OT-USED CAR DEALERS

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
CARMAX, I wouldn't even go anyplace to shop.
My family and extended family has had nothing less than exceptional experiences.
I’ve heard same regarding Carvana too, they even deliver the car to your home. Maybe this is something to look into.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chip shortage
There was a supply chain breakdown as well. I previously worked for a Ford dealer in the parts department and if just 1 truck was broke down or held up by weather it was chaos for a week. Most of these guys were shut down for months and now need to hire new drivers. I bet it’s a real mess!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only try to buy the best, very low mileage used cars from private parties, typically older people and seniors. They tend to take care of their cars. If there is no written fluids' maintenance history....be careful.
FWIW I'm not a believer in frequent brake fluid changes....or matching tires exactly. But I change motor oil, trans fluid, and coolant more often than the factory manual suggests. There is no "rule" here that voids an otherwise "good" car.

Go back older if you need to.......but with lower miles, driven by reliable and cautious drivers. I'd avoid ANY extended warranties. Instead of that buy a better documented car with lower miles.

Manual transmission Soul with 70K miles on that trans? I'd avoid that. At least know what it would cost you to redo the clutch, release-pilot-trans bearings. An automatic with those miles wouldn't bother me as much as long as the fluid was changed as required.
I prefer to stay in the 20K-50K mile range on used cars....preferably under 40K miles. Up to 12 yrs old. But my last car was 17 yrs old with 39K one owner miles.....and that couple was in their 90's when they sold.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
CARMAX, I wouldn't even go anyplace else to shop.
My family and extended family has had nothing less than exceptional experiences.
Sorry to have to disagree, but Carmax built a reputation on paying more for your car than anyplace else and now that’s no longer true. Their cars aren’t any better than what you find elsewhere and you can’t negotiate. They want top dollar for everything, no good deals to be had. I suppose if you just can’t stand the car buying process, their version of it could be less stressful, but that’s the only upside I see.

Last edited:

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We bought my 16 year old daughter a 2012 Kia Soul. Being a GM dealer technician for over 27 years, I was a little skeptical getting a Kia, but so far it has been a nice little car. The nice thing is that it has the 2.0 liter engine, so no timing belt to have to worry about changing.
I was a Service Director (Fixed Operations Manager) at a dealer in Columbus for over a decade. I went from a Mercedes E-Class, to a low mileage 2011 Kia Optima, in 2012. That car has exceeded every expectation I have had. Now it's at 162000 miles and going strong. Bought the wife one the same year. Hers has been just as good.

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Careful here...there are actually a few GOOD 3rd party warranty companies out there. I was in F&I as well so I have seen the good and the bad. Don't assume that only the manufacturer extended service plans are the ones worth buying, or that the manufacturer will always pay every claim.

@Targalx brings up a question that really only has one answer @dtk, which is that this is going to be a 3rd party warranty because Kia only supplies warranties through Kia dealerships. Now, it's POSSIBLE that the finance department at your local Kia dealer will sell you a Kia warranty for the car if you're concerned, but it will be more expensive. My recommendation is that you THOROUGHLY vet the company that they are offering you a warranty through -- see what others are saying about how that company deals with claims. My favorite warranty company of all time when I sold used cars and did the F&I was ProGuard Warranty, based here in PA and they treated customers very well. Allstate Insurance also offers a good warranty plan.

My wife and I are buying a new car this week. We need a larger SUV because our kids are getting bigger and fighting over seats in our Toyota Highlander (3rd row is on the small side). We would normally shop for used, but right now you can buy a new one for less than used in a lot of cases if you catch it right. I used a connection I have at a local dealership and got a good deal. But I agree, now is a tough time to buy used as values are up across the board and there aren't enough cars. If you can afford to wait on buying a used car, you should -- although you're probably going to be waiting at least another year. If I needed basic transportation I would probably find a car on Facebook/CL and have it looked at by a trusted mechanic. Spend as little as you can now so that you can buy more car for your money when the values finally do come down. I am betting values will be more normal in two years when we will need a third car for our oldest kid to drive.

Excellent Advice!!!

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, hail totaled my wife's car and now we have to buy in this, the worst time in all of history to buy. I hate buying new, but we might as well since the used models we looked at weren't even 10% less than new! And bump to JDA's chip shortage comment. That's the real reason. Cars aren't machines anymore--they're computers on wheels. Yuck.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m doing the same Honda CRV for 11 years so I don’t know about the market at all. Curious, Why is the market demand so high? Did manufacturers cut production last year during the pandemic?
Factories were closed because of the lockdown.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know several happy Soul owners.

We are a Honda family. Bought our third Fit last year in April. Dealers had just opened back up and we got $1,000 off, which is unheard of with Honda. Love it. Too bad they are discontinued. :(

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only buy used cars now. That's because I found a guy who is passionate about going to the vehicle auctions and has an uncanny sixth sense about cars. And can fix anything.
I like buying cars from repair shops that sell a few cars on the side instead of used car dealers. It's like buying pizza from an Italian bakery instead of a pizza shop.
The repair shops are more selective in what they buy and sell.
Buy a car that's well engineered. It has more built in resistance to help overcome the inevitable issues that arise.
Mileage doesn't mean what it used to. I look at cars that have close to or over 100,000 miles on them. Before, I would not have.
Age matters more than mileage. I have some cars that are almost 20 years old. Once you encounter frame rot and corroded fuel tanks you're fighting a losing battle.
Here's the current problem - as with real estate and various consumer items, people are wildly overpaying for used cars at the moment, and the supply is limited.
I have passed on buying a couple of vehicles because they were simply overvalued. I'm just not going to overpay. I'll walk or ride a bike first.
That's just my personal version of purchasing discipline.
But if you think cars are overvalued, just go onto Reverb and see what people are paying for certain musical instruments. The jump in pricing is nuts.
I followed an online musical instrument auction that closed yesterday and almost everything went for over estimate. I don't think the bidders were doing the math on the buyer's premium.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm sure certain repair shops "are more selective in what they buy and sell," but aren't they also stuck with hopeless cases that owners leave at the shop -- repair bill unpaid -- until the courts award the car to the shop in lieu of the unpaid bill?

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm sure certain repair shops "are more selective in what they buy and sell," but aren't they also stuck with hopeless cases that owners leave at the shop -- repair bill unpaid -- until the courts award the car to the shop in lieu of the unpaid bill?
Thats pretty rare, but can happen, a friend of mine owned a body shop and also sold cars, a customer refused to pay the body shop bill on a honda worth at least 5k, the customer thought the shop couldn't do anything and would back down....el wrongo, my friend filed for what is called a sheriffs title, followed the steps and sold the car.....for more than what the bill was.

dsteinschneider

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't looked at car market since Covid started but before then I like buying off lease cars. The ones with the highest mileage such as around 45k are substantially discounted and can still have the "certified pre-owned" status that transfers manufacturer drivetrain warranty. We drive our cars up to 300k with no major mechanical issues. Our family vehicles (Audi and VW's) are 2001, 2003, 2007 and 2009. We do live with stupid things wrong like the 2007 tire pressure monitor system that suddenly alarms even though the tires are new and at the correct pressure. The 2001 VW has a battery drain issue that's no problem except if the car sits idle for a week. I could probably sort that out but instead bought a Noco GB40 lithium jump starter.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Haven't looked at car market since Covid started but before then I like buying off lease cars. The ones with the highest mileage such as around 45k are substantially discounted and can still have the "certified pre-owned" status that transfers manufacturer drivetrain warranty. We drive our cars up to 300k with no major mechanical issues. Our family vehicles (Audi and VW's) are 2001, 2003, 2007 and 2009. We do live with stupid things wrong like the 2007 tire pressure monitor system that suddenly alarms even though the tires are new and at the correct pressure. The 2001 VW has a battery drain issue that's no problem except if the car sits idle for a week. I could probably sort that out but instead bought a Noco GB40 lithium jump starter.
Consider a battery tender/maintainer. A deltran costs $25 at Walmart/Amazon.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a brand new car. I'm 55.
If you are not a mechanic yourself, or at least mechanically knowledgeable, then have someone who is look at the vehicle too.
I had a very painful experience buying a used Ford from a major local dealer that was not a Ford dealer, and needing them to fix a heating problem right after I bought it.
I have never owned a brand new car. I'm 55.
If you are not a mechanic yourself, or at least mechanically knowledgeable, then have someone who is look at the vehicle too.
I had a very painful experience buying a used Ford from a major local dealer that was not a Ford dealer, and needing them to fix a heating problem right after I bought it.
A former neighbor had a similar problem with the dealer who sold him a truck. He finally got fed up, and when he went on vacation with his family he established a great alibi that couldn't be refuted. Guess he paid someone to 'steal' his truck and use it to demolish over a dozen of the dealer's most expensive cars and leaving the truck there. He got the 'stolen' truck's insurance and put it towards a down payment on a new Kia from the dealer across the street. That neighbor was a former cop.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny...my Ford Fusion has a tire pressure monitor that the light goes off and my wife's Mercedes has a battery drain issue.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I have seen a lot with small used vehicle dealers near me is new tires on their cars, but the cheapest they can get.
I guess that might be better than half worn tires, but too may used trucks I see have new LingLong tires.
I had to google it because I had never heard of them.