OT: THE Rolling Stones

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Stones are.....The Stones! Whatever you do or say, they've been around since the beginning of RnR and one of the most famous legendary bands ever. And they are still at it together (less Brian, RIP, Bill and Mick). That in and of itself is amazing. Having seen them a few times in the last 30+ years was always very special and a rocking show. Last time for me was around 2000.....and they are still going!

As for opening acts it they always had established openers - Living Color/GNR ('89 two nights in a row!), Buddy Guy/RHCP ('95) and Bryan Adams (about '00 - he actually was great). The best show of the 3 was the last one.....what does that say?

They are rock legends, icons, royalty, etc....like it or not....and I like it......

Last edited:

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been getting into the deep tracks station on Sirius and they play a lot of Stones stuff that isn't played on heavy rotation like the non-rock and yeah, I'm a fan but that's where my likes have been gravitating lately anyway.
The Rolling Stones should have a dedicated station on Sirius-XM...but instead we have Phish,Pearl Jam,Grateful Dead...

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first Stones album I bought when it came out was 12 x 5 and I've loved 'em ever since. I don't like ever song they've ever done, but that's true for every band or artist I like. Charlie is a drummer I tried to emulate, along with several others, but he plays simply and tastefully as far as I'm concerned. I've only seen them once, but I'm not into big venues, so I happily enjoy them on Spotify. Tumbling Dice is one of my favorites.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rolling Stones should have a dedicated station on Sirius-XM...but instead we have Phish,Pearl Jam,Grateful Dead...
I don’t know, several times, I’ve listened to the Stones catalog over a period of a few days and while they do have a lot of songs, it wouldn’t be enough to have a station dedicated to them. I think it would get repetitive pretty quick, but that’s true for probably any band. A classic rock station with a huge number of bands where you can skip songs would be great though.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well since you asked, here's my 2 cents. I LOVE the Stones. Hands-down my favorite band. And I LOVE Charlie even more. I can honestly say he's my friend and I'm pretty sure he'd say the same about me. Pretty sure ;)

I think they should definitely have their own Sirius channel and have said that many times. They're totally missing the boat if you ask me...

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think they should definitely have their own Sirius channel and have said that many times. They're totally missing the boat if you ask me...
I think that's a great idea, John. The closest thing they have now would likely be Little Steven's Underground Garage, where they're in pretty heavy rotation. Especially well-represented is their early stuff, which has been pretty much ignored by the mainstream for decades. Of course, ABCKO owns most of the stuff prior to Sticky Fingers (I believe), so maybe that has something to do with it. I know Allen Klein did them NO favors.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well since you asked, here's my 2 cents. I LOVE the Stones. Hands-down my favorite band. And I LOVE Charlie even more. I can honestly say he's my friend and I'm pretty sure he'd say the same about me. Pretty sure ;)

If I were to be program director of their channel, I would include their influences as well as their music and even stuff they like. There is a lot of material right there.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anyone else diggin' on non Rock-n-Roll songs by THE Rolling Stones?
I'm a closet Black and Blue fan. Stripped down, reggae skank, funk rhythm guitar more central than ever. Not really rock. What Presence is to Led Zeppelin, B&B is to the Stones.

Edit: and on B&B Charlie's drums are nice and LOUD. You can hear 'em just fine.

Last edited:

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's a great idea, John. The closest thing they have now would likely be Little Steven's Underground Garage, where they're in pretty heavy rotation. Especially well-represented is their early stuff, which has been pretty much ignored by the mainstream for decades. Of course, ABCKO owns most of the stuff prior to Sticky Fingers (I believe), so maybe that has something to do with it. I know Allen Klein did them NO favors.
I love Little Steven’s Underground Garage and I agree they play a lot of great album tracks, as opposed to just their hits, which they play too.

I’ve wondered if the reason they don’t have their own channel has to do with a business decision on the Stones’ part. As you say, they don’t own their ABCKO catalog prior to 1971, when they formed Rolling Stones Records under Atlantic. Yes, Allen Klein was no friend of the Stones. They have the savviest business managers and Mick himself is a savvy businessman and they don’t associate their name and iconic tongue logo with corporations like SiriusXM for pennies, which is what it translates to with streaming. So who knows...

Interestingly, Peter Erskine is working on a project for Modern Drummer called “Infinity Drummers” (he mentions it on “Live From My Drum Room”) and asked me for a Stones song to represent Charlie Watts. I couldn’t settle on one, so I sent him a few suggestions and most were album tracks. Stay tuned for that.

GregR

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the Stones. I love the country influenced songs especially as mentioned the Gram Parsons era. My favourite Stones era is the Mick Taylor years, but I have been a fan fo close to 50 years - probably my favourite band of all time. Tatoo You is so good because most of those songs were recorded during the Some girls sessions. The outtakes from those sessions are very strong. They were on fire in their NYC years as well.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like Far Away Eyes, yes it is a parity and it’s funny and it is an incredible country tune as well(country is filled with humor in case you didn’t know it!).
Generally I’m an album listener of the Stones so Some girls is awesome Miss You on there too I guess if you want to call at non rock. I’m inclusive on genres so honestly everything the Stones plays is rock—there’s a lot of blues there’s a lot of reggae lots of soul/dance but it’s all rock if you ask me. Other tunes of note Dance and Emotional Rescue on Emotional Rescue.

Another act opened for the Stones in 81 was Tina Turner—that may not sound like much but Private dancer hadn’t come out until 1984 a lot of people don’t know that Tina turner was not always riding on the top of the heap I recall when she was opening for the Stones, the only thing you would ever hear on the radio was rolling on the River, a tune that was 10 years old by that time but it was a very special song to hear because she has an amazing beautiful voice.

Stones put one or two of these types of tunes you’re talking about on every album. I’m also a fan of Black and Blue—It’s a great album—Hot Stuff, Cherry Oh Baby two tunes like that you guys are looking for—have fun, great topic!

On a tangential note: Is anybody with me that the stones lost a lot of what they had when Bill Wyman left the group? Some of his bass lines are just making those tunes! Especially the ones that are non-rock (the reggae tunes the dance tunes, etc)—all have amazing basslines on them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like Far Away Eyes, yes it is a parity and it’s funny and it is an incredible country tune as well(country is filled with humor in case you didn’t know it!).
Generally I’m an album listener of the Stones so Some girls is awesome Miss You on there too I guess if you want to call at non rock. I’m inclusive on genres so honestly everything the Stones plays is rock—there’s a lot of blues there’s a lot of reggae lots of soul/dance but it’s all rock if you ask me. Other tunes of note Dance and Emotional Rescue on Emotional Rescue.

Another act opened for the Stones in 81 was Tina Turner—that may not sound like much but Private dancer hadn’t come out until 1984 a lot of people don’t know that Tina turner was not always riding on the top of the heap I recall when she was opening for the Stones, the only thing you would ever hear on the radio was rolling on the River, a tune that was 10 years old by that time but it was a very special song to hear because she has an amazing beautiful voice.

Stones put one or two of these types of tunes you’re talking about on every album. I’m also a fan of Black and Blue—It’s a great album—Hot Stuff, Cherry Oh Baby two tunes like that you guys are looking for—have fun, great topic!

On a tangential note: Is anybody with me that the stones lost a lot of what they had when Bill Wyman left the group? Some of his bass lines are just making those tunes! Especially the ones that are non-rock (the reggae tunes the dance tunes, etc)—all have amazing basslines on them.
Wyman's bass always was musical, complimented the melody and made the band swing more than the funky style current bass playing.....IMO.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tickets to see them. If that ever happens. Over a year now. Glad I got the insurance on those tickets.