OT: Taping Two Boxes Together To Ship?

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am shipping a keyboard and an X-stand to a friend. The x stand box will fit neatly on the "face" of the keyboard box. Will FedEx permit two flat boxes taped neatly and securely together? Thanks, John

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they won't you could wrap the whole deal in brown paper maybe

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FedEx will but please be sure to tape that mutha up. Also make sure you pack it to where nothing moves. Put the address on both boxes just in case they come apart. If you feel comfortable after that then do it.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work in the shipping industry and they will accept just about anything. Tape it up to the point of over kill because it will be tossed around and have lots of stuff stacked on top of it. Pad it well on all sides because claims are rarely paid even if they abuse the package. Do not write fragile on the box and especially don’t put asap or it will become a target.

NewBeat

Reaction score
If they won't you could wrap the whole deal in brown paper maybe
Nope, FedEx will absolutely not accept a wrapped package - they say it mucks up their sorting machinery. However, my local post office will still accept wrapped packages.

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...claims are rarely paid even if they abuse the package. Do not write fragile on the box...
Truth? For me fagile stickers have been standard on fragile packages and I mostly pay for the coverage without much thought. Am I doing it wrong?

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why tape them together? You can ship more than one box on the same shipment. Cost savings?

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truth? For me fagile stickers have been standard on fragile packages and I mostly pay for the coverage without much thought. Am I doing it wrong?
Here’s the deal
These guys are working way to many hours for companies that just want more and more and moral is mostly bad. If you are on a route that the driver feels this way your package is more likely to be abused. This is why every X-Mas there is video of drivers throwing TVs over a fence etc.. It is absolutely not right but some of these guys are treated worse than garbage and they just are to burnt out to care. A fragile sticker is fine but do not use a sharpie to write on the box. These guys just view it as another order there not going to follow. It sucks but this problem is widespread and deep rooted. I suggest spending the insurance money to overpack and use on the extra freight charge if it causes the package to be larger or heavier. I hope that helps some?

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
IF they fit perfectly you could tape to the point of it appearing to be one box and it will ship. However if not leave apart. The box dimensions will be part of the cost, so if it results in a large oversized box, ship costs may end up higher than 2 separate boxes. In my area, at least, the shippers are doing a great job. I think it always makes sense to pack such that it could sustain a drop of 10 feet (suggested by a UPS worker, their automated sorters do drop onto conveyers at a shorter height). Primary concern ought to be the safety of the shipment of the items in the box.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done this, but I also used another piece of cardboard inside along the seems, glued together with Elmer's glue. It will make a strong bond if it's held tight while it dries. Then tape on the outside, of course.