OT the most educated states in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was raised in a culture where the foetus isn't considered fully human until it achieves a university degree . I became a drummer and sailed the seven seas in search of romance and adventure .

No big deal . I was able to be of service to my parents in their final years . All was forgiven , I see a happy ending on the horizon . Am currently reading the biography of Zbigniew Brzezinski , a nice Polish boy .

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oz never did give nothing to the tin man
That he didn't
Didn't already have ..... America

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing the report is mostly weighted towards how much time people spent in school. I don’t necessarily place much value in that. I’d like to see a report showing number of people with critical thinking skills. Everything else drops in line behind that.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My statement was not about “education”. It was about studies about education levels and the criteria used to determine who is and who is not “educated”. People seem to be missing that. Oh well.
You're making a deal out of this where there is none.

If you have a graduate degree, you ARE more educated than someone with an associate's degree or a trade apprenticeship.

That's not a judgement, or a knock on people who don't have graduate degrees, it's just a fact.

It doesn't say anything about relative values to society, or who's a better person.

It doesn't even say anything about "intelligence".

Just that the person with a graduate degree is more educated.

Which, again, is a fact.

As someone else said, your comments say more about you than they do about anyone involved in this report.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The New England area, and the East coast in general, have more colleges and universities than the rest of the county. That's just a historical thing. Colorado and Washington have been able to attract college educated people through climate and jobs. That pretty much explains the top 10. I can't explain Minnesota.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The New England area, and the East coast in general, have more colleges and universities than the rest of the county. That's just a historical thing. Colorado and Washington have been able to attract college educated people through climate and jobs. That pretty much explains the top 10. I can't explain Minnesota.

So ... with all that "education" they haven't yet figured out how to leave the area to make their marks in other locales?
Seems kinda sketchy.

Minnesota has that royalty thing going on ... prince or some such.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ltks
So ... with all that "education" they haven't yet figured out how to leave the area to make their marks in other locales?
Seems kinda sketchy.

Minnesota has that royalty thing going on ... prince or some such.
Lots of people put down roots near where they attend college. And there are plenty of big companies ready to accept people straight out of school over there. Population density has its advantages in that respect. Population density also drives up real estate prices which selects for more educated, higher income people.

Edit to add: All those colleges on the east coast also churn out a new crop of graduates every year, so even if a lot eventually move away, they are continually replaced.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just read this ...
Imagine that ... the College Board reports that a College Education pays off.
What are the odds that that particular group would reach that particular decision?

Attachments

• education-pays-2019-full-report.pdf
    927.5 KB · Views: 5

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read this ...
Imagine that ... the College Board reports that a College Education pays off.
What are the odds that that particular group would reach that particular decision?

Some definitely do. Most probably do. Some probably don't. Don't borrow 200k for anything but med school. Buyer beware.

DBT

Reaction score
Ltks

Lots of people put down roots near where they attend college. And there are plenty of big companies ready to accept people straight out of school over there. Population density has its advantages in that respect. Population density also drives up real estate prices which selects for more educated, higher income people.

Edit to add: All those colleges on the east coast also churn out a new crop of graduates every year, so even if a lot eventually move away, they are continually replaced.
A lot of of young Grad’s these days are grabbing their Degree and becoming Ex Pat’s too .

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Found this interesting... I know my local community college here in Prescott has gotten a bit pricey lately. Here is how it compares cost-wise to the three major universities in AZ... cost is basic TUITION only (no room/board, no lab fees, no books etc) for 12 credit hours (about four classes), for one year (two semesters)

NAU $10,650

UofA $12,600

ASU $10,710

YAVAPAI COLLEGE $2,280 ($95 per credit hour)

When I started at NAU in 1974 I paid a grand total of $212 for one semester, 16 credits.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You're making a deal out of this where there is none.

If you have a graduate degree, you ARE more educated than someone with an associate's degree or a trade apprenticeship.

That's not a judgement, or a knock on people who don't have graduate degrees, it's just a fact.

It doesn't say anything about relative values to society, or who's a better person.

It doesn't even say anything about "intelligence".

Just that the person with a graduate degree is more educated.

Which, again, is a fact.

As someone else said, your comments say more about you than they do about anyone involved in this report.
You make an assumption that a university is the only way to get educated. Not a fact.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that actually play out? ... from the NYTimes - the bastion of truth and honor

View attachment 560208

My thinking is that these are more recent trends, and Americans are much more mobile than they used to be. The rankings in the report in the OP will likely change soon. The Carolinas, Georgia, and Texas are red hot right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.