OT the Red Sox...Rays series .....WOW

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably won't be much of a series in the American League. McCullers is off the Astros roster with an injury and now our third starter has left in the second inning of game two with an injury. This was going to be a bullpen series for Houston because we've struggled to get any length out of our starters for a long time, but this is probably an insurmountable challenge now. We'd need to average 5+ runs every game to keep pace with what Boston will do to a bullpen as taxed as ours.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Including the playoffs, the Astros have only had their starter finish at least six innings 12 times in their past 36 games. Mixing and matching against Texas and Cleveland is one thing. Getting through this Red Sox line up and the National League champ is way, way too much to ask.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will be very, very surprised if the Astros let Odorizzi go through the rotation a third time. I have no confidence we don't let him just eat up innings even if the alternative is to tax our bullpen even more. We make some pretty braindead decisions in the name of maintaining the game plan.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree 100%. I'm a lifelong Dodger fan and that left a sour taste in my mouth. A ref's call should never decide the outcome of a game, let alone a postseason series. Would've been better to call 'no strike' and give Scherzer the one more pitch he would've needed to get Flores to whiff.
Absolutely it was a horrible call but not the single reason the Hated Ones lost that series.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I will be very, very surprised if the Astros let Odorizzi go through the rotation a third time. I have no confidence we don't let him just eat up innings even if the alternative is to tax our bullpen even more. We make some pretty braindead decisions in the name of maintaining the game plan.
Last night game was great... today not so much. Hard to beat a great team without pitching

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last night game was great... today not so much. Hard to beat a great team without pitching
Man, the bullpen has really stepped up since game four against the White Sox, even if I wrote them off in the second inning today. The grand slam given up by Odorizzi has more to do with the circumstances of his "start" than it does Boston being a better team. Boston is excellent but Luis handed them that game on a silver platter. Even Maldonado was calling a weird game, I thought. You can't give a team as good as Boston free wins in the playoffs. They're gonna take some of their own and don't need the help.

But even down 9-0 Houston is dangerous. If Yuli has a better at-bat in the 6th and brings home Yordan and Tucker we're looking at a 9-5 game with nine outs to go. Even in the ninth and down six we were dangerous. I just can't believe Diaz didn't get on for Castro. That was his freaking moment because there was no doubt Castro had another late-inning homer in him.

We don't have to be perfect, but the pitching just can't implode like it did in the first two innings. Boston's bullpen is not untouchable and we need to go out looking for breathing room, not playing catch up.

Also glad they threw Eovaldi in a game they had little chance of losing. Makes games three and four look far more manageable.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If Houston can get clean innings from their starters, and they can just go FOUR innings reliably, they can win this series. The Astro bullpen is probably marginally better than Boston's, on the whole. The regular season showed Houston to be the better team although it's far more even now, and outside of Kiké's homer in the ninth yesterday, Boston has only scored one run after the third inning.

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice to watch the Red Sox humiliate the Cheaters today. Maybe if they had a trash can handy they might have mounted a better come back in the ninth.

Keith Balla

Reaction score
Hi TheElectricCompany,
Fellow Astros fan here! Very exciting to be going back to the WS. Framber, Garcia and Urquidy are gonna need to come up big and eat some innings for the bullpen. If Greinke can go 3 or 4 innings even though he's shaky and not very stretched out after coming back, I'd much rather see him than Odorizzi. I'm glad Click went and got Maton, Yimi Garcia, Stanek (in the offseason) and Graveman, but it still seems hard for me to trust this pen other than Pressly.

One thing is for sure: this offense is incredible and so fun to watch; really fortunate that everyone is healthy at the right time (1-7 at least).

Go 'Stros!!

Keith Balla

Reaction score
Watch out for Rosario. Dodgers had no answer for him.
Yeah he's on fire right now...that 3 run homer off of Buehler yesterday was huge for the Braves. Their whole offense is pretty scary and like the Astros vs. Boston, they've really hit like crazy with two outs.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi TheElectricCompany,
Fellow Astros fan here! Very exciting to be going back to the WS. Framber, Garcia and Urquidy are gonna need to come up big and eat some innings for the bullpen. If Greinke can go 3 or 4 innings even though he's shaky and not very stretched out after coming back, I'd much rather see him than Odorizzi. I'm glad Click went and got Maton, Yimi Garcia, Stanek (in the offseason) and Graveman, but it still seems hard for me to trust this pen other than Pressly.

One thing is for sure: this offense is incredible and so fun to watch; really fortunate that everyone is healthy at the right time (1-7 at least).

Go 'Stros!!
I can't believe how well the bullpen performed in the ALCS. They've been a weak point all season and they dominated Boston, outside of game three (I don't count that grand slam given up by Odorizzi in game two, given the circumstances of his appearance; plus, he was fine besides that).

I'm probably as confident going into this series as I was in 2019, which is wild because we don't have near the pitching staff we did that year and this Braves offense is better than those Nationals. I thought we'd win that one in five or six. Hopefully I'm not wrong to be confident and we come away with another ring.

goodcat1337

Reaction score
I had no clue this thread existed. I really feel like this might be the year the Braves get it done. It just feels different. I was lucky to get to go with my dad and brother in law to game 6 of the NLCS and it was crazy. And then the way they started out last night, I didn't see that coming either. I'm gonna call the Braves in 6.