OT-The Stock Market

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just love the freedom of trading stocks online with $5.00 trades. Also, the corporate and economic information available is great. I marvel at all the experts that totally disagree. What is not being said is that it's easy to pick winners in a bull market. Finding them in a bear market seems next to impossible. Amgen is one that is supposed to do well in a bear market. I have a rule about bottom fishing also. "A dollar stock can easily go to $0.50. GE can be tempting, but only because of its past. I have been in real estate, but it seems to me that the property taxes have become punitive. Millenials are not buying houses like previous generations. They don't like beer or golf or guitars either, as much. I love owning a house outright and medicare and social security are great. It's money that I paid in, so I deserve it. Is anyone else noticing more Subaru cars and SUVs on the road? I think it's the all wheel drive. I am watching that stock. Ace
You drifted off at the end there, Ace.

I think it just depends on how you want to approach the stock market. If you want to invest in a stock, or a fund (mutual or index), then finding something with solid fundamentals will likely work out well for you as an investment. If it has dividends, that's even better for investors. If you want to be more of a trader you need to look at price action, volume, chart patterns, market sentiment, trading psychology, news/catalysts, etc. to know when the right time to get in and out are. The potential to earn more money with small accounts (basically your every day person, not hedge fund managers) is far greater with the latter, but most people do not want to put in the work. Also, it's not too difficult to find profitable stocks in a bear market. You just need to know how to look for them. You can also short stocks and make money on them while their price goes down. There is always money to be made in any market.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Having a house paid for and getting health insurance with social security allows me more mad money to invest. A much different scenario than for a younger person. I also have much more time to watch CNBC. The millennial reference was in response to real estate investing. Houses normally would be more in demand. Beer companies are getting into pot. Guitar Center in financial trouble. Not sure where I drifted, in your opinion. No big thing though. I used to subscribe to Investors Business Daily Charts and Graphs, but it's just not my thing. I like the fundamentals. I do look at volume on occasion. I like the cup and handle pattern that breaks out on good volume though. I went to a workshop with William O'Neil and David Ryan. Heard a very interesting fact a few days ago. Guess what percentage of retail is done online? The mind goes to Amazon and E-bay right away. Well turns out it's only 15%. Brick and mortar still doing the most. Am I drifting again? Laugh! Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Warren Buffet is even or some in the red with Apple Stock, per CNBC this morning. It was also said that cash was the best asset in 2018. I am still all in cash, but always looking for a winner. The yield is down on the 10 year note. That will be good for stocks maybe when the geopolitical issues subside. Good quote this morning. "Better to be a gold miner than a bitcoin miner." I am not a gold bug though. Ace
P.S. I don't know if things are selling but Rogers drums on E-bay are listed very high. I might sell a few of mine.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
This is a very frustrating time. Netflix!! It's up 50% from the December lows, but they operate in the red. They are focused on increasing their subscriber base and spending billions on content. They say that Disney and Amazon etc, are too far behind in their streaming programs to beat out Netflix. Cramer wants Apple to buy the largest medical records company (Epic Systems) to integrate health records into the wearable watches. That sounds feasible. Musk is now saying that it's harder to compete with fossil fuel cars than was estimated. If the China mess gets somewhat sorted out, the market will rise, but it's still a minefield. I think that China is messing with North Korea in more of a negative way, as part of the negotiations, or for a long term plan. This geopolitical stuff is another wild card that is keeping me on the sideline for now. Ace

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Made 3 trades this past week. Won 2, lost 1. $600 profit. Small earnings, but more importantly was how I played the trades, how I saw the patterns and how I protected my gains and kept my losses small.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Made 3 trades this past week. Won 2, lost 1. $600 profit. Small earnings, but more importantly was how I played the trades, how I saw the patterns and how I protected my gains and kept my losses small.
Cool. I would be very happy with that. Micron might finally be a buy. The chip sector is still scary to me though. Ace

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
While the govt is shutdown, everything seems to be doing fine, lol
Actually, only a small part is actually shut down, but even there the work is being done in many cases, but checks are being held up. The only folks who will actually lose any money are contractors. If they don't work, they cannot submit an invoice and they will not be paid. And that's unfortunate.

But for most Americans the shut down is something to read about, but there isn't much evidence of it around us.

I've been in all cash since December, unfortunately that means I've missed out on the latest recovery. But there's always tomorrow....

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was making a joke, however, my investment account has made almost 900 since the shutdown. It almost seems that everytimes DT farts the market goes into a downward spiral. He is so worried about our southern border that he hasn't had anytime to talk about other things.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Last January, I jumped in because of the tax cuts. So far, it's hard to see the results. Interest rates and the tariffs were the big things. Powell has backed off of rate hike talk. China looms over the market and also other foreign markets. I still don't trust this market. China, Russia and North Korea suck big time. Laugh! Ace

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I’m in on a company called organigram, 1,000 shares and I’m up over $1,000.00 in 20 working days. It is suppose to become a $15.00 stock, we shall see? I bought in at 5.60 a share

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and if you are the proprietor of the hash stock, it's legal to sell it.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
China manipulates N Korea behind the scenes, and makes it possible for them to stand up to us. China does this because it distracts our leadership, and makes it easier for China to work towards dominating the world economically - which is their long-term plan. Their economy is still smaller than ours, but not for long.

China could easily smack down Kim if they wanted, and remove him as a threat to the world. Without China's support, N Korea would collapse. But they care less about being heroes on the world stage and more about economic domination and having a burr under our saddle...