
At cruising speeds. it makes no difference. The ride's along the ooast, to a lighthouse and back. Pretty flat. I've still got my blown disc in the neck. Seeing the neuro guy this afternoon, to decide what to do about it. More drugs, in the meantime! Bill

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this Barracuda Dos Equis Team as a birthday present for myself.
The purple bars will be going on my '95 Sunn Vertik 2. And I might part it out, sell the F/F, put the blue parts on my '96 Vertik, and save the red ones for my next project. If I decide to keep it, the bouncy fork will be replaced with a Pace RC31 I have lying around.

Lazmo

Reaction score
I just picked up this Barracuda Dos Equis Team as a birthday present for myself.
The purple bars will be going on my '95 Sunn Vertik 2. And I might part it out, sell the F/F, put the blue parts on my '96 Vertik, and save the red ones for my next project. If I decide to keep it, the bouncy fork will be replaced with a Pace RC31 I have lying around.

NBD is always good...

Can't have too many bikes... in fact N+1 is necessary.

What's the thing on the bottom of the right hand fork leg? Is that a head light and are the circular things attached to the spokes magnets to power the light? I'm just guessing.

Anyway it's cool, I'd keep it intact.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
NBD is always good...

Can't have too many bikes... in fact N+1 is necessary.

What's the thing on the bottom of the right hand fork leg? Is that a head light and are the circular things attached to the spokes magnets to power the light? I'm just guessing.

Anyway it's cool, I'd keep it intact.
I love NBD :)
The thing, and the things are indeed a light and magnets to power it.
The purple bars are definitely going on '95 Sunn, as they are just the right shade of purple for that one, and aren't original to the Barracuda anyway.
As for keeping the rest of it intact or parting it out I'm still undecided. It does look very 90's cool, and my impression after around 25 km. on it is that it will be a nice ride after a change of forks (I'm not that fond of suspension forks, and this one is well past its prime), and a general tune-up. So I'll reserve my decision until I've dialled in the gears and brakes, and tried how it handles with the rigid Pace fork.

Lazmo

Reaction score
Well my NBD may have been and gone, but the NB is getting a workout... some pics from the weekend.

Kona NBD weekend ride #1.jpg

Kona NBD weekend ride #2.jpg

Kona NBD weekend ride #3.jpg

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That looks like a great ride. And I imagine that new spaceship of yours just floats over any obstacle.
One of the few bad things about living close to the centre of Copenhagen is that I have to go by train for at least ½ hour to find a decent riding spot. Now that I'm a responsible adult.
When I was a teen, we used to bomb around a park, surrounding an old summer residence of the royal family (built around the year 1700 when this area was still way out in the country), where cycling isn't allowed. The best part was the hill just in front of the palace, which has two plateaus (a remnant of the original baroque styling of the park) - We would ride the first section on two wheels, wheelie the second, and catch full air on the third. Great fun!
That same park is just at the middle of my current commute. So when then weather complies I go through there on my way home (coasting, finger on the brake lever at all times, being a responsible adult), and pick a nice spot to sit and read for a while.
This is the view from one of my favourite benches, including the end of a really fun downhill trail below the old chestnut tree in the centre of the pic.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I spent some time this evening changing the tyres, handlebars, and gearing on my '95 Sunn Vertik 2. Then I took a quick ride down to the water to have a beer, and check how well I'd hit the chain line (not just right, but a lot closer than I usually come on the first try).

Lazmo

Reaction score
New tyres are always good, particularly Schwalbes. Do you suck on a lollipop when you ride it now?

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Having fun setting up my Surly Cross Check to my liking. Longer stem. Better, was feeling cramped. I can move around now. My wounded neck likes it!
Added Brooks B17 to replace WTB Pure V. They just work for me.
Conti Speed Ride tires. Not in the pic. Was fighting with dismounting the Knards. What a bitch!!! Rolls better, lost the wobble in corners. May need to add a Carradice bag. Just the way it's shaping
6B323B1F-5FB5-4E91-BD98-7EC3A69556D2.jpeg
up. Starting to feel like my bike...

Lazmo

Reaction score
Having fun setting up my Surly Cross Check to my liking. Longer stem. Better, was feeling cramped. I can move around now. My wounded neck likes it!
Added Brooks B17 to replace WTB Pure V. They just work for me.
Conti Speed Ride tires. Not in the pic. Was fighting with dismounting the Knards. What a bitch!!! Rolls better, lost the wobble in corners. May need to add a Carradice bag. Just the way it's shaping View attachment 401392up. Starting to feel like my bike...
Setting a bike up, is a big part of the fun...

Last edited:

Lazmo

Reaction score
I've changed the front chainring on the Kona from a 34 to a 30, and the bike gearing is now perfect, just like I'm accustomed to, and it proved sweet for a few very steep pinches that had me cranking badly before.

I was working from home and we snuck out for a lunchtime ride. 20 minutes of urban fun, then 20 minutes of single track, then 20 minutes urbaning it home. The later section has a few very good fun roots, drops and ledges. Honest, I'll grow up one day.

It's funny, we've had his and her Specialized Stumpjumpers for ages, and now suddenly, we are on different bikes. Ha ha, I don't care, I'm really loving the Process.

Sue at Dales basin.jpeg

Last edited:

Lazmo

Reaction score
Added this... some cnc amazingness, at only 360g, which is 260g lighter than the stocker, a big difference to the bikes responsiveness.

ZTTO.jpg

todays ride...

Kev at the Yarra.jpg

prplx

Reaction score
Bought a gravel bike to use on the country dirt roads around my place last month. I have done over 450 kilometers on it so far and love it!!

Attachments

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great to see all the single-speeders in here ....... I've currently got 5 of the damn things! Any of you insane fixie riders?

Not me ....................

Mike

Johnny K

Reaction score
Great to see all the single-speeders in here ....... I've currently got 5 of the damn things! Any of you insane fixie riders?

Not me ....................

Mike
I'm not insane, but I converted my Gino Bartali to a fixer 20 years ago. It was the first race bike i ever owned and I bought it used in 1977. Even then it was probably 30 years old. It's been repainted at least 4x in it's life time. 1 time by me and 1 time by Hot Tubes to its current red to black fade. I had it painted that to match my team issue '96 Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel. Ironically the Indy Fab is now wall art while my 70 + year old Bartali is still road worthy. FWIW I have 3 LeMond's, 2 steels and a Ti, including a steel Poprad CX which is my mainstay bike now. I ride it everywhere. Cant kill it. I havent toe'd a race start line in 10 years and honestly, dont miss it all. What I do miss is moto-reffing, which I did after i hung up the race wheels.

I even got to do some press moto work at a couple of pro races too. That was a fun gig.

Last edited:

Latest posts