OT: Tool!

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the new Slipknot, Rammstein and Baroness albums.

Never got the Tool thing. It is impressive to charge $35 (or $80?) for a CD.

Oh, Listening to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's new Infest the Rat's Next now. It's great.

If we're reaching back to last year, I'd go with Mutoid Man, Power Trip and Alien Weaponry.

Enjoy the show!

I really tried to get into Baroness but a lot of there stuff sound s the same to me. Nothing really grabs me and makes me want to put it on again and again.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
I think the new album is great. I like the long songs and even though some material feels like recycled riffs I think it’s moreso tool being tool. I don’t think they’re a band that is going to change their sound as much as they change the way they write songs. So it sounds like tool has always sounded but this time it’s a little bit softer with more of a focus on floating through a song than running full force. I thought 10000 days sounded like they were goin for cheesy radio rock but this album is more like they spent a ridiculous amount of time dialing in each note and making it sound as sweet as possible with even less attention to typical song writing structures than usual.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Bought it a couple nights ago. First time listening! Classic TOOL so far, I dig it. Missed them.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the new album is great. I like the long songs and even though some material feels like recycled riffs I think it’s moreso tool being tool. I don’t think they’re a band that is going to change their sound as much as they change the way they write songs. So it sounds like tool has always sounded but this time it’s a little bit softer with more of a focus on floating through a song than running full force. I thought 10000 days sounded like they were goin for cheesy radio rock but this album is more like they spent a ridiculous amount of time dialing in each note and making it sound as sweet as possible with even less attention to typical song writing structures than usual.
This is definitely an improvement over 10,000 Days.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is definitely an improvement over 10,000 Days.
Sorry but I strongly disagree. Three of Tools best songs come from 10,000 days. Vicarious, Jambi and The Pot. These three songs made me a Tool fan. I have yet to hear anything on the new album that will stand the test of time like these three songs.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
To each his own. I don’t like mushrooms but my daughter does and I’ve got 37 more years of eating over her. Who am I to say I disagree they aren’t good? As far as the new Tool songs, I really like 7empest a lot more than mushrooms.

A Stick

Reaction score
Because my beloved son and daughter-in-law absolutely worship TOOL, I've tried my best to listen to them and understand. They're all great musicians, granted, but I just don't get it. After five minutes of TOOL, I just feel the need to tune out. To me, just incredibly boring songs.

But I'm thrilled that everybody else understands them and enjoys. God bless 'ya.

GeeDeeEmm
I am in the same boat GeeDee. The bass player of my band is trying to convince me to go. I love Killing Joke but I don't want to spend $125.00 just to see the opening band in a hockey arena.

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Definitely a Tool fan. Listened to the album a couple times through, and I was somewhat disappointed. As mentioned above, I just felt like it was bar after bar of everyone playing together but nothing exciting happening.

Carey was great, but I just kept feeling this "the song isn't gelling" over and over. It's like they were trying too hard, or something. As if they were they were trying to make sure some of the songs are 10 minutes...

Johnny K

Reaction score
Alright...I'm gonna be that guy. Good album, but first impressions left me feeling this is a sequal to Lateralus. To be fair, I've only listened to the new one about 10 x so far. I havent listened to them back to back yet. And it's been a while since I have listened to Lateralus.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel like for most of the songs, some one skilled with a DAW and a lot of time (say 13 years) could have created them by copying and pasting from old albums.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To be completely honest I find myself listening to A Perfect Circle much more often than Tool. I have my 5 or 6 Tool favourites, and the rest seem like filler.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Tool put themselves in a tough position by waiting so long to release this music. If it had come out right after 10,000 Days, people probably wouldn't have thought twice about how similar it sounds to their earlier music. On the other hand, by waiting so long, they would have been blasted if they'd changed their formula and this music was different than their previous efforts.

No win situation.

Latest posts