OT: THE Rolling Stones

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been getting into the deep tracks station on Sirius and they play a lot of Stones stuff that isn't played on heavy rotation like the non-rock and yeah, I'm a fan but that's where my likes have been gravitating lately anyway.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
I love the blues and country inspired stuff, maybe even more than the rock oriented material as it aligns more with my tastes these days. For me it stands up to repeated listening better than the more popular material, and they certainly knew how to do it. Their interpretations of blues tunes like Love in Vain and Prodigal Son are inspired and show a serious reverence for the originals.

Keith's friendship with Gram Parsons seems to have really enriched their music as well, especially on tunes like Torn and Frayed and Wild Horses. Exile would be my favourite album, and it explores both of the aforementioned genres with great success. Keith and Mick's harmonizing on that album seems especially country-tinged as well, and all the better for it.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a weave.. This May Be The Last Time Maybe The Last Time I don't Know.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the Stones, but when people talk about their country side, what comes immediately to mind is "Faraway Eyes," which I initially thought was a joke... I still hope it is. "Dead Flowers" is another dud, but I'd have to say one of their worst songs is "Salt of the Earth" ... It sounds to me like a bunch of pampered rich kids sneering at people who have to work actual jobs.

I love a lot of their cover songs ... According to this list, their regular studio albums included 9 by Chuck Berry and half-dozen by Muddy Waters.

Undercover: Songs Covered By The Rolling Stones (gerardslinkert.nl)

Reaction score
Love the Stones, but when people talk about their country side, what comes immediately to mind is "Faraway Eyes," which I initially thought was a joke... I still hope it is. "Dead Flowers" is another dud, but I'd have to say one of their worst songs is "Salt of the Earth" ... It sounds to me like a bunch of pampered rich kids sneering at people who have to work actual jobs.

I love a lot of their cover songs ... According to this list, their regular studio albums included 9 by Chuck Berry and half-dozen by Muddy Waters.

Undercover: Songs Covered By The Rolling Stones (gerardslinkert.nl)

Mick and Keith performed Salt Of The Earth on the MSG 9-11 show a week after Sept 1, 2001.
It's a tribute to workers, and working class laborers like the 9-11 workers.....
The Rolling Stones working class roots are well documented.
Your post reads like you don't listen to, or enjoy much Stones stuff.

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
How many here are fans of The Rolling Stones non-rock songs? I'm not a big fan of blues and country music, but there's something about how the Stones play 'em that appeal to me.

Any one else feel the same say?
I definitely feel the same way as you. But I'm also a big fan of their mid-late 60s pop stuff, as well. Brian Jones's influences on the compositions were very strong then. For a blues purist, Brian was able to add all sorts of tapestries and layers to their work. And again, for blues guys, Mick and Keith had an uncanny ability to write catchy pop tunes. Dandelion, We Love You, Child of the Moon, Let's Spend the Night Together, She's a Rainbow, Ruby Tuesday.... And pretty much the entire Between the Buttons LP (which Mick still doesn't think is very good).

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sweet Virginia is clever , they get to heart of it on this one naturally without seeming contrived . Watts is a master shuffle-ist , Richards understands the ride and Jagger has a firm grip on articulation,cadence and meter . All very natural . Not Haggard, but closer than their others.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Getting back to the original post, I love all Stones songs. Some songs more than others, warts and all.

Vistalite, I’m curious if you’ve listened to the lyrics of those songs you mentioned?
I think it's possible to enjoy something and remain a critical listener. I like Breyer's Ice Cream generally, but hate Breyer's Rocky Road.

So, yes, I've taken in a good deal of Stones lyrics over 40-plus years of listening, but I think the mock "country" accent on "Faraway Eyes" makes it sound like an eye-rolling parody of a country song to me.

As far as the Stones' working class roots, Jagger's parents were teachers (middle class) and the London School of Economics, which Jagger attended, is a refuge of the swanky.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
I found a good list of their top 10 blues songs. The Stones always delivered on blues and country because they had a deep respect for the music. They got their name from Muddy Waters song "Rollin Stone."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-blues-songs/
There's actually a lot that's been attributed to Muddy Waters, but goes back even further. I won't claim to know how exactly they chose their name, but Robert Wilkins (who wrote Prodigal Son which they also covered) was recording well before Muddy Waters, and also has a song "Rollin' Stone' (parts 1 and 2) that predates recordings by Waters. Whether that's the one they heard first, I can't say.