OT:The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band?

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Anyone remember having the album "Hot Rocks"? It came with a brochure or what have you, "211 reasons why the Rolling Stones are the world's greatest rock and roll band"

That was 1971. I never saw a reason to argue with it!

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Rock n roll is an attitude articulated by defiant horny adolescents . Keith Richards is the world's oldest teenager.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
You misread my intent then. I never claimed young people were interested in them. I already know that the vast majority aren't. No news flash there. I'm disputing your claim that they won't be well remembered in the future. When my peers and I were young, we weren't interested in The Rat Pack, for example. But to claim they (Sinatra, Martin, Davis Jr, et al) won't be remembered long after we're gone is absurd.
Absurd! Interesting word.
Is it absurd to point out that neither Sinatra, Martin or Davis Jr. rank among Spotify’s Top 50 streamed artists?
Is it absurd to think they’ll be even more of a cultural footnote when our generation and the one before it are gone?
Is it absurd to wonder whether my original point is strengthened by the fact The Rolling Stones rank 27th among rock bands on Spotify — far behind The Beatles (11), Green Day and Queen (5).
Doesn’t it stand to reason the Stones will almost inevitably become less popular without young listeners?
Absurd!
Spotify is the most popular global audio streaming subscription service with 286m users,

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Absurd! Interesting word.
Is it absurd to point out that neither Sinatra, Martin or Davis Jr. rank among Spotify’s Top 50 streamed artists?
Is it absurd to think they’ll be even more of a cultural footnote when our generation and the one before it are gone?
Is it absurd to wonder whether my original point is strengthened by the fact The Rolling Stones rank 27th among rock bands on Spotify — far behind The Beatles (11), Green Day and Queen (5).
Doesn’t it stand to reason the Stones will almost inevitably become less popular without young listeners?
Absurd!
Spotify is the most popular global audio streaming subscription service with 286m users,
You're right. Spotify (and American Idol) will clearly be the determining factor on who will be remembered in the future. What was I thinking?

Or.... Spotify will fade into oblivion, while classic Rolling Stones tracks continue to sell and influence future musicians, along with the other bands mentioned in this thread. Your problem is that you continually rely on polls and Top 50 lists to make your point. Thread after thread. You do know that a poll is nothing more than a snapshot of a single point in time, yes? Rather like your random snapshot of a "typical" Stones audience. It means nothing in the long term.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s easy...
Pink Floyd for me!
Waters Gilmour Wright Mason...
Live at Pompeii, the wall, the dark side of the moon, animals, the division bell...God I am getting goosebumps...
Sorry no offense, and I know their style is not the same rock, but stones, cream, the who..none of those come close to Pink Floyd for me...

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is a never ending circle. Lots of "greatest rock & roll" bands out there. Everyone has their own opinion. Their are so many branches of rock that you can't just narrow it down to one band. I won't even dare to mention any because their will be an automatic rebuttal by someone.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It’s absurd to reject data on actual listenership and billions of streams because it doesn’t fit your uninformed opinion, Radui King. Absurd!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s absurd to reject data on actual listenership and billions of streams because it doesn’t fit your uninformed opinion, Irod. Absurd!
The title of the post was: "The world's greatest Rock & Roll band?" The title wasn't: "What's the greatest rock & roll band based on data of what people listen to most?" My response was solely based on the OP's title. It wasn't even remotely based on anything related to what you have posted. I didn't read anything that you had posted on this thread. (The only thing I read was your response to my post) So I'm pretty confident that my opinion was not "uninformed" as you implied!

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Is Steely Dan a "rock and roll" band? That's my pick for numero uno!
No, Steely Dan is not a @
The title of the post was: "The world's greatest Rock & Roll band?" The title wasn't: "What's the greatest rock & roll band based on data of what people listen to most?" My response was solely based on the OP's title. It wasn't even remotely based on anything related to what you have posted. I didn't read anything that you had posted on this thread. (The only thing I read was your response to my post) So I'm pretty confident that my opinion was not "uninformed" as you implied!
It was not. Tagged the wrong guy. Sorry.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd throw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in the mix along with GNR (they could of been better if they had tried)

adding another vote for:
Zep
Stones
Beatles

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Rolling Stones? They can lay claim to it, for being the only band still going. HOWEVER, they're a shadow of their former selves without Bill Wyman and are getting long in the tooth!

Cream were awesome. Forerunners! I would put them in the Blues/Jam/Jazz/rock category. They were amazing.

The Beatles? They were the best BAND in the 20th century. For various reasons, musically, number of records during their period active, etc. So much of what we have is because of them blazing the trail.

But I have to give best Rock and Roll band to Led Zeppelin. Page and Jones played as session musicians on many hits, Page hand-picked the band and they blew the competition out of the water during their reign, and it was RockNRoll. I give it to Zep!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rolling Stones? They can lay claim to it, for being the only band still going. HOWEVER, they're a shadow of their former selves without Bill Wyman and are getting long in the tooth!

Cream were awesome. Forerunners! I would put them in the Blues/Jam/Jazz/rock category. They were amazing.

The Beatles? They were the best BAND in the 20th century. For various reasons, musically, number of records during their period active, etc. So much of what we have is because of them blazing the trail.

But I have to give best Rock and Roll band to Led Zeppelin. Page and Jones played as session musicians on many hits, Page hand-picked the band and they blew the competition out of the water during their reign, and it was RockNRoll. I give it to Zep!
I can't argue with that , BUT The Stones ain’t the only ones still going. I posted those bands awhile back

Latest posts