OT: Tool!

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Because my beloved son and daughter-in-law absolutely worship TOOL, I've tried my best to listen to them and understand. They're all great musicians, granted, but I just don't get it. After five minutes of TOOL, I just feel the need to tune out. To me, just incredibly boring songs.

But I'm thrilled that everybody else understands them and enjoys. God bless 'ya.

GeeDeeEmm
I wonder if you had not been, ahem, "inoculated" at young age with their earlier work like "Sober" (like I was) , if that would make it harder to like their later more droning and more "out there" material.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whew... I tried on this one... really I did. As stated above the percussion on Fear Inoculum is absolutely amazing, everything else though... I love Opiate, Undertow and Aenima after that though Tool has left me wanting more from them. I get it, there's a sound and a feel they are going for, I just need a little more movement in the music. On Fear Inoculum I kept waiting for the song to start then I realized the album was over. Also from a sound perspective the guitars were really thin sounding so even when the songs got moving it was just kind of anemic sounding. I'll probably listen to it again but thus far I'm pretty comfortable with my decision to check it out on spotify first.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Tickets for the tour go on sale Friday.

Dude, Danny Carey, Man, was on The Trapset podcast, Dude, with Joe Wong. Man, I love that podcast, Dude, and it was fun, Man, to hear Danny Carey, Dude, discussing, like, his whole career, Man, and, like, Dude, his favorite drummers, but his constant interjection of Dude, Man, into every sentence was a bit distracting.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like the new album, I've been able to go thru it a couple times and 7empest and Chocolate Chip Trip stand out.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I went to two stores today to buy the new Tool CD.

One was closed because of the holiday.

The other was sold out. They said they originally had 8 CD's this morning, and I got there around noon.
I went to three more store yesterday and all of 'em were sold out. I looked on Amazon and they were selling it for $179!!!

When will the madness end?

How did you guys get a copy?

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been streaming this on Amazon Prime. I like it. Danny's kick drum sounds really good to me. Maybe the songs don't demand as much attention as some of their previous tunes, but I'm liking that I can just put it on and listen in the background if I need to focus on other things at the time.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tickets for the tour go on sale Friday.

Dude, Danny Carey, Man, was on The Trapset podcast, Dude, with Joe Wong. Man, I love that podcast, Dude, and it was fun, Man, to hear Danny Carey, Dude, discussing, like, his whole career, Man, and, like, Dude, his favorite drummers, but his constant interjection of Dude, Man, into every sentence was a bit distracting.

Yeah, that was a rough interview to get through. I love Joe's interviews, but he really seemed like he had to pull Danny through that one. The only thing I got from it is that Danny likes Bill Bruford a lot.

eigentone

Reaction score
I think the new album is great. The recording quality is really good and it sounds excellent. It's mostly long (10+ minutes) songs, which is cool by me.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would place this 3rd behind Laterlaus and Aenima. I don't care too much for any Tool earlier than Aenima.
I can't comprehend what is going on if I were to replicate. Musically impressive. Albums that takes this long usually never lives up to expectations and in this case I feel is true. If I were going the rating route, I would say 7/10. This could very well change in time.
What could've made it live up to the potential (for me)?
- Dynamics and production. The Paiste on Aenima are so crisp and clear. The drums on Lateralus are so thick and warm. On this one, they just sound "good" but aren't as definitive.
- This album would've benefited from the whole band performing together-not Maynard singing over it from his vineyard.
- There are definitely recycled riffs, motifs. Not note for note, but manipulated just enough.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got my preorder cd package for about 35 bucks on amazon, now they are going for almost 200?!
Just secured tickets to see them live Oct. 29th at Tulsa BOK center.

I get that people are going to have their opinions especially with Tool, but who has put out a better rock album this year? Or the last 5-10?
Music is not a competition but seriously, who has put this much work into progressive rock music other than Tool, and don't say Dream Theater, they don't count.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the new Slipknot, Rammstein and Baroness albums.

Never got the Tool thing. It is impressive to charge $35 (or $80?) for a CD.

Oh, Listening to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's new Infest the Rat's Next now. It's great.

If we're reaching back to last year, I'd go with Mutoid Man, Power Trip and Alien Weaponry.

Enjoy the show!

Last edited:

Johnny K

Reaction score
I streamed it yesterday on Apple Music.
I just added it to my queue. But I dont want my first listen to be on my crap computer speakers. Tonight I will get stoned out of my head, cuddle with the wife and the dog and drift off to sleep as I listen thru my awesome KZT in-ears.

I will still buy a CD.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the new Slipknot, Rammstein and Baroness albums.
Oh, Listening to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's new Infest the Rat's Next now. It's great.
If we're reaching back to last year, I'd go with Mutoid Man, Power Trip and Alien Weaponry.

Enjoy the show!
Cool, I'll check out those bands.

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
I've been streaming this on Amazon Prime. I like it. Danny's kick drum sounds really good to me. Maybe the songs don't demand as much attention as some of their previous tunes, but I'm liking that I can just put it on and listen in the background if I need to focus on other things at the time.

I kinda feel the same. I've been listening to it in the background at work. I really enjoy the record but there's not one standout song to me.