OT - The ZOOM Q2HD - audio/video sync issues

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm trying to get proficient at using my Q2 to make cymbal demos but it seems no matter what I do I get an audio/video sync issue. Anyone else used this and had the same problem? This appears to happen right at the device, and not during the upload to Youtube. I spoke with someone at ZOOM customer service today and he gave me a few pointers, but even with his input it doesn't seem to be just right.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Are you editing the video or uploading raw from the device?

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
YouTube is notorious for out of synch audio, but I don't know why some are good and others are not. What format are you using? There are some FAQs on YT that talk about the synching issues. Maybe if you convert your files to one of their preferred formats...

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been trying to follow that too. It's a mess. Guess I'll just be happy with whatever I get.

Henrik Simonsen

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm having a sync problem too, with my ZOOM Q2. It's not always and it's not much but it's there and it happens when the video is played back on my Mac Book Pro.
Anybody know why?

Henrik

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Henrik,

After shooting many demo videos of drum gear with my Q2 I came to the conclusion that the audio lag was present 100% of the time. I use a video editing suite to correct the time lag and line up the sound with the video. It's actually not hard to do with the right software. I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum.

Best of luck,

Jeff

Henrik Simonsen

Reaction score
Hi Jeff
Thanks for the answer.
Do you know anything about the newer model, Q4, if is has the same problem?
I use Mac, do you know if maybe one of their applications can do the same as the Sony?

Regards from

Henrik

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I must confess that I'm a PC user and don't know much about Macs. However I'm sure there are plenty of options as Macs are widely known as powerful multimedia workstations.

Essentially all you need to do is open up the movie file, "unlock" the audio portion from the video portion, and move the audio by a frame or two until it is in sync with the video. I use the clicking of two drumsticks as a visual marker to help me line it up. You could do the same thing by just clapping your hands in front of the lens.

I haven't used the Q4. I've been thinking of picking one up to check it out though. The other one that's been on my radar is the Sony HDR-MV1; it's supposed to do a great job in low light environments.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Henrik Simonsen

Reaction score
He he, I'm quite disappointed with this product, it should just be working! I will not spend time making audio and video get into sync:).
So I must find another recorder. The Sony you mention, the display is on the left side, I'll never get use to that. So maybe I'll take a look at the Q4 and return it if it has the same problem.
I read some user-reviews of the Q2, they are not so positive all of them. One of them mentions that the recorder cuts up large files when you record and that has been annoying me too:-(.

But thanks for the help!

Regards

Henrik