OT-USED CAR DEALERS

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my twins are now college graduates and one is car hunting...she might have found something on a used car dealers lot.

She can get an extended warranty (2yrs 50K miles) and if we can find a mechanic to look it over he/she is welcome to come to the dealer to do so.

(for the record I think its a 2011 Kia Soul w/70K miles, manual).

I only recently bought my first used car, but from a dealer my family has bought several cars from (I recently saw my model and year car w/2.5 time more miles selling for almost $6more because of the chip shortage).

So...tips, thoughts? thx

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck, I mean that sincerely.

The used car market is completely sideways right now to begin with and when it's not it can really be tricky finding something decent.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scotty Kilmer on utube helped me to decide on a 2016 Rav 4 that I bought June 27 2020 . I took my time , something there's been plenty of this past year . There's always an x factor when buying a vechicle , but certain brands have a better reputation for reliability and longevity ,superior to others .Even so, there are years to avoid in that category too, for example, problems with oil consumption and CVT problems . It's all out there on the internet , worth the time to research . Do as much homework as possible , which is what i think you're doing now . My Rav 4 is made in Cambridge Ontario . I drove a 2008 Honda Fit ( real hard ) for 12 years and as far as I know, it's still rolling down the road just fine for the fellow who presently owns it . Made in Japan - look for a "J " at the beginning of the VIN # for Hondas .

Last edited:

nitro bengal

Reaction score
We bought my 16 year old daughter a 2012 Kia Soul. Being a GM dealer technician for over 27 years, I was a little skeptical getting a Kia, but so far it has been a nice little car. The nice thing is that it has the 2.0 liter engine, so no timing belt to have to worry about changing.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
The car business is turned upside down, 60% LESS cars at auctions, prices sky high, cant last though.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
So my twins are now college graduates and one is car hunting...she might have found something on a used car dealers lot.

She can get an extended warranty (2yrs 50K miles) and if we can find a mechanic to look it over he/she is welcome to come to the dealer to do so.

(for the record I think its a 2011 Kia Soul w/70K miles, manual).

I only recently bought my first used car, but from a dealer my family has bought several cars from (I recently saw my model and year car w/2.5 time more miles selling for almost $6more because of the chip shortage).

So...tips, thoughts? thx
Daughter has a 2010 Soul she has been very happy with…if that’s any help.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, the tests are 1. Clean interior (messy people also skip basic maintenance), 2. Is the brake fluid newish (If you don’t care about brake fluid, you aren’t fastidious about oil changes). 3. Are there four matching, brand name tires on the car? (Mis-matched tires raise questions — was there a wreck? Hard driving?)

I’m not saying I’d buy any car that passed those tests, but I wouldn’t buy any car that didn’t have those three things in place.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nice thing is that it has the 2.0 liter engine, so no timing belt to have to worry about changing.
Curious what that meant. It's a Chain?. hmm
Or that the pistons are notched to not clash with the valves ; ?
Thxs

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is that extended warranty a KIA factory extended warranty or is it being furnished by the used car dealer? If it’s a true KIA factory extended warranty then it might be worth purchasing. I wouldn’t touch a used car dealer‘s supplied warranty. Those sometimes have a LOT of strings attached and various components/parts that aren’t covered, and you must use their service center, etc. Some of those are administered and handled by third party companies, and who knows what those companies are willing to do (or not do) for you.

So, I’d be very careful about the specific terms and scope of coverage of the extended warranty, take my sweet time at the dealership and read every word of it before buying it.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a used Kia Soul with a manual and it served me well for a few years with no issues. It was a base model that wasn't as comfy as a larger car.
If she's good with having a manual I'm that should be a bargaining tip as they're harder for the dealer to sell.

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is that extended warranty a KIA factory extended warranty or is it being furnished by the used car dealer? If it’s a true KIA factory extended warranty then it might be worth purchasing. I wouldn’t touch a used car dealer‘s supplied warranty. Those sometimes have a LOT of strings attached and various components/parts that aren’t covered, and you must use their service center, etc. Some of those are administered and handled by third party companies, and who knows what those companies are willing to do (or not do) for you.

So, I’d be very careful about the specific terms and scope of coverage of the extended warranty, take my sweet time at the dealership and read every word of it before buying it.
Absolutely

Those extended warranties not from the actual manufacturer are too put it bluntly Never pay any claim

I was the f and I guy for years at a local dealership

They are underwritten by the most obscure insurance companies imaginable

Your engine could blow up on the way off the lot and they’d claim you didn’t change the oil properly

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a brand new car. I'm 55.
If you are not a mechanic yourself, or at least mechanically knowledgeable, then have someone who is look at the vehicle too.
I had a very painful experience buying a used Ford from a major local dealer that was not a Ford dealer, and needing them to fix a heating problem right after I bought it.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely

Those extended warranties not from the actual manufacturer are too put it bluntly Never pay any claim

I was the f and I guy for years at a local dealership

They are underwritten by the most obscure insurance companies imaginable

Your engine could blow up on the way off the lot and they’d claim you didn’t change the oil properly
Careful here...there are actually a few GOOD 3rd party warranty companies out there. I was in F&I as well so I have seen the good and the bad. Don't assume that only the manufacturer extended service plans are the ones worth buying, or that the manufacturer will always pay every claim.

@Targalx brings up a question that really only has one answer @dtk, which is that this is going to be a 3rd party warranty because Kia only supplies warranties through Kia dealerships. Now, it's POSSIBLE that the finance department at your local Kia dealer will sell you a Kia warranty for the car if you're concerned, but it will be more expensive. My recommendation is that you THOROUGHLY vet the company that they are offering you a warranty through -- see what others are saying about how that company deals with claims. My favorite warranty company of all time when I sold used cars and did the F&I was ProGuard Warranty, based here in PA and they treated customers very well. Allstate Insurance also offers a good warranty plan.

My wife and I are buying a new car this week. We need a larger SUV because our kids are getting bigger and fighting over seats in our Toyota Highlander (3rd row is on the small side). We would normally shop for used, but right now you can buy a new one for less than used in a lot of cases if you catch it right. I used a connection I have at a local dealership and got a good deal. But I agree, now is a tough time to buy used as values are up across the board and there aren't enough cars. If you can afford to wait on buying a used car, you should -- although you're probably going to be waiting at least another year. If I needed basic transportation I would probably find a car on Facebook/CL and have it looked at by a trusted mechanic. Spend as little as you can now so that you can buy more car for your money when the values finally do come down. I am betting values will be more normal in two years when we will need a third car for our oldest kid to drive.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dealers have the upper hand now.

I'm looking at a new truck, used truck prices are close to new now.

I would invest in an OB2 scanner, plugs in under the dash to read engine codes. I bought a new model and it will read "potential" codes as well. Right around $100.00. Even if you are not mechanical you can look up a code on line and see what it means.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m doing the same Honda CRV for 11 years so I don’t know about the market at all. Curious, Why is the market demand so high? Did manufacturers cut production last year during the pandemic?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Dealers have the upper hand now.

I'm looking at a new truck, used truck prices are close to new now.
That's exactly why my family is buying new instead of used. Used versions of what we are buying are as much or more than new MSRP. Many dealers are asking 5-15K ABOVE sticker for the new ones.