OT: THE Rolling Stones

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's possible to enjoy something and remain a critical listener. I like Breyer's Ice Cream generally, but hate Breyer's Rocky Road.

So, yes, I've taken in a good deal of Stones lyrics over 40-plus years of listening, but I think the mock "country" accent on "Faraway Eyes" makes it sound like an eye-rolling parody of a country song to me.

As far as the Stones' working class roots, Jagger's parents were teachers (middle class) and the London School of Economics, which Jagger attended, is a refuge of the swanky.
Fair enough. I'll admit the first time I heard "Far Away Eyes" I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I've seen them play it live a few times and they genuinely mean it.

Well, Charlie is from a working class family, as is Keith... and you've put me in the mood for ice cream.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
I am a big stones fan but I have never liked their "reggae" numbers. They always seemed like filler material. But, there was a time like with the Clash and other rock bands, doing reggae songs was the trendy and thing to do.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the Stones..They were pissing people off 50 years ago and now they are still pissing people off 50 years later..that's rock'n'roll...
Closer to 60 years than 50.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sweet Virginia is clever , they get to heart of it on this one naturally without seeming contrived . Watts is a master shuffle-ist , Richards understands the ride and Jagger has a firm grip on articulation,cadence and meter . All very natural . Not Haggard, but closer than their others.
I agree! Charlie is a true master of the shuffle.

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet Virginia is clever , they get to heart of it on this one naturally without seeming contrived . Watts is a master shuffle-ist , Richards understands the ride and Jagger has a firm grip on articulation,cadence and meter . All very natural . Not Haggard, but closer than their others.
[/QUOTE
Yes they are. Here's one of my favorite tunes

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always play the Stones on jukebox during our breaks. Love it.
They tried so hard to be a legit r&b band while remaining who they are at the same time. I can totally relate

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always been a bigger Beatles fan but early Stones do it for me.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I was a super hot chick and Jagger started wooing me by singing Angie while inserting my name instead...I'd call an Uber by the 2nd verse and get the hell out of there.
He ain't no crooner.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it's possible to enjoy something and remain a critical listener. I like Breyer's Ice Cream generally, but hate Breyer's Rocky Road.

So, yes, I've taken in a good deal of Stones lyrics over 40-plus years of listening, but I think the mock "country" accent on "Faraway Eyes" makes it sound like an eye-rolling parody of a country song to me.

As far as the Stones' working class roots, Jagger's parents were teachers (middle class) and the London School of Economics, which Jagger attended, is a refuge of the swanky.
I love the stones and hope, - like I hope all the older acts keep going as long as possible , I think it's righteous they should, Now, I've always liked the romantic idea of these rock n roll rebel stars being working class, the thing is at first glance the stones may look like that but I'm thinking they are all middle class lads. Its just been said here about Micks background, and underneath keefs London accent you can hear a bit of 'class' in his voice. Sorry if I've obsessed to much about a silly cllass issue.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One overlooked thing about the Rolling Stones is how they support for emerging artists... It's worth wondering whether some of the bands the Stones took on tour would have reached the heights they did without being onstage at Stones gigs. Examples that come to mind include:

The J. Geils Band

Black Crowes

Living Colour

Cranberries

Blues Traveler, Foo Fighters, Sheryl Crow, Pearl Jam, The Dave Matthews Band (all in 97-98).

In fact, What "Baby Band" (that went on to do big things) Did You See Open for The Rolling Stones? could be a great thread.