OT - Vintage Bike Prices

blikum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in pretty deep with the vintage bmx stuff, luckily I got in early before all the lunacy prices. I had 3 fully dressed Cook Bros. bikes, 20", 24" & 26". I sold them for top dollar at the time about 5 or 6 years ago when I thought the market had topped out, but it still keeps on getting crazier! I've had a lot of bikes and parts come through my hands. I still have a handful of bikes in my collection, a '78 Gary Turner, (pre GT) and an SE OM Flyer, a 79 Powerlite cruiser and a Kuwahara ET edition. I go by the same username on bmxmuseum.com, you can check out some of the bikes that I've had... https://bmxmuseum.com/user/1002

flatwins

Reaction score
Not a push bike I know, but still definitely a vintage bike... my 1974 Ducati 750 Sport.

Bought it in pretty poor shape for $1600 and it barely made it home. I completely disassembled, rebuilt and refinished everything.

Sold it for $4,800 in 1980 to help finance my first serious backpacking world trip. Back then that was good money. Duh.

About twenty years ago it was sold by the guy who bought it off me, unchanged... for $42,000.

Who knows what’s it’s worth now. But honestly, if I could rewrite history, I still wouldn’t change a thing. Thirty seven grand differential... pfffffft... who cares. That first trip completely changed my life, and the money is immaterial.

View attachment 499197
Beautiful Ducati!

flatwins

Reaction score
I have a complete 1980 survivor Mongoose that I picked up at a pawnshop for $40 in 1994. Never had one as a kid and they were like a Ferrari to my 10 year old eyes. I had planned to restore it but now plan to just clean it up, repack the bearings, and leave it original.
8D815391-A747-4485-8EC2-8F3A050BFA02.jpeg

Last edited:

Redfern

Reaction score
I have a complete 1980 survivor Mongoose that I picked up at a pawnshop for $40 in 1994. Never had one as a kid and they were like a Ferrari to my 10 year old eyes. I had planned to restore it but now plan to just clean it up, repack the bearings, and leave it original.
View attachment 504321
Team Mongoose for life!
D614F655-1E5C-41FE-AD04-5A7E1D68A62A.jpeg

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool that this thread is still going and so many folks are into it. BMX was such a positive part of my youth. At the beginning of the pandemic I picked up an SE OM Duro from a local family that collects these. They had like 20 different flavors of SE bikes in their garage. Not vintage, but I'm enjoying cruising around on this style of bike again, and the gears are a nice touch for my older out of shape body. My only complaint is this thing is heavy. Anyone making something similar these days that's significantly lighter?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just restored a Schwinn 80's-90's 5-speed Cruiser Deluxe women's bike. Just took the pictures today! I'm going to list it locally for $300 or reasonable offer. Am I out-of-line with the price? Bicycle prices, in general, have really skyrocketed!

-Mark

Attachments