OT-The Stock Market

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I put 10K into ROKU today. I could not stand to see it keep going up so fast. I will probably get burned, but the story now is that they have come up with a really cheap sound bar. Schwab has it rated an F. LOL! I like that the company has a small float. 110 million shares, I think. Ace
I use Schwab as well and never look at the stocks they rate. Even though it's Schwab which is reputable, I like doing my own research and analysis. They are not always right and neither am I Lol!! But at least if I screw it up, I can only blame myself. I feel worse knowing that I listened to somebody else if it fails. They are pretty accurate in a sense though because that "F" that you saw doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad stock. It just means it's not a good buy "right now". So since you put in 10k, just hold it. Even if it has some volatility, it should be a good long term stock. Nothing wrong with using your own judgment as you did.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Equities are currently over-valued.
I got out of the market with the DJ at 26...................I put 80% of all funds in a fixed account.
It is paying 3.25%.
I made a boat-load of $$$ off the great recession but I'm getting too old to take those risks again.
Recession is coming...............it will hit on June 20, 2020 @ 10AM !

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got out of the market with the DJ at 26...................I put 80% of all funds in a fixed account.
It is paying 3.25%.
I made a boat-load of $$$ off the great recession but I'm getting too old to take those risks again.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of account do you have that's paying 3.25%?
Is it a savings, CD or another type of product? The highest I've seen is like 2.40% on a high yield CD. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places!

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is paying 3.25%.
The only thing that makes me think it's not coming...is that EVERYONE is saying it's coming. To me, that's a counter indicator in and of itself, and I think it may be being priced in at the moment.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I thought the recession hit at the end of January 2018. The Fed signaled more increases and stopped the bull. Practically 0 interest rates and a weak dollar gave us the bull. I also think that people feel good about the direction of things in general. Ace

EssKayKay

Reaction score
It is paying 3.25%.
Thanks Vintage - I'll put that date and time on my calendar. Just for the record, I'm basically in your camp - about 70% of my investments in a fixed asset account at 3.5%.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
This is the Charles Schwab Bussiness Description of ROKU
"Roku, Inc. operates television streaming platform. The Company connects users to streaming content, enables content publishers to build and monetize audiences and provides advertisers with capabilities to engage consumers. Its Roku platform allows users to personalize their content selection with cable television replacement offerings and other streaming services that suit their budget and needs. Ad-supported channels available on the Roku platform include CBS News, Crackle, The CW Television Network and Vice; subscription channels include HBO Now, Hulu and Netflix, as well as traditional pay TV replacement services like DirecTV Now, Sling TV and Sony PlayStation Vue; and transactional channels include Amazon Video, Google Play and Vudu. Its product categories include advertising, Roku TVs and Streaming Players."

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of account do you have that's paying 3.25%?
Is it a savings, CD or another type of product? The highest I've seen is like 2.40% on a high yield CD. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places!
IROD.......................
Check into Nationwide Fixed..................backed by insurance premiums.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
ROKU up $3.70 just today. I just sold my 65 shares because I am out of town next week. I hope it has a pull back from profit takers so I can buy it again. I made $348.80. It is down some since I sold it a few hours ago. Lucky timing. Ace

Last edited:

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Glad I sold ROKU. It's not acting good right now either. I was really interested in the IPO of The Smile Direct Club. It opened yesterday and is tanking. Seems IPOs are not doing well at this time. I think the ROKU sound system is too high priced. This market is making traders go crazy! Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
So now Comcast announced a "free" streaming package that is hurting Netflix and killing Roku. It's a jungle out there. Ace

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is paying 3.25%.
After the declines this week, I thought it a good time to bump........

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score

dsop

Reaction score
Consumer confidence? Hahahaha! What a joke! Look where that index was in 2007. Pretty much right where it is now.

Groov-E

Reaction score
Thank you, I'll check it out.
You guys got a link to those ?

Can not find
It is paying 3.25%.

You guys got a link to those fixed accounts at 3.25?

I cant seem to find anything in that field.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
The big winner of late is Microsoft. It seems a lot of companies are not going public but going private equity. Smile Direct got off to a bad start. Apple is somehow hanging tough in spite of slower I Phone sales. I pay a buck a month for their I Cloud storage and just bought an I Phone 8. My old 5 did me well. Ever think about the pickle GM and Ford would be in if SUVs and trucks didn't stay so popular? I have a 2000 Explorer and a 2019 Tahoe. Cramer has a new acronym for retail stocks. WATCH. Walmart, Amazon, Target, Costco and Home Depot. Personally I think that Walmart and Facebook need to stay away from sensitive issues. Enough said. Ace