header.nohb.html

OT: The farewells keep coming

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was never a KISS fan, but as long as people are willing to pay to see them, they’ll keep touring. I won’t be paying for a ticket but can’t fault them for continuing for the people who will.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can remember playing in really good rock bands during the 70s in Dallas, doing all the current hits at that time.
We felt we were playing seriously artistic music and that Kiss was a new, unwelcome invasion.
Back then, it was considered a comedy act, and that hasn't changed IMO.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I can remember playing in really good rock bands during the 70s in Dallas, doing all the current hits at that time.
We felt we were playing seriously artistic music and that Kiss was a new, unwelcome invasion.
Back then, it was considered a comedy act, and that hasn't changed IMO.
So, opinions, everybody’s got one … but c’mon … KISS could be dumb (“Let’s Put the X in Sex” springs to mind), but when, I’m driving and “Rock and Roll All Night” comes on, I turn it up and sometimes shout along with the chorus. It’s irresistible … almost a perfect rock radio song. Lots of bands would be happy with just one of those, but KISS has a handful.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was walking down the sidewalk in Boston one mid-70s late 70s- sunny afternoon turned to look up to my right and the back doors of some hall (it was over near the combat Zone) were open and there was the largest Silver drum set with toms at all angles hi Low middle I ever saw; evidently it was a sound check Kiss sound check.
That's as close as I ever got to them.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
So, opinions, everybody’s got one … but c’mon … KISS could be dumb (“Let’s Put the X in Sex” springs to mind), but when, I’m driving and “Rock and Roll All Night” comes on, I turn it up and sometimes shout along with the chorus. It’s irresistible … almost a perfect rock radio song. Lots of bands would be happy with just one of those, but KISS has a handful.
Like a lot of bands IMO (Metallica for example), their best stuff came early on.

After Destroyer their "business model" changed drastically. They tried too hard IMO to appease the popular crowd while Gene and Paul ran the operation like business selling lunchboxes and action figures while undercutting the other bandmates.

Suggesting they're a comedy act is a bit far fetched I think but clearly Kiss has their share of anti-fans.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was walking down the sidewalk in Boston one mid-70s late 70s- sunny afternoon turned to look up to my right and the back doors of some hall (it was over near the combat Zone) were open and there was the largest Silver drum set with toms at all angles hi Low middle I ever saw; evidently it was a sound check Kiss sound check.
How far did you run before you looked back again?

:p

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Like a lot of bands IMO (Metallica for example), their best stuff came early on.

After Destroyer their "business model" changed drastically. They tried too hard IMO to appease the popular crowd while Gene and Paul ran the operation like business selling lunchboxes and action figures while undercutting the other bandmates.

Suggesting they're a comedy act is a bit far fetched I think but clearly Kiss has their share of anti-fans.

So much of that was Bill Aucoin.

WLVN

Reaction score
I remember them when they first appeared on TV in 1974. I liked their simple rock formula and bought the first album. Saw them in 1975, bought the Alive album and then I was burned out on both their style and antics. I'm glad they developed a big following and can appreciate those who remain dedicated to them. Somebody had to do it.
Does anybody remember the Who's 1982 big "Farewell" tour and how shortly after when they continued to tour, RS magazine commented that it must've been a typo and what they really meant to say was "Fair Well" LOL

DBT

Reaction score
Back in the 80’s I took my Ex and her girlfriend into NYC to Katz’s Deli for Hot Pastrami sandwiches . As we are waiting I hear that unmistakeable Gene voice talking to the two beautiful blondes I was with behind me . Close as I ever got . If I knew then what I know now I would have told him to keep her .

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
In an interview on October 6, 2021, Stanley confirmed that the final concert for Kiss will likely happen within the next year and a half, stating: "I believe strongly by the beginning of 2023 we will be finished, it seems only natural for the final show to be in New York. That is where the band started, and that was really the background for the band getting together and writing these songs and played loft parties and played clubs starting with an audience of probably 10 people. It seems we should go full circle."[6] The band announced on February 15, 2022, that the upcoming 2022 edition of the Kiss Kruise in October to November 2022 will be their last time they perform on board.[220] In addition to adding another 100 cities on tour into 2023,[221] Simmons stated that he will continue working with the American rock-inspired restaurant Rock & Brews, and performing with his solo band when the final tour has concluded. He later stated that the band will be retiring out of self-respect and love for the fans and that he will be very emotional during the band's final performance.[222][223]