OT: Tool!

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll believe it when it's in my hands
OH god....another "I'll believe it when it's in my hands" comment.
I don't understand it when people say this.
They've posted photos and videos in the studio
They've posted pics of them at the mastering studio in New England
They played two brand new songs live and then posted the album release date on the stage screen, then on their website, Twitter, and FB pages.
How much more do you need

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 2 songs I heard sound like every other Tool song from the past. I was really hoping to hear something a bit different. 3 minutes of a slow guitar riff with tribal drum sounds, and the big build up. Same stuff different decade.

Old Dog

Reaction score
The 2 songs I heard sound like every other Tool song from the past. I was really hoping to hear something a bit different. 3 minutes of a slow guitar riff with tribal drum sounds, and the big build up. Same stuff different decade.
If it's a "bit different" than TOOL, than why not just listen to A Perfect Circle or Puscifier? TOOL is, TOOL. How many bands actually re-invent themselves after a long hiatus? If I listen to TOOL, I don't want to hear Pearl Jam, or Five Finger Death Punch. Their sound is distinctive.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it's a "bit different" than TOOL, than why not just listen to A Perfect Circle or Puscifier? TOOL is, TOOL. How many bands actually re-invent themselves after a long hiatus? If I listen to TOOL, I don't want to hear Pearl Jam, or Five Finger Death Punch. Their sound is distinctive.
Maybe some different riffs, different melodies, not wait 4-5 minutes for a song to actually develop. Nobody said change your distinct sound, just create something you havent already created. So basically what you're saying is, if you heard one Tool song, you've heard them all.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Disappointed to report that Tool had to cancel its gig at Epicenter Festival in Rockingham, NC, Saturday. A severe storm with 50-plus mile-an-hour winds damaged stages and more on Saturday afternoon after a weather evacuation. The Cult and Judas Priest also did not play.

Weather improved the next day and the Foo Fighters played an absolutely masterful 2.5-hour set.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

A Stick

Reaction score
I will be going to see them because Killing Joke is one of my favourite bands of all time. Big Paul Ferguson is one hell of a drummer.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So what are the feelings on the new album that came out today. I am not thrilled so far, but then I haven't listened to it that much. Seems like a lot of atmospheric stuff. Not enough in your face for me. Stuff like Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot, are what I was looking for. Nothing too ground breaking after 13 years.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will be going to see them because Killing Joke is one of my favourite bands of all time. Big Paul Ferguson is one hell of a drummer.
Killing Joke seem like a strange band to open for Tool.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So what are the feelings on the new album that came out today. I am not thrilled so far, but then I haven't listened to it that much. Seems like a lot of atmospheric stuff. Not enough in your face for me. Stuff like Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot, are what I was looking for. Nothing too ground breaking after 13 years.
I think it will grow on me as I listen more. At this point, I don't think it compares to Lateralus or Aenima as far as energy and strong melodies go. Danny is great on it, probably his best work.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Because my beloved son and daughter-in-law absolutely worship TOOL, I've tried my best to listen to them and understand. They're all great musicians, granted, but I just don't get it. After five minutes of TOOL, I just feel the need to tune out. To me, just incredibly boring songs.

But I'm thrilled that everybody else understands them and enjoys. God bless 'ya.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts