OT: The great Mark Murphy, Swinging on a Star

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
1960. The band is killing, Mark Murphy is killing. This guy could blow Sinatra away. But he chose to be a hard core jazz singer. Dig the last note he sings!

This was written as a kids' tune, but adults need to hear the message. The last bridge: "All the monkeys aren't in the zoo; every day, you see quite a few."

I wonder who was playing on this session!

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll give him the nod on his singing talent-and yes the "last" note....awesome.

But it takes more than talent and ability to "blow Sinatra away"....

Lol

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I'll give him the nod on his singing talent-and yes the "last" note....awesome.

But it takes more than talent and ability to "blow Sinatra away"....

Lol
Sinatra got his start as a nationwide teen idol, so he had the publicity which fueled his fame. Not knocking Frank; I think he is a great singer. But in every musical aspect--range, prahasing, etc., Murphy wins. The most famous singers are not always the greatest singers.

Compare this to Sinatra's version.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sinatra got his start as a nationwide teen idol, so he had the publicity which fueled his fame. Not knocking Frank; I think he is a great singer. But in every musical aspect--range, prahasing, etc., Murphy wins. The most famous singers are not always the greatest singers.

Compare this to Sinatra's version.

Not about ability, talent, range, vocal perfection, fame, or publicity...

It's about charisma, "magic", luck, attitude, and divine appointment....

You're either Frank or not. Your either Elvis or not. You are the Beatles....or...not. Bob Dylan...or not. Ella, Miles...Michael or Buddy.

Just the way it is. Very few are at that level, and talent isn't the only requirement.

Not taking anything away from Mr. Marks, but his version of "Swinging in a Star" did not hold my attention anywhere near Frank's version. As soon as you take that Jersey attitude out of it....well....

Again, Mr. Marks is a monster talent and deserves all the respect for it.

But Frank occupies a different realm-in my opinion.

Last edited:

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I wonder who was playing on this session!

Personnel on "Playing the Field" (according to freshsoundrecords):

Orchestra Arranged & Conducted by Bill Holman: Conte Candoli, Ray Triscari, Stu Williamson, Al Porcino (tp); Frank Rosolino, Lew McCreary, Bob Fitzpatrick (tb); Joe Maini, Al Thomson (as); Med Flory, Bill Perkins (ts); Jack Nimitz (bs); Al Hendrickson (g); Jimmy Rowles (p); Joe Mondragon (b), Shelly Manne (d).

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Personnel on "Playing the Field" (according to freshsoundrecords):

Orchestra Arranged & Conducted by Bill Holman: Conte Candoli, Ray Triscari, Stu Williamson, Al Porcino (tp); Frank Rosolino, Lew McCreary, Bob Fitzpatrick (tb); Joe Maini, Al Thomson (as); Med Flory, Bill Perkins (ts); Jack Nimitz (bs); Al Hendrickson (g); Jimmy Rowles (p); Joe Mondragon (b), Shelly Manne (d).
Thanks. A killing band!

Latest posts