OT the most educated states in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting report just came out, the most educated states in America based on Bachelor degrees, graduate degrees and so forth.
Here are the top 10...the north east is looking pretty good, Ha.

1) Massachusetts
2)Maryland
3)Colorado
4)Vermont
5)CT.
6)Virginia
7)Washington
8)NH
9NJ
10)Minnesota

50) Mississippi

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These "most educated" studies to value a graduate degree in sociology with a minor in safe spaces more than the education required to fix a diesel engine or build a house. No thanks.
Wow, that’s where you decided to go with this information? Says more about you than these states or the people being educated. But you go on telling yourself whatever it is you want to believe.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The place I currently am residing has an inordinate amount of highly educated individuals.
Tons of retired men and women.
Lots of quite familiar and historically significant people.
Very very very few gained their education in this state.
This is where they ended up.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These "most educated" studies to value a graduate degree in sociology with a minor in safe spaces more than the education required to fix a diesel engine or build a house. No thanks.
I assure you there are plenty of houses and running diesels in all of these states.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the permission, I truly appreciate it.
I’m not giving you permission. You already think you know more than others. There’s literally nothing anyone can say because you learned everything you need to know through life’s hard knocks. Or something like that, I’m sure. (As long as you‘re making assumptions about others, I’ll do the same with you.)

Last edited:

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m not giving you permission. You already think you know more than others. There’s literally nothing anyone can say because you learned every you need to know through life’s hard knocks. Or something like that, I’m sure. (As long as your making assumptions about others, I’ll do the same with you.)
What assumptions?
(You’re, by the way.). ;)

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
These "most educated" studies to value a graduate degree in sociology with a minor in safe spaces more than the education required to fix a diesel engine or build a house. No thanks

I'm a huge admirer and advocate for the trades. This is engaging in gross stereotyping. I have a degree in music and I designed and built a house virtually by myself. Furthermore, I know many people who have bachelor degrees in any number of subjects that can fix or build anything.
I'm guessing there are plenty of people in those mostly New England states that can fix a diesel engine and build a house. A lot of them probably have degrees. How is any education in any subject a bad thing?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge admirer and advocate for the trades. This is engaging in gross stereotyping. I have a degree in music and I designed and built a house virtually by myself. Furthermore, I know many people who have bachelor degrees in any number of subjects that can fix or build anything.
I'm guessing there are plenty of people in those mostly New England states that can fix a diesel engine and build a house. A lot of them probably have degrees. How is any education in any subject a bad thing?
My statement was not about “education”. It was about studies about education levels and the criteria used to determine who is and who is not “educated”. People seem to be missing that. Oh well.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My statement was not about “education”. It was about studies about education levels and the criteria used to determine who is and who is not “educated”. People seem to be missing that. Oh well.

That is an excellent point … and one that has my support.
However …
I believe the study was based on the college degree variable.

That is absolutely up for debate where “smart” or “wise” are concerned.
But this is “most educated” ... which does infer an actual classroom and GPA and books and tests and whatnot.
That‘s my take anyway.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score

I understood your statement just fine. You take umbrage with their definition of "education" and heavily imply that "bachelor degrees, graduate degrees, and so forth," are of little value ("safe spaces," ha ha) compared to the actually useful education it takes to fix a diesel engine or build a house.
"No thanks" you say. What's wrong with bachelor degrees and up? What's wrong with pointing out where that type of education is most prevalent?
No one said the trades weren't important. They are very important. So are Doctors. So are janitors.
(For the record, I'm useless around a diesel engine!)

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It has become the "thing" to knock college education these days, and possibly with some good reason (due partially to the exorbitant fees charged by Universities nowadays) but back when me and all my buddies were teen-agers, it was the accepted thing that you went to college after you got out of high school.

I worked my way thru college (no loans for me, just part time jobs... mostly as a Janitor!) and eventually, after 7 years and a few drop-out semesters, I got a bachelor's degree from NAU in Flagstaff Arizona in 1978. I had a great time at the University, did some partying, played in cool bands and learned country drumming, backpacked the Grand Canyon (Geology field trip!), and met some great hiking buddies, a few girlfriends and lotsa fellow musicians. I later went on to get two more undergraduate degrees in Art and Music. I loved my time in Flagstaff, and would not trade those years of experience, music, schooling and friends for all the tea in China.

On the other hand, I was always a fix-it guy (my dad was an electrician) and I worked for years as a music store guitar tech here in Prescott. I still work on guitars daily, I love it. Believe it or not, it is very relaxing.

Cannot fix a diesel engine (well, I never tried) but I CAN wire an electric guitar or a house, and I CAN get college degrees. Using tools/fixing things and getting educated do not have to be mutually exclusive.

PS: I really enjoyed being a janitor at NAU... work at your own pace, relaxing, listen to music while you work... not a bad gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.