OT:The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band?

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a wonderfully epic question.

I’m going to have to go with The Partridge Family because I do need to express my First Amendment rights.

And there’s Laurie Partridge.

The Captain And Tenille a close second. That’s some rare uncredited studio work by Bonham on Love Will Keep Us Together.

But seriously just trying to distract ya’ll so nobody says “The Grateful Dead.”

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
The best rock and roll band is the one you like the best at any given time.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is a wonderfully epic question.

I’m going to have to go with The Partridge Family because I do need to express my First Amendment rights.

And there’s Laurie Partridge.

The Captain And Tenille a close second. That’s some rare uncredited studio work by Bonham on Love Will Keep Us Together.

But seriously just trying to distract ya’ll so nobody says “The Grateful Dead.”
I don't believe the Grateful Dead are the best Rock and Roll band, merely the best band, period. There ya go. I said it. I own it. the best RandR band has to be the Stones.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
My opinion is The Beatles due to the sheer number of great songs and their longevity despite being apart as a group for 50 years this year

Drm1979

Reaction score
This is a very subjective thread. Considering the different generations of drummers on here and fans of different genres of rock n roll that exist it would be very hard to pick just one greatest of all time. I'm 40 years old and love rock from the 60s all the way through today. And what's funny to me is that sometimes I'm considered narrow minded because I only like rock n roll but there are so many choices of rock to be a fan of. That being said here are some (not all) of my personal favorites.

The Beatles
Aerosmith
Ccr
ZZ top
Ac/dc
Bad company
Black sabbath
Clutch
The eagles
Foo fighters
Gnr
Iron maiden
Led zeppelin
Kadavar
Megadeth
Metallica
Pantera
Rolling stones
Rush
Red hot chili peppers
Steppenwolf
Stone sour
Slipknot
Thin lizzy
Tom petty

All these bands are on my ipod and I listen to them all at one point or another depending on my mood. And i think each one qualifies as a greatest rock band for one reason or another.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I think that the point is The Rolling Stones were advertised as "The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band". I think they'll be remembered for a little while. (Yeah Vista, that's aimed at you.)
But, only one band was billed as "The Only Band That Matters" - The Clash.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everyone ahead of me in this thread is wrong. The GOAT rock and roll band is The Clash. I suspect everyone after this post will be wrong too.

Mayan

Reaction score
Well I certainly loved the Allman Brothers Band enough to see them 35 times, give or take a couple. And if you ever saw them at the Beacon in March (yearly residency in Manhattan from the 90’s until 2014), you might argue they are the greatest. More of a guitar player’s band than a drummer’s band, no question, but even the last incarnation without Dickey Betts, with Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, and Oteil Burbridge up front, night after night those guys were on fire.

Oteil is my favorite bass player, for sure. Here he is jamming with Purdie, I found this the other day.