OT....Tom Brady is no longer a New England Patriot

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Brady is one of the greatest of all time, without question. He took team friendly deals for years. Reporting I've read makes it sound like Pats weren't willing to come close to what Brady thought he deserved.

He's made obscene money by just about anyone's standards, but if he wants to collect the monster paydays he's been passing up for more than a decade, good on him.

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I begrudge nobody the opportunity to get paid for doing something they love for as long as they can. Brady wants to play till he is 45, and if a team will pay him to do so, good for him. We will miss him in NE, but I don't fault him one bit. I hope he is reinvigorated and makes the most of the offensive weapons in TB.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I just checked the Patriots 2020 schedule, it is BRUTAL. They play the NFC west this yr.
So they have the Seahawks, 49niners, Rams, Cardinals (hope they win that one)
also on the docket are the Chiefs, Ravens, Denver.

The Bucs schedule is tough but not as tough.

Glad I am also a big Cowboys fan....go Cowboys !

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I recently read online the observation by sportswriters that basically said the market for top dollar aging QBs was quite small, including the New England Patriots. Here is a sobering stat on the Bucs.

Seriously. The Buccaneers are the losingest franchise in American major league sports. They have a lower lifetime winning percentage (.387) than any team in the NFL, NBA, NHL, or Major League Baseball. They define "losing culture.''

Why would a Super Bowl Champion want to go there ??? its all about the big mamu.
Nothing wrong with that, but any other observation won't do.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I thought it was accepted that the Patty Cakes offered him to SF instead of the male model QB in '17 and that didn't sit well with Tommy. And now Tommy wants to show the world how good he is by turning a dumpster fire franchise into a contender cuz he don't need no stinking coaches.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What is it with this huge subset of Boston sports fans who cry "traitor" any time one of their heroes leaves via free agency? Seriously, when Brady was in Boston he was a saint, a hero, a God. Now he's leaving and he's a greedy, pretty-boy traitor.

Be grateful. He gave you the twenty greatest years of football your team will ever know. Be big people and say "thank you."

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What is it with this huge subset of Boston sports fans who cry "traitor" any time one of their heroes leaves via free agency? Seriously, when Brady was in Boston he was a saint, a hero, a God. Now he's leaving and he's a greedy, pretty-boy traitor.

Be grateful. He gave you the twenty greatest years of football your team will ever know. Be big people and say "thank you."
I'm a lifelong Boston Sports Fan and I couldn't agree with you more. Fans forget that unfortunately it is a business as well. Boston teams have traded away (or let walk away) HUGE ICONS from every era when they became too expensive, or worn out. Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Sam Cunningham, Roger Clemmens Nomar, Johnny Damon, Manny Ramirez, Mookie Betts and David Price etc etc etc... We have had the greatest 20 years in Boston Sports history and we got to witness all of it ....be grateful not arrogant. Like they say " Act like you've been here before "

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey I admit, at 1st I was miffed. The sad part is all along the 2 sides came to terms....for 20 yrs.
And now they cant ? clearly Bob Kraft decided what Tom wanted was too much, Tom felt differently and found what looks like 1 team and 1 team only to pay him, and that team has biggest losing percentage in all of sports, and went 7-9 last yr.

The Patriots and Tom Brady had a once in a lifetime chance to do something that no other player in any sport
probably would ever do......and that is gone...Forever.....I think both sides will regret their decisions.

So all I am saying is this isn't about playing for the "love of the game" of the fans or the team.
This about playing "for the love of the money"
Again, nothing wrong with that, but that is what it is.......the big mamu.

jsp210

Reaction score
I think the actual money for playing football is probably only a tiny factor in all this.

Belichick didn't want to move forward with Brady at QB anymore at this stage of his career and Tom knew it. The token offer given to keep him was the tangible way to make this separation happen. I wish he would have retired but....

His TB12 brand of health and fitness gear and methodology depends on perpetuating the "ageless wonder" narrative and he is dead set on being the 45 year old QB who was able to extend his career thanks to the proprietary system now offered to the general public through TB12.

His wife has earned millions herself as a top model and probably will appreciate the FL beaches and sunshine. Tampa is a bad sports market and another super bowl ring isn't likely but this move gives him the remote chance to lead a historically miserable franchise to new heights and fill the stadium seats while enjoying new surroundings.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the actual money for playing football is probably only a tiny factor in all this.

Belichick didn't want to move forward with Brady at QB anymore at this stage of his career and Tom knew it. The token offer given to keep him was the tangible way to make this separation happen. I wish he would have retired but....

His TB12 brand of health and fitness gear and methodology depends on perpetuating the "ageless wonder" narrative and he is dead set on being the 45 year old QB who was able to extend his career thanks to the proprietary system now offered to the general public through TB12.

His wife has earned millions herself as a top model and probably will appreciate the FL beaches and sunshine. Tampa is a bad sports market and another super bowl ring isn't likely but this move gives him the remote chance to lead a historically miserable franchise to new heights and fill the stadium seats while enjoying new surroundings.
While I agree with some of your observations, 50 million (guaranteed) isn't a tiny part of anything.
it is the driving force....we dont really know what went behind closed doors, but one thing is for sure, they couldn't agree to terms. And if the Pats didnt really want to go forward with him, then hats of to to him, he did great.

One thing is Tom, admittedly so, likes to play in the cold and does well in the snow.
Gets pretty hot in Tampa, no snow there last time I checked.

Here are the stats for Tom Brady playing in Miami.

W/L: 7-10
Cmp %: 62.1
Yds/Game: 257
TD: 33
INT: 15
Rating: 92.3

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a lifelong Boston Sports Fan and I couldn't agree with you more. Fans forget that unfortunately it is a business as well. Boston teams have traded away (or let walk away) HUGE ICONS from every era when they became too expensive, or worn out. Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Sam Cunningham, Roger Clemmens Nomar, Johnny Damon, Manny Ramirez, Mookie Betts and David Price etc etc etc... We have had the greatest 20 years in Boston Sports history and we got to witness all of it ....be grateful not arrogant. Like they say " Act like you've been here before "
You forgot the biggest icon of all in Babe Ruth so the owner could invest more into his true love in theater.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Rumor has it he is going to Tampa, but i dont see anything confirming this.
Brady will be 43 in August, he should retire. He will never have the rotation of the O-Line like Belichek gave him for protection anywhere again. If he wants to be around the game, he should get into QB coaching, not playing. All I see for Brady is injury at his age.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Brady will be 43 in August, he should retire. He will never have the rotation of the O-Line like Belichek gave him for protection anywhere again. If he wants to be around the game, he should get into QB coaching, not playing. All I see for Brady is injury at his age.
So its Ok to have loads of old drummers keep drumming in bands forever, but you can't be a QB and keep playing if you want and a team will have you.
Maybe he loves playing, maybe he likes the money, maybe he doesn't want to spend all winters with Giselle.
TB should do what he wants because he's earned it.

Last edited:

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey I admit, at 1st I was miffed. The sad part is all along the 2 sides came to terms....for 20 yrs.
And now they cant ? clearly Bob Kraft decided what Tom wanted was too much, Tom felt differently and found what looks like 1 team and 1 team only to pay him, and that team has biggest losing percentage in all of sports, and went 7-9 last yr.

The Patriots and Tom Brady had a once in a lifetime chance to do something that no other player in any sport
probably would ever do......and that is gone...Forever.....I think both sides will regret their decisions.

So all I am saying is this isn't about playing for the "love of the game" of the fans or the team.
This about playing "for the love of the money"
Again, nothing wrong with that, but that is what it is.......the big mamu.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I despise Tom Brady (Steelers fan), but honestly, if Tampa Bay had Brady last year they would have been a playoff team. Jameis Winston was solely responsible for at least 6 of their losses last year with his horrid decision making and ill-timed interceptions (30 picks in all). Even if he's not where he once was physically, Brady will protect the football and not force throws into triple coverage like Winston, who can now be officially be added to the long list of draft busts.

Latest posts