OT-The Stock Market

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
You're right on Dan. So I have to sit on the side lines now because the market is to vulnerable to these geopolitical events. It's been going up, but I think it's too risky. The FAANG stocks are not that dependent on a deal with China, but the overall market is still vulnerable to this tariff stand off. Isn't Tesla the darnedest company? 220 miles on a charge is not that much. Battery technology seems to have hit a wall. I almost bought Boeing right before the last crash, thinking that it was a safe bet. Staying in cash for now. Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
My main observation is simply that the 10 year bonds are paying less interest, which is good for stocks. BUT, overseas markets are down and the China factor looms big. Some think that December marked the correction that was predicted. Who knows? Recession? Who knows? I do think that Levi Strauss is an interesting IPO. Then again, why did they need to go public? My stock broker buddy told me not to buy Yeti. It quickly doubled. Laugh! Ace
P.S. The Mueller investigation ending will be good for the market.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I just bought 200 shares of Emerson Electric to get back in the market. My nephew works for them and he seems to be doing well. I have an Emerson Fan that I like. Laugh! The company has interesting, broad businesses that do not seem to be dependent on China. They just ran an ad on CNBC that I liked. To me, an ad campaign is good. We shall see. Earnings come in on May 7th. Ace

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone looking at or investing in Marijuana stocks? I know that Canada made medical and recreational use legal.

Does anyone subscribe to the Motley Fool newsletter? I am thinking of subscribing and hoping the $100 subscription is worth it.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I now own 3000 shares of a company called organigram, medical marijuana. There is another one I’ve been following that’s under a buck.50, supreme canines company.
Not much info on Schwab's website about the company. It has more than doubled since the lows in December. Hope you got in back then. Only 150 million shares. No institutional following. P/E of 29. Maybe it is under the radar and a good bet? How did you find out about it? Ace

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
Me and a buddy we’re talking and he just mentioned marijuana stock and I said I’ll start looking into a few. organigram came up along with a few others and I started following them and I was watching this one the most. I bought in at 5:60 a share. Good speculation that it will get to 15 a share. I started buying on Valentine’s Day. I believe that once it gets to $10 a share I’m going to get out and buy something else.

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
Buy for the long term...don't stress out over daily ups and downs. During the crash of 2008 I stopped looking but my wife told me not to bail and to stick it out. Turned out to be great advice.

Someone once told me when you start getting stock tips from cab drivers and waiters, it's time to get out of the stock market.

I heard that was attributed to Joe Kennedy JFK‘s father

Supposedly in the 1920s a shoeshine boy was giving stock tips

He reportedly said when a shoeshine boy knows as much about the market as I do it’s time to sell

Also Reportedly said only a fool call out for the last dollar

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
Buy for the long term...don't stress out over daily ups and downs. During the crash of 2008 I stopped looking but my wife told me not to bail and to stick it out. Turned out to be great advice.

Someone once told me when you start getting stock tips from cab drivers and waiters, it's time to get out of the stock market.

He reportedly said when a shoeshine boy knows as much about the market as I do it’s time to sell

Also Reportedly said only a fool call out for the last

Also Reportedly said only a fool hols out for the last dollar

Groov-E

Reaction score
Anyone looking at or investing in Marijuana stocks? I know that Canada made medical and recreational use legal.

Does anyone subscribe to the Motley Fool newsletter? I am thinking of subscribing and hoping the $100 subscription is worth it.
Indulge with care.

Revenues do not command such high valuations.

I live in Canada, and the potheads I ask can buy a gram of illegal weed for well under 10$ while the legal stuff is way overpriced.

Very speculative market.

Groov-E

Reaction score
Indulge with care.

Revenues do not command such high valuations.

I live in Canada, and the potheads I ask can buy a gram of illegal weed for well under 10$ while the legal stuff is way overpriced.

Very speculative market.
I am more into smaller mining companies at the moment, think Virginia Mines bought by Osisko in 2014.

Even more speculative !

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
ROKU It's one of the stocks that I bought because I suddenly saw it included in TVs at Best Buy and the salesmen recommended the stick over the Prime Stick. Then I sold it due to the market volatility. The story changed recently without me knowing. Now a ROKU stick or app can replace a converter box and save you $5.00 a month per box. You stream from your wi-fi. I bought a cheap TCL TV that had the ROKU app included, but the remote didn't have voice control. I returned the TV, ( didn't like the picture) and bought a Sony TV. The Sony didn't have ROKU but I had a ROKU 4K stick that has the voice control remote. ROKU has an app that includes Xfinity. That is a good combination. So now the stock that I bought in the low 40s or mid 30s is $150.00 ish. The story is that ROKU is also going strong into their own content, especially content for kids. Dang, if I had known they were doing a deal with Xfinity and cutting costs on boxes I would have held it. It might be a good buy still though. Ace

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^ You may be very right on that ROKU. I'm a guy that still likes to buy movies due to the quality, but looks like that is a dying business (even Best Buy stop carrying CD's in the store and the volume of different movie titles seems much lower to me than a few years ago). I have replaced many movies from the different formats through the years (VHS > Lazer Disc > DVD > Blu Ray > 4K BR).. to the average viewer it makes no sense to have a "film" library and streaming is the answer.

I'm just curious if streaming will kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs, like streaming services have done to music (great for the end user paying a few bucks a month for access to a ginormous library, but really bad for content creators/artists that receive so little compensation for the efforts)???

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
^ You may be very right on that ROKU. I'm a guy that still likes to buy movies due to the quality, but looks like that is a dying business (even Best Buy stop carrying CD's in the store and the volume of different movie titles seems much lower to me than a few years ago). I have replaced many movies from the different formats through the years (VHS > Lazer Disc > DVD > Blu Ray > 4K BR).. to the average viewer it makes no sense to have a "film" library and streaming is the answer.

I'm just curious if streaming will kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs, like streaming services have done to music (great for the end user paying a few bucks a month for access to a ginormous library, but really bad for content creators/artists that receive so little compensation for the efforts)???
Even with a 65" 4K TV and home theater sound system, young kids still want to see the latest Disney movie on the really big screen. Maybe they just can't wait for it to be rented? Netflix alone is spending billions on content and look at HBO with "Game of Thrones." The list of recent fabulous cable series is long and growing. It seems to me that some of the winners will be the writers and creators and actors. I still can't stand all of the commercials on regular TV. We watch "Big Brother" and "The Bachelor" (Karen, not me) because you can record them and speed through the commercials. "Big Brother" has a new feature that allows you to hit the fast forward and it automatically stops after the commercials. If you have the show recored. I love that! Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I put 10K into ROKU today. I could not stand to see it keep going up so fast. I will probably get burned, but the story now is that they have come up with a really cheap sound bar. Schwab has it rated an F. LOL! I like that the company has a small float. 117 million shares. Ace

Last edited:

Latest posts