OT-thinking of going to Vegas in January/see what?

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my daughters is trying to get out there for a Quiditch tournement.

Never been to Vegas and thinking I'd like to see the town and her play.

Not into gambling (I went to Tahoe in my 20s...played a lot of nickel slots because it was a time consuming way to lose not a lot of money)....

A bike tour might be of interest...see the lights...maybe a show...

Of course w/Covid who knows.... but... you guys get around and I thought I'd ask...

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I visited the Hoover Dam when I was there a few years back - If you like Roller Coasters, there's one on the strip in "New York" that's pretty awesome.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoover Dam is a short drive out of town.
Lake Mead Recreation area is just upstream.
So is the Grand Canyon.

Area 51 overlook is close, but you might get abducted.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be there 14th-21st ……
I go every year for work . There’s a cool section of town by Fremont that has a lot of antique/ specialty shops ……

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I lived there for a couple years. You’d be remiss not to try either Pizzeria Monzu or Nora’s.

Nora’s had live jazz every Friday. Also the best old fashioned in town.

If you want more local recs, send me a message.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pizza at The Grotto at Golden Nugget is my favorite pizza ever …

Nubs

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand David Lee Roth is packing it up soon and will quit performing altogether. He has a few remaining shows lined up for that timeframe...might be worthwhile to check him out while you still can.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We live nearby and spend weekends there 6 or 8 times a year.

We stay in Boulder City, Dam Lodge. Old but clean and comfortable. (Do NOT stay at the Railroad Pass - messhole). Boulder City is a small quaint town with decent restaurants, a closer-to-home change from the strip and Freemont which we've been there, done that and bought those t-shirts and they're both meh now.

Call ahead and make sure things are open and the times.

Hoover Dam is a must see IMO, Red Rock is great for hiking but it's a bit of a drive from the strip. The only time we go into Vegas anymore is for shows, Cirque shows are FANTASTIC. Stunning, up close and personal, breathtaking.

If you're staying on the strip check around for rates, lately they've been rock bottom pricing. My wife just a couple weeks ago stayed at the Excalibur for $25 a night (plus that entertainment fee they tack on that more than doubles that) when flying east to pick up our granddaughter who stayed with us for a few days.

The Hoover Dam Lodge down by the dam is a good place also. They have gaming and a few restaurants, pool, etc. There's a trail that you can access from the lodge that goes around Lake Meade through old railroad tunnels they carved out when they built the dam. It's a nice hike and you can bike it and it's free, just go down and do your thing. Right behind the lodge.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I understand David Lee Roth is packing it up soon and will quit performing altogether. He has a few remaining shows lined up for that timeframe...might be worthwhile to check him out while you still can.

I have been a die hard VH fan for years and saw everyone going back to 1986. (was 13 when 1984 tour came around and had no way to go). I have seen VH with Sammy, Gary, Dave (2007-2012), Dave solo, Sammy solo, Sam and Dave tour, etc...

Sadly Dave has pretty much sounded like crap since 2012. It wasn't perfect in 2007 either but by 2012 it got pretty bad in spots. 2015-present has been awful and I hate saying that as I love Dave's voice. That being said, I would still love to see him do a final show. I think the tickets are crazy expensive though.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Went last year and stayed at NY, NY (with the roller coaster going by our room).
Rented a car and went to:
Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire and Hoover dam, all easy drives.

Grand Canyon and Death Valley will be the next trip.

What is quidditch?

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is quidditch?
57d2c4348f89f51c008b4576

I didn't know there was a real-life Muggle version, but I'm not at all surprised to find that out.

2019-11-7-quidditch-actions-1000x560.jpg