OT: Spring = time for tinkering with bikes :)

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool! My neck would never manage those bars, but it looks great!
Thanks! It still needs some tweaks and upgrades, but I think it's coming along nicely. And the saddle wasn't the level up I had hoped for - Apparently age has gotten the best of the black part of the upholstery, so I've been going around all day with a big black stain on the bum of my shorts.
I do get a few comments on my relative seat and bar heights. But even with my bad back I find this setup very comfortable. The semi-upright position one gets on a hybrid, however, does a number on my back and shoulders - I have to be either completely upright, tourist style, or close to aero.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
When I first read your post I thought you were saying that you and your wife were riding, and she dropped you as you were both going up to the top of a hill. I'm just relating my own experiences :)
Ha ha, when I re-read my post, I can see how easily it could be interpreted that way.

My Wife and I are mountain bike riding buddies. It is our number one thing. Every week, weekend and holidays, usually involves mountain bike. And yes, she is a very good climber. There have been times on non-technical climbs, when she has dropped me, although we are usually about the same. But, if the climb is technical… over roots, rocks, staircases, ledges, etc … because she can’t pop the front, manual or wheelie, I am way ahead. Descending too, I am way quicker.

But for us it is not a race and we don’t compete with each other, as we would rather ride together, and hopefully for as long as possible into old age.

Here’s a pic of our idea of a perfect weekend getaway.

Forrest.JPG

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, when I re-read my post, I can see how easily it could be interpreted that way.

My Wife and I are mountain bike riding buddies. It is our number one thing. Every week, weekend and holidays, usually involves mountain bike. And yes, she is a very good climber. There have been times on non-technical climbs, when she has dropped me, although we are usually about the same. But, if the climb is technical… over roots, rocks, staircases, ledges, etc … because she can’t pop the front, manual or wheelie, I am way ahead. Descending too, I am way quicker.

But for us it is not a race and we don’t compete with each other, as we would rather ride together, and hopefully for as long as possible into old age.

Here’s a pic of our idea of a perfect weekend getaway.

View attachment 455164
That's so great that you guys ride together. We're exactly the same way - she's a great climber, but anything technical and I'm ahead. For the most part we're at the same pace, which makes it nice. We're just happy to be out riding together and also hope to continue into old age.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
We expect a full run down and many pics...
Weather caused a slight change in plans. Our cool fog gave way to 85 degrees plus higher in the canyons! Not letting that stop me. Been working too much overtime to waste a day off!
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3226.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3236.JPG
IMG_3238.JPG
IMG_3241.JPG

Another birthday ride into the books. Rode a favorite loop. From home to Avila Beach, back thru Squire Canyon. A stop for double espresso at the beach. Pic taken by a tourist from Russia. The language barrier was broken by much pointing! Pelicans busy fishing the creek. The steelheads were schooling in huge groups. Nice day after all the fog we've been having. Just required some stops in the shade to cool down. Kinda breezy coming home, wasn't bad until the last mile or so. Just keep pulling. No marathon ride, only 19.7 miles. But fun poking around enjoying the scenery. Enjoying the CycloTourist thing. And the Surly is a really good bike. A much needed day out.......

langmick

Reaction score
Got back into riding MTBs after around 10 years off the bike. Picked up a used Trek Fuel and having a lot of fun, joints are holding up pretty well and starting to really get back that feel. We have so many great trails in Michigan (wish we didn't have the winters but...). I was a BMXer when I was a young dude, and a bike mechanic for a long time, helped start the MSU bike shop.

langmick

Reaction score
Looks like fun trails!
They're a blast, Michigan has a strong MTB community, with active organizations that keep the trails going, which are all over the state. I volunteer a bit to do some work beating back of brush. Michigan is, in general, pretty flat, the trails aren't murderous climbs with crazy downhills filled with rocks. The trails are flowy and fast, and fun with some variance.

This recently-constructed trail is pretty wild.

https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went on a retro mtb group ride by the harbour yesterday

Klein was heavily represented

Pit stop at one of the Klein riders' place for a few beers, a quiz, and a weighing. My Wheeler weighed in at 10.4 kg. which was less than I had thought - only a kilo more than the red Klein Adroit.

I lost the quiz, and got a red Chris King top cap as a consolation prize

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went on a retro mtb group ride by the harbour yesterday

Klein was heavily represented

Pit stop at one of the Klein riders' place for a few beers, a quiz, and a weighing. My Wheeler weighed in at 10.4 kg. which was less than I had thought - only a kilo more than the red Klein Adroit.

I lost the quiz, and got a red Chris King top cap as a consolation prize

Pre-Trek Klein, I assume?

I am always a sucker for anything Chris King.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Well, down here in the land of Aus, spring has finally sprung.

Have been having, covid working from home lunch time rides, as often as the weather will allow, and every day, little by little, it is steadily improving.

My wife won't ride because of the magpies, but so far so good with them, at the moment.

Today's LTR was very nice, the sun was out and the trails almost totally dry. All the mud on the bike was from earlier this week, as I was too slack to wash him.

First Spring Ride.jpg

Last edited:

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Warning, Going O.T. from your High Tech Discussion!

The county is nearing completion of a new bike trail, so I broke out my bike sitting in mothballs in the shed. Not being an avid biker like you folks, I have no idea about parts and accessories and other biking paraphernalia that is available today....from your discussions I gather there is a lot. So where can I go to find out? I would like to get a hold of some (paper) catalogues and find a forum for casual bikers like myself.

I have a Raleigh Gruv2 I bought in 2006, so I will not be doing any great journeys, just a few miles down the trail and back several times a week.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Warning, Going O.T. from your High Tech Discussion!

The county is nearing completion of a new bike trail, so I broke out my bike sitting in mothballs in the shed. Not being an avid biker like you folks, I have no idea about parts and accessories and other biking paraphernalia that is available today....from your discussions I gather there is a lot. So where can I go to find out? I would like to get a hold of some (paper) catalogues and find a forum for casual bikers like myself.

I have a Raleigh Gruv2 I bought in 2006, so I will not be doing any great journeys, just a few miles down the trail and back several times a week.
I am trying to invent a new category of BMX-style Cruiser bike called the “neighborhood cruiser“. I am a lolly-gagger’s lolly gagger. I will get there, eventually.

My custom steed will encompass these qualities. My seat tube length will render this bike USELESS in a race situation. My current steed uses a seat tube extension so I can actually sit down! Plus the seat is a comfort road bike saddle; no hard plastic for my refined gentleman parts!!!!

I used to race, but now I have a bike that will merely get me there as competition burned me out.

This long-winded diatribe was in lieu of saying this: us two have similar purposes on a bicycle ;)

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am trying to invent a new category of BMX-style Cruiser bike called the “neighborhood cruiser“. I am a lolly-gagger’s lolly gagger. I will get there, eventually.

My custom steed will encompass these qualities. My seat tube length will render this bike USELESS in a race situation. My current steed uses a seat tube extension so I can actually sit down! Plus the seat is a comfort road bike saddle; no hard plastic for my refined gentleman parts!!!!

I used to race, but now I have a bike that will merely get me there as competition burned me out.

This long-winded diatribe was in lieu of saying this: us two have similar purposes on a bicycle ;)
Sounds kind of like my old Fireman's Texas Cruzer... http://firemansbikes.com/wp/