stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
brace.jpg

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Watching this, I feel the tension of how I'd feel if we were speaking in person and, out of interest in her, I'd work to appear interested as she delivered this 38-minute lecture about one Tool song. Painful.

I anticipate some backlash from saying this, but Tool are fine. Their fans are exhausting, though.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 52

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Watching this, I feel the tension of how I'd feel if we were speaking in person and, out of interest in her, I'd work to appear interested as she delivered this 38-minute lecture about one Tool song. Painful.

I anticipate some backlash from saying this, but Tool are fine. Their fans are exhausting, though.
I hear this about Tool fans and being one myself it's something I've never noticed.

I live under a rock too but that's another story.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear this about Tool fans and being one myself it's something I've never noticed.

I live under a rock too but that's another story.
I think the pendulum on Tool fans and their reputation swung a few years ago. Some of them (us) are overbearing, but it’s not as bad as it’s made out to be.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She got the crazy eyes so.............

sometimes there's something to be said to just listening to the music, and not doing your Phd on it.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are a number of bands with 152% rabid fans. But I’m not in any rush to name drop any of them here.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I finally understand why most of you guys are so dismissive of her reviews. I've discovered many other people doing the same thing.

What sets her apart for me is that she's a trained professional opera singer who also likes rock music.

Though, that will not likely change anyone's opinion, but at least you have mine.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I finally understand why most of you guys are so dismissive of her reviews. I've discovered many other people doing the same thing.

What sets her apart for me is that she's a trained professional opera singer who also likes rock music.

Though, that will not likely change anyone's opinion, but at least you have mine.
I don't speak for others but no, that's not even close for me.

It's incredibly boring. I did watch the first few minutes of this video. The math part I already knew from something I read a while back on the entire album.

I just found it mind numbing watching someone listen to, visually react to and stop to comment and I feel the same way about most reaction videos.

And others do also apparently. What her being a trained professional singer who likes rock music has anything to do with the cost of bread is beyond me.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't speak for others but no, that's not even close for me.

It's incredibly boring. I did watch the first few minutes of this video. The math part I already knew from something I read a while back on the entire album.

I just found it mind numbing watching someone listen to, visually react to and stop to comment and I feel the same way about most reaction videos.

And others do also apparently. What her being a trained professional singer who likes rock music has anything to do with the cost of bread is beyond me.
Nope, it has nothing to do with the cost of bread.

What I was getting at is a lot of other reviews are just by average schmoes.

They provide an opinion.
She provides an educated opinion.
There is a difference.

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nope, it has nothing to do with the cost of bread.

What I was getting at is a lot of other reviews are just by average schmoes.

They provide an opinion.
She provides an educated opinion.
There is a difference.
I miss the way people used to share educated opinions/analysis: in print. You can't skim a video. In general, I can't stand sitting through video versions of what should be articles.
(Related: finding print/diagram repair instructions is becoming nearly impossible. I hate sitting through some blowhard's video to find out halfway through he's a hack or has a slightly different machine. Pretty soon everything will be video and nobody will know how to write. Hopefully by then I'll be good-and-disconnected from society.)

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I miss the way people used to share educated opinions/analysis: in print. You can't skim a video. In general, I can't stand sitting through video versions of what should be articles.
(Related: finding print/diagram repair instructions is becoming nearly impossible. I hate sitting through some blowhard's video to find out halfway through he's a hack or has a slightly different machine. Pretty soon everything will be video and nobody will know how to write. Hopefully by then I'll be good-and-disconnected from society.)
Or instructional videos but yes, a lot of things are becoming long-winded.

I've found the knack of skipping forward past the filler to the killer saves me a lot of frustration.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Oh, I'll take a 10-minute video over a 400-page repair manual any day. Let's not over-romanticize the past.

Attachments

• Haynes-30050-cover_0.jpg
    Haynes-30050-cover_0.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 9

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went thru a reaction video phase & got tired of being annoyed by the presenters. The singer reviewing Tool... I first saw her reacting to Geoff Tate and it was ok, but I don't care for the way she performs her reactions... my reaction to her reacting.

I will watch Michael Palmisano. He's a guitar player and I've really enjoyed some of the music he's turned me on to. (but stopping a performance to comment still bugs me)

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
So, you'd rather read about her review than watch a video?
To each their own.