OT: Spring = time for tinkering with bikes :)

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
This is my daily. 80’s Centurion road frame that I converted to 650b x 42, which measure out to 45mm on the wide rims I built the wheels with. Took a ton of work to get those tires to clear and they just BARELY have enough room. A friend of mine made a tool out of a c-clamp to crimp the chain stays and fork, and on top of that I had to file the rear dropouts for about an hour straight to get that last little bit of clearance. Well worth it! The ride is extremely smooth as well as nimble due to the frame’s road geometry. I don’t have a front shot but it’s worth checking out the bars I used: SimWorks Fun3 with wacky bends.

4502DBE9-F5B9-4AC6-A8C5-F43C7A80060A.jpeg

3BB95755-B5C5-4315-AE4A-9571F81CF957.jpeg

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Finally dug mine out..we've had snow and ice on the roads up until now, the trails are still soup and ice..if I stay to the pavement I should be fine for the next week or two..

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How do you not View attachment 491970 fall forward ??
Also .....
Nice tattoo!
Re. not falling forward, I shift my weight back when braking ;)
Also the saddle will not be quite that high on the final build - I just popped it on quickly to get a sense of how it will turn out. But with me being 5'10'', and the frame being 16" c-t, it is going to be up there. And the bike felt like riding a BMX with the OG stem and 170mm. cranks.

I've got some 175mm. cranks lined up for the rebuild. And the 155mm. stem (it's ridiculous, I know) will stretch it to around the same reach as on the Wheeler.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can’t ride that low any more. When I was a duathlete geek, I rode crazy low. But the back hated that and I ended up slowing down. But if you have the flexibility to ride like that, good onya!
I get a lot of comments like that. But it's the most comfortable setup for me, other than completely upright. My neck and shoulders don't like anything in-between - I tried a hybrid for commuting last winter, and absolutely hated it.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
This is on back order ...

Oh man, those tick all the right boxes for me. No suspension to maintain, steel, and big tires. I’m too afraid of hurting myself (again) on trails and not being able to tour, otherwise I’d have one. I already gashed my elbow open 3 weeks before the last tour that was cut short by the pandemic.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I get a lot of comments like that. But it's the most comfortable setup for me, other than completely upright. My neck and shoulders don't like anything in-between - I tried a hybrid for commuting last winter, and absolutely hated it.
We’re all built differently;)

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man, those tick all the right boxes for me. No suspension to maintain, steel, and big tires. I’m too afraid of hurting myself (again) on trails and not being able to tour, otherwise I’d have one. I already gashed my elbow open 3 weeks before the last tour that was cut short by the pandemic.
I’m not going to ride much if any singletrack anymore myself , I got carried out on a stretcher once ...
You’ll notice my link says smooth tires ,
The bike path in OKC has an entry a block and half away and it goes around the lake . . I just moved in .
I bought a pair of recumbents , my wife can’t ride on 2 wheels ...She is excited to ride and have picnics in the lakes parks ..

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
I picked this up for free years ago from a garage sale. Great working order. A bit of rust on the chain and some pitting on the chrome. Other than that, it's a great old bike. 1960s Schwinn Typhoon.

IMG_8922.jpg

IMG_8919.jpg