OT-The Stock Market

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I know we have a few astute investors here. I just opened a Schwab account and was waiting for a pullback. LOL! I can't quit watching CNBC. Ace

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just remember it's all a big gambling game. The difference is the guys who work in the towers in NY have an edge on the game that you don't have.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not an astute investor myself, I just keep an eye on my mutual funds. But I may have to diversify more into the U.S. market myself as my funds are largely tied to Canadian investments. There's a lot of confidence and optimism in the U.S. economy right now.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would suggest to think long-term (as an analogy, I would say think climate not weather) when investing, so that during downturns you're less tempted to throw yourself off a tall building! I've been investing long enough that I've seen stagnation, serious reversals of principle and some killa' comebacks.

I'm not a very diverse investor, in fact most "financial advisors" would throttle me, but I've done well for myself. My only true regret is that I wasn't investing strong enough, early enough. By that I mean in the early days I didn't max out on the before-tax contributions, instead favoring cash vehicles (my thought process was the comfort in the liquidity, but inflation just erodes that value!!!). Also investing aggressively (earning % wise) early gives you a chance to make up in case anything does go wrong... because when investing (again thinking long-term) time is your friend.

Also, devinw is 100% correct, the other thought should be that you're at a table in Vegas. Automated trading by the "big guys" can make it difficult to find real bargains... So I usually don't go looking for them and thus favor big, well-run US companies and the aforementioned long-term mentality.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest thing I learned as I traded stocks is that I'm not good at trading stocks. In recent years I've been researching good mutual funds, buying them, and then leaving them alone no matter what, and I've done pretty well with it that way. Zacks has a decent mutual fund screener that's been quite helpful to me. Anyway, some people seem to have a natural intuition with picking individual stocks, but that's not me.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd like to go back to being 18 and start saving five bucks a week 10 bucks a week when I'm 19, 15 when I'm 20 and so on and so on. You have to do it treat it like a bill and forget about it. Thankfully I've been smart enough in my mid 40's till now(I'm 49 now) to wipe out stupid debt like credit cards ect ect and start saving like crazy and stick money in an investment program through my bank which does very well. Through my work I have an annuity that's been paid into for 12 years now and it really grows like crazy! I'll retire when I'm 60 and should have at least 1/2 a million after taxes, that's a good feeling!!!

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was a Chief Financial Officer for two decades and followed the national and international markets and economy closely. My best advice is to pay attention to everything Warren Buffet says and does. He is in a league of his own as far as prediction accuracy.

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hop said:
I would suggest to think long-term (as an analogy, I would say think climate not weather) when investing, so that during downturns you're less tempted to throw yourself off a tall building! I've been investing long enough that I've seen stagnation, serious reversals of principle and some killa' comebacks.

I'm not a very diverse investor, in fact most "financial advisors" would throttle me, but I've done well for myself. My only true regret is that I wasn't investing strong enough, early enough. By that I mean in the early days I didn't max out on the before-tax contributions, instead favoring cash vehicles (my thought process was the comfort in the liquidity, but inflation just erodes that value!!!). Also investing aggressively (earning % wise) early gives you a chance to make up in case anything does go wrong... because when investing (again thinking long-term) time is your friend.

Also, devinw is 100% correct, the other thought should be that you're at a table in Vegas. Automated trading by the "big guys" can make it difficult to find real bargains... So I usually don't go looking for them and thus favor big, well-run US companies and the aforementioned long-term mentality.
All very well said.

For a regular guy, long-term really is the only way to go, unless you want to do things that are "less than legal" let's just say. I've started maxing out the pre-tax 401k and Roth contributions and wish I had started that earlier.

I also had a "wish I did that moment" where for the first 5 years at my company I always sold my stocks (boought at a discount) every quarter to get the instant 15% gain + whatever else had happened over the quarter. Fast forward and we bought a company and our stock now trades at 290+ a share. When I was selling on the regular we were in the 30s-50s. If I had heald everything from then until now I'd have about $250k.... Fuck. But hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own a few stocks directly.

First things first. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE EXECUTING A BUY!! Don't execute a whimsical buy because of a supposed 'hot tip' someone gave you. If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

You should also assess your risk tolerance. Blue chip stocks (Ford, Lockheed Martin, etc.) are fairly stable. Penny stocks are a real crap-shoot.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buy for the long term...don't stress out over daily ups and downs. During the crash of 2008 I stopped looking but my wife told me not to bail and to stick it out. Turned out to be great advice.

Someone once told me when you start getting stock tips from cab drivers and waiters, it's time to get out of the stock market.

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm in it for the long haul. My wife and I have tried to diversify our investments (stocks/mutual funds/TFSAs/rental property/GICs) without being spread out too thin. We're far from being traders, but we're hoping things will pay off long term for us.

There's always that kicking yourself moment of "why didn't we invest in *blank* years ago!?!" So we try not to think too much about it haha

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
i like reading this : http://www.technologyinvestor.com/

not all investment (a little like reading your crazy uncle's blog)...one good idea he has is a stop loss order of 15% on every stock he buys...

...I met his son and daughter in law...but that's another story....

Doosh

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
devinw said:
Just remember it's all a big gambling game. The difference is the guys who work in the towers in NY have an edge on the game that you don't have.
Really, not it's not.

If you are doing your homework, buying firms with long term value, and also spreading your risk between equities, bonds and debt instruments, and so on, it works great for the little guy, and it's not gambling.

Yes, the large banks have a major edge in short and especially very shortly held positions, but that's not what brings a nest egg real value.

janeybug

janeybug
Reaction score
Rich K. said:
Buy for the long term...don't stress out over daily ups and downs. During the crash of 2008 I stopped looking but my wife told me not to bail and to stick it out. Turned out to be great advice.

Someone once told me when you start getting stock tips from cab drivers and waiters, it's time to get out of the stock market.
thats what Joe Kennedy said.....when the shoeshine boy knows as much as I do about a stock, its time to get out.....

Also rememember, only a fool holds out for the last dolllar.

also , buy index funds....they beat 90% of the stock pickers, low fees, and takes the guess work out of deciding which stocks to buy

janeybug

janeybug
Reaction score
Doosh said:
Really, not it's not.

If you are doing your homework, buying firms with long term value, and also spreading your risk between equities, bonds and debt instruments, and so on, it works great for the little guy, and it's not gambling.

Yes, the large banks have a major edge in short and especially very shortly held positions, but that's not what brings a nest egg real value.
plus one...its not gambling if you buy the s and p 500 and hold it long term....buying a single stock and hoping short term is gamblng........that's speculation, long term is investing

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Yes, an S&P ETF is the way to go. Not schooled on those but my broker golf buddy said the fees are cheaper on the ETF than the Vanguard Index Fund. I think I will buy some Amazon, Walmart and Boeing, United Healthcare, GM and Facebook after the current shake out in FB. Another one is The Children's Place. A retailer playing the coming demographics like a dream. BTW, GM sells more cars in China than here. I think that they are in the front of the driverless car thing. Oh, and nvedia. Is that spelled right? Ace

Rotarded

Reaction score
So, no one here dabbling in Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Alt. coins)?

Almost all the principals spoken of above apply to Crypto as well, Although the Exchanges never close.

In April I made a small investment in several "coins", and some mining equipment, and the returns have been mind boggling.

orvilleb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ive made a small fortune in the market...unfortunately, I started with a large one.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich K. said:

Yes, the market when down below 8,000...I was freaked out and wanted to get out. I was convinced not to and I told my investor that when/if it ever got above 12,000 again, that I would get out for good. Thank God, I didn't do the either...it is now above 25,000! Now, it will go through a correction, probably this year as that is historically what happens with the second year of any presidency.