OT: Updated Forum Look (Chat Box Removed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just logged on and noticed the change to the forum related to removing the Chat Box. I imagine it was because of the recent dust-up due to current events.
However, I'm glad for the change. I didn't care for the real estate that was consumed by the infrequently used add-on feature and like a return to the more classic look presented by vacating the "Chat" field.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only imagine why. I’m not going anywhere.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Harry Cangany of DFI, the forerunner of DFO, said this place was like his living room. Behave yourself as you would in his physical living room face-to face, and you were welcome to stay. Otherwise, you’re welcome to leave. The Mods shouldn’t have to be keyboard police.

If arguments get too heated on this forum, we’re likely to lose the good thing we’ve got. Grow up, leave politics and religion to other sites. And yes, the current demonstrations and protests are political, as are government responses to the pandemic. Take it elsewhere. IMHO as a longtime drum forum member...20 years, I think.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I’ve also been a member for about 20 years if you count DCI. The issue is we have some members who have behaved in a manner so wildly out of line I’d have thrown them out of my living room so hard they’d probably have cleared the sidewalk and landed in the street, and they haven’t been held to account. The bad members will never leave of their own volition. Far too many good contributors will.

The bad apples only spoil the bunch if you fail to act and don't throw them out.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been on here since I was in my teens. I'm 31 now.
This place has honestly, always been a super positive, civilized place with generous members and thoughtful regulars.

Other forums can be plain chaos sometimes and usually ends up shutting them down.

Let's all just take it down a notch so we can actually continue to use it.

Please!

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get it. This is a place for drums only (although there are countless O.T. topics that discuss more than drums). This is supposed to be a place where we turn a blind eye to the real issues plaguing the world, even if it was discussed on here due to a drummer making headlines saying deplorable proclamations. Talks of racism and bigotry, and pointing out how wrong it is, is better left off of this forum. Talk drums; ignore injustice. If you feel it, don't speak on it here, but take that elsewhere so everyone can safely discuss drums. If that makes you feel uncomfortable... leave. Leave those issues for people elsewhere to care and talk about so we can spend our time discussing real issues like the length of Ringo's tension rods on a recording session in 1971 or any of the other entertaining but trivial topics we cover on here because we like to talk drums. Talking about the real topics, as has happened in the last few days, can illuminate the true thoughts that some on this forum have on those issues, and that is better left out to avoid issues. Back to the drums.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it. This is a place for drums only (although there are countless O.T. topics that discuss more than drums). This is supposed to be a place where we turn a blind eye to the real issues plaguing the world, even if it was discussed on here due to a drummer making headlines saying deplorable proclamations. Talks of racism and bigotry, and pointing out how wrong it is, is better left off of this forum. Talk drums; ignore injustice. If you feel it, don't speak on it here, but take that elsewhere so everyone can safely discuss drums. If that makes you feel uncomfortable... leave. Leave those issues for people elsewhere to care and talk about so we can spend our time discussing real issues like the length of Ringo's tension rods on a recording session in 1971 or any of the other entertaining but trivial topics we cover on here because we like to talk drums. Talking about the real topics, as has happened in the last few days, can illuminate the true thoughts that some on this forum have on those issues, and that is better left out to avoid issues. Back to the drums.
Exactly. There are lots of forums to discuss those issues. Let’s keep this forum for drums and cymbals. If you want to bring up subjects that will lead to arguments, go somewhere else.

Last edited:

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you. Harry Cangany of DFI, the forerunner of DFO, said this place was like his living room. Behave yourself as you would in his physical living room face-to face, and you were welcome to stay. Otherwise, you’re welcome to leave. The Mods shouldn’t have to be keyboard police.

If arguments get too heated on this forum, we’re likely to lose the good thing we’ve got. Grow up, leave politics and religion to other sites. And yes, the current demonstrations and protests are political, as are government responses to the pandemic. Take it elsewhere. IMHO as a longtime drum forum member...20 years, I think.
Only been on this board for 15 years so I might be struggling to keep up but it sounds like your message, given the context that created this thread, is:

Don't confront racism in this venue because you might spill your earl grey. Is that about right?

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly. There are lots of forums to discuss those issues. Let’s keep this forum for drums and cymbals. If you want to bring up subjects that will lead to arguments, go somewhere else.
That's the issue though; Racism should not lead to arguments. There should be no argument that it is wrong, despicable and deplorable. An even bigger problem that racism and bigotry is debatable here. Translation: if you want people to agree that racism and bigotry is wrong, go somewhere else. We don't care about that here! Go away to get your equality and let us speak our cymbals and drums.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point is that there are many forums to discuss controversial issues like religion, politics, demonstrations, or racial issues that are available. Polite discussion seems to invariably lead to more heated debates, and often eventually leads to name-calling, anger, and hurt feelings. Some other drum forums have become seething pools of this. DFO has always been a well-moderated place to discuss drums and cymbals, disagree at times, but not a forum to avoid because of the back-and-forth insults and baiting. I imagine that’s why the forum owners and moderators set the rules the way that they have. I’d like to see it remain that way. That’s all. I’m not an Earl Grey type of guy...too flowery for my taste...I do, however, love a great cup of coffee.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I get where the Bosses are coming from but, being on DFO is like being in the band that kept playing while the Titanic was sinking. You hit a sour note and the conductor gives you the stink eye.

Dude, what is your once in a life time snare?

Oh, probably anything I can get at the FEMA Camp.

True, true that. What kind of snares do you think they’ll have at the FEMA Camp?

Probably Pearl.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, probably Pearl.......but, hey, that was a hell of a goal Bobby Orr made 50 years ago.

Yep, true that, true that.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My point is that there are many forums to discuss controversial issues like religion, politics, demonstrations, or racial issues that are available. Polite discussion seems to invariably lead to more heated debates, and often eventually leads to name-calling, anger, and hurt feelings. Some other drum forums have become seething pools of this. DFO has always been a well-moderated place to discuss drums and cymbals, disagree at times, but not a forum to avoid because of the back-and-forth insults and baiting. I imagine that’s why the forum owners and moderators set the rules the way that they have. I’d like to see it remain that way. That’s all. I’m not an Earl Grey type of guy...too flowery for my taste...I do, however, love a great cup of coffee.
I hear you, but I can't get on board with the idea of not confronting comments or posts that include implied or explicit racism, violence, or other globally destructive language.

It seems, however, we do agree that tea is for cowards that go to bed before 9. Beans over leaves forever.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
poverty doesn't know race. It's poverty it's not race. poverty can (or ideally not) come in any race.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking Malcolm X had it closest to Right.
Even well-off black people are looked at in the manner described by Hilary Jones. Having money doesn’t save people of color from racism and bigotry. For many, it just causes them to call us “uppity.” Poverty knows no race but racism knows every class level.
Bob Woodson touches on that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.