OT: Toner Cartridges, What a Racket

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Our relatively newer Cannon Pixma is thirsty again and the debate rages again; high yield, remanufactured, OEM....

Does anyone here at the forum feel good about any after-market sellers and likewise who to stay away from.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ... fiscally speaking, inkjet is really not a viable solution to color or b/w printing.
Determinate variables - quality, cost, deadlines, and quantity
Inkjet loses out on at least two of those variables.
There are much more practical printer solutions out there.

Last edited:

fibes3

Reaction score
Our relatively newer Cannon Pixma is thirsty again and the debate rages again; high yield, remanufactured, OEM....

Does anyone here at the forum feel good about any after-market sellers and likewise who to stay away from.
I have Cannon printer I got from Walmart for about $35 . I used to buy the OEM cartridges but went with a remanufactured brand on Ebay and they work well.
The unfortunate part is at the Walmart price of the Cannon printer, it would be easier to just buy the printer.
You could also buy ink refill kits. But keep in mind some manufacturers have a chip in the cartridge that won't allow the refilled cartridge to work: Lexmark and HP come to mind.

There's a relatively new ink jet printer from Epson called the "Eco tank" that has A LOT of ink. From what I read, about 2 years worth of ink. The one disadvantage is the initial price of the printer is expensive compared to most inkjet printers.

If you just need black and white printing, the cost per page is less with a laser printer.

Good luck.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I just replaced the ink in my Canon TR8520. I got it free from my uncle but I still didn't want to spend a bunch of money on ink, so I ordered this refill kit and it was super easy to just refill the cartridges that came with it. It was super simple: just pull the cartridge like you'd normally do for replacing, then slowly pour the new ink in the sponge at the bottom until it won't absorb any more. Make sure to do it over cardboard or an old towel because it'll spill some ink no matter how careful you are. The kit was about $25 and I barely used any, so I imagine it'll last me a few years. If this is the route you take, just double check that your printer can do this. Some have chips that won't allow aftermarket carts or refills, but I think Canon generally does allow it. Mine doesn't reset to show the ink level but it still works and I'd rather save the money than have that feature.

We were actually going to buy a Brother color laser before my uncle gave us this printer and we'll eventually get one when this printer takes a dirt nap. They have a higher upfront cost, but toner lasts forever and won't dry out like ink. The last laser printer we had was from the late 90's and I only refilled the toner once. Of course, that's dependent on usage.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're just doing black and white printing, a laser printer is 100% the way to go.

I've had a Brother laser printer for 5 years, working from home exclusively for 4 of those years and I've only needed to replace the toner cartridge twice.

Plus none of that "cleaning the head" nonsense that wastes a TON of ink (it's using fresh wet ink to spray off old dried-up ink)

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just take my printing to Office Max Or Staples. They print it for about 12 cents per page and I don't have to fix the printer.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT reply to the thread - razor blade replacement cartridges same thing.

varatrodder

Reaction score
If you're doing a lot of printing, it might be worth investing in a laster printer.

I'm a graphic designer, and I just use a B&W laser printer in my office to check sizing and general layout. If I need to check colors, I just send it to my printer for a proof.

Joe61

Reaction score

Racket is an understatement!
I have sent no fewer that 4 all in one ink jet printers to the land fill. The most recent just last Wednesday. HP x 3, and an Epson. I bought good models to thinking you get what you pay for. BS. No more. I bought a canon pixima tr4520 for $49.95 It uses copious amounts of ink but they all did. I have been buying re manufactured ink from a company called Doorstepink. Cost a little less than OEM. I have always had issues with OEM and refilled so it doesn't matter. Doorstepink has stood behind their products with quick replacements. They have a recycle program that will get you a discount also. Sending this latest printer to the dump some day will be alot easyer. Good luck.

Joe

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the Cannon Pixima MX922 and like above it uses a lot of ink but what get me is, if I only print B&W it still uses mixes in a color, I think mostly yellow. PLUS every time I reorder the price keeps going up.

With some printers with chips wont work even if you re-ink the cartage. Once you pull it out you can't put back in the printer.

sherm

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
OT reply to the thread - razor blade replacement cartridges same thing.
That's part of the reason I switched to safety razors. It was around $10 for 100 double edge blades and the razor itself was fairly inexpensive too. 1950 Gillette DE.

With ink jet printers they print machine identification code on every page, which are tiny yellow dots to identify that specific printer.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a 12 year old canon pixma 530. I have used aftermarket cheap ink cartridges since it was new. I get them from an ebay seller

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score

For awhile I was doing lots of ink jet printing - so invested in retrofitting a tank system to an Epson. Worked great - but somewhat fiddly.

Since then, and now I have a Canon (TS9020) - I use third party cartridges exclusively. With absolutely zero problems. I 've been buying these off Amazon - E-Z Ink

Anyway I've had zero problems with this ink - IMO most of the boogyman stories about 3rd party ink is just to scare folks into buying OEM ink at $$$ prices.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's part of the reason I switched to safety razors. It was around $10 for 100 double edge blades and the razor itself was fairly inexpensive too. 1950 Gillette
Grow a beard, it’s even cheaper, and darn, it looks so good! :-D

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Grow a beard, it’s even cheaper, and darn, it looks so good! :-D
I actually just trim it to 3mm with an electric trimmer every few weeks. I keep it a slightly scruffy look, not a full beard except on occasion. I only use the razor for my neck and tops of cheeks, so they last me at least a couple months. That 100 pack of blades should last me 20+ years.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had enough off brand refilled cartridges that end ruining pages with splotches. spatters, and streaks. I use them for my business and they've got to look professional and work right, so I just started buying the brand name ones. I believe my net cost is less to actually pay more for toner cartridges that work right when I need them to.

toddbishop

Reaction score
Get a Brother monochrome laser printer-- generic cartridges are ~$15, and you can print about a thousand pages with each one.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
If you're doing a lot of printing, it might be worth investing in a laster printer.

I'm a graphic designer, and I just use a B&W laser printer in my office to check sizing and general layout. If I need to check colors, I just send it to my printer for a proof.
Same here but I’m very retired. I learnt very early on that colour printing was a total waste. The colours were very variable and the prints faded fast as well. I have two cheap B/W lasers that are trouble free and print brilliantly. Our photo viewing happens on the TV or we get prints run off from photo outlets.