OT....Tom Brady is no longer a New England Patriot

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
It sounds like he is walking away from football......I would be surprised if he went to another team.....that's just wrong. 20 amazing years with the Pats - perfect curtain call......

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sadly, most iconic athletes tend to hold on too long past their prime. As a kid it was hard to see Willie Mays play his final year with the New York Mets, Joe Namath end his career with the Rams, and Johnny Unitis finish up with the Chargers. Only a few, like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders, go out while they're on top. I think Brady should've retired a year ago after his last Super Bowl championship. He certainly doesn't appear to need the money. I do, however, appreciate his love of the game and desire to play.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s gotta suck to still want to play , and I
Kinda hope to see him make another SuperBowl .
Just think how cool it would be to see a
MaHomes / Brady shootout !!!!

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok my prediction....Tom Brady plays for Tampa, BB coaches for New England.
BB is better at what he does than Tom is....Tampa bay is mediocre, New England
makes the play offs.....and the Ravens win it all.

jsp210

Reaction score
And he’s a Buccaneer !!!
He's going from arguably the most passionate sports market to one of the least. Lots of sunshine though.

I wish him the best but I predict mediocrity until he decides to call it quits. He is a fierce competitor and will give his all to his new team but I watched him closely last season and think there is little left in the tank. TB in TB, strange times indeed.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more peeved I get, it clearly has come down to money and some sort of control, control what ?.....coach is the LAW, not the players, that leads to chaos.

Tom Brady has had the LUXURY of playing on good to great teams his whole career and what will go down as the best head coach and strong coaching staff. That has now ENDED...it is all brand new and clearly on a team not as good, they went 7-9 last season. I stand by my opinion he will regret this and will end his career
on a down note.

Also by Tom Bradys' own admission...he loves playing in the cold and did quite well in the cold.
I think the heat will take him down as well as some very hungry Linebackers, Tackles and defensive ends.
They are going to be out to get him.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Brady will be ok. Tampa Bay is a nicer climate for him. Look at it like a paid retirement village getaway.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
Sadly, most iconic athletes tend to hold on too long past their prime. As a kid it was hard to see Willie Mays play his final year with the New York Mets, Joe Namath end his career with the Rams, and Johnny Unitis finish up with the Chargers. Only a few, like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders, go out while they're on top. I think Brady should've retired a year ago after his last Super Bowl championship. He certainly doesn't appear to need the money. I do, however, appreciate his love of the game and desire to play.
Can you say Brett Favre - I retire - I don't retire - I retire - I don't retire. . . .

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more peeved I get, it clearly has come down to money and some sort of control, control what ?.....coach is the LAW, not the players, that leads to chaos.

Tom Brady has had the LUXURY of playing on good to great teams his whole career and what will go down as the best head coach and strong coaching staff. That has now ENDED...it is all brand new and clearly on a team not as good, they went 7-9 last season. I stand by my opinion he will regret this and will end his career
on a down note.

Also by Tom Bradys' own admission...he loves playing in the cold and did quite well in the cold.
I think the heat will take him down as well as some very hungry Linebackers, Tackles and defensive ends.
They are going to be out to get him.
This is what I’m talking about, that is the switch right there whereas Brady goes from being local hero to a greedy traitor who stayed on too long.

Last edited:

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
This is what I’m talking about, that is the switch right there whereas Brady goes from being local hero to a greedy traitor who stayed on too long.
Yep, I am calling him Tom the traitor.

jsp210

Reaction score
Yep, I am calling him Tom the traitor.
Well if your coach, who is also the GM, makes a low-ball offer and pretty much signals that he isn't interested in continuing with you as the QB but you still want to play as a starter in the league, does that make you a traitor?

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ya' never know -- After leaving Green Bay, Farve took the Vikings all the way to the NFC championship game and lost a close one in OT to New Orleans. After leaving SF, Joe Montana took the Chiefs all the way to the AFC Championship where they lost to Buffalo. The AFC South is not exactly a tough division -- Carolina in transition, Atlanta is hot & cold, and while New Orleans is good they are also starting a 40+ year old QB coming off injury.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Well if your coach, who is also the GM, makes a low-ball offer and pretty much signals that he isn't interested in continuing with you as the QB but you still want to play as a starter in the league, does that make you a traitor?
Hey I am just ranting, I am a very frustrated Pats fan. I certainly dont know the ins and outs of the negotiations, but whatever Tom wanted....they werent going to do. It is just sad that the 2 sides couldnt work it out so he and the Pats would go down in history as probably the only player/coach/team to be together since day one of his career. I still say he wont do that well in Tampa, he didnt do nearly as well, especially last season.....and he was on a strong team, best defense since he has been there.

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
Mr. Brady has something to prove.....that won't bode well for the Bucs opponents. They got a good young defense and people who can catch the ball. The Patriots offered him a slap in the face contract. I'm glad he's getting out of there. You would think they would have given him a multi-year contract after the Atlanta Superbowl. Nope, Year to year and less money each year. This after he gave them 6 Super bowls and routinely left money on the table to support the team. FWIW, Brady was a top 5 rated QB last year. Hard to perform when your getting killed behind a lousey O-line, Rookie receivers who couldn't run a route, a beat up Edleman and no tight end. I'm a Pats fan but I want to see Brady do well. I won't bet against him. There's been a lot of tears shed on that bet over the years.

jsp210

Reaction score
Hey I am just ranting, I am a very frustrated Pats fan. I certainly dont know the ins and outs of the negotiations, but whatever Tom wanted....they werent going to do. It is just sad that the 2 sides couldnt work it out so he and the Pats would go down in history as probably the only player/coach/team to be together since day one of his career. I still say he wont do that well in Tampa, he didnt do nearly as well, especially last season.....and he was on a strong team, best defense since he has been there.
I like a happy ending too but I could see this day coming. Agreed about the prognosis in Tampa as well as the comments about last years team. It seemed like many talented receivers that came through the doors had trouble "connecting" on the field with Brady over the years and I always thought that was problematic. Will be interesting to see which direction they go at the QB position. Shame they let both Garoppolo and Brissett go, that was good drafting, hopefully they get someone who is also a threat to run with the ball. Seems like that is the future prototype for the position.