OT Virus's

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Not the Corona (or Dos Ecces)
I went to 2 large 'family' functions last weekend, lots of 'pitch-in' foods and such. Since Monday afternoon I've spent the sickest week I've had in 30 years. Not the only one to fall ill (my 76 year old sister was hospitalized for 2 days) it all has brought me to the opinion that nothing is safe during flu season, and the only solution is avoid these things like the plague. From now on, I'm playing my "OLD" card, too old to be around sick but well meaning food preparers, folks who work with the public , kids in school (always sick) . I am now a misanthrope, but at 73 it kinda suits me.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've eaten out twice I think, since the coronavirus came on the scene. I have a rotten useless immune system, I'm sick a lot during the winter--HATE IT.

I sanitize EVERYWHERE. Gas station, ATM's, grocery store. People are frickin' dirty and nasty.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
"It's just a virus" my daughter has been sick twice this winter and took her to the doctor both times to make sure it wasn't strep or the flu both times "no, just a virus" Great that just means you can't give her anything for it and now that I've been stuck in the car for an hour with her I'm going to get it...and of course I did...we're both over it now. Not sure how I got sick I mean alcohol is suppose to kill germs right? :)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I don’t usually get sick - cold every couple years, maybe. Flu about once a decade.

This year I had what felt like the last couple days of a cold from Thanksgiving until the end of January. I was never anything besides tired and kinda congested and headachey, but it just would NOT go away. That was a really bad time.

Unusually nasty cold season here, but also winter started on Halloween, and isn’t in a big hurry to leave.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I spent a dozen years in the front of a classroom. I told the kiddos that I mark my territory by peeing around my desk and unless they want to deal with that ... they should probably keep a few steps away from it. (not a joke)

I've scanned the news lately. I see the run on paper masks ... people freaking out.

If a person honestly believes that some goofy paper face mask thing will keep him/her from contracting ANY virus ... that person is living in an alternate reality.

A virus is ridiculously small.
Generally speaking ... a virus will insert itself into a cell ... then insert itself into the nucleus ... and then it will insert itself into the freekin RNA strand ... SMALL.

Just wash your hands and try to overcome the urge to lick the faucet in the bathroom.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I spent a dozen years in the front of a classroom. I told the kiddos that I mark my territory by peeing around my desk and unless they want to deal with that ... they should probably keep a few steps away from it. (not a joke)

I've scanned the news lately. I see the run on paper masks ... people freaking out.

If a person honestly believes that some goofy paper face mask thing will keep him/her from contracting ANY virus ... that person is living in an alternate reality.

A virus is ridiculously small.
Generally speaking ... a virus will insert itself into a cell ... then insert itself into the nucleus ... and then it will insert itself into the freekin RNA strand ... SMALL.

Just wash your hands and try to overcome the urge to lick the faucet in the bathroom.
I know it’s not from you.
And what do I see below your post?

Attachments

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Masks do help people with symptoms to keep their droplets contained to a smaller radius.

I have no scientific proof but I suspect healthy people wearing masks at large and not just in the presence of someone suspected to be contagious, is simply providing a catch surface in close proximity to your eyes,mouth, and nose for germs to latch to and then spread to their fingers, eyes, mouth, and nose.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Coronavirus is like those crazy clowns that used to hang out on street corners and scare people a few years ago; in a few months it will all be forgotten. Kinda like Ebola or Zika.

As far as getting sick, every once in a while your immune system needs a good challenge.

I will tell you one thing that really jerks my chain at these family pot luck gatherings is these women who cut the cake, then lick the frosting off their fingers before cutting the next slice. That really needs to stop.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
N95 and P100 masks are useful if you’re in close contact with a sick person...but...they have to seal perfectly and should be checked each time one is out on. They are one-use only. They are best used by a sick person not to infect others.

The CDC says they are unnecessary in normal public situations.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I came down with flu like symptoms when my son was a newborn, and still at the hospital. So I had to leave. The day he came home, my wife was coming down with it and I was getting better, but my son had billirubin levels through the roof, to the point he was lethargic.

Short story, sick people with a newborn going back to the hospital and lots of explaining as to who the actual patient was. I had a bandanna tied around my mouth and nose bank robber style. My wife made fun of me and told me it wouldn't cut it, I had to ditch it for an actual mask. The triage nurse said, no. He's fine, his is just as effective, and more stylish too!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Maybe the problem is we’re not talking about virus realistically. In China, it has had a 2% fatality rate (with far more deaths among the elderly and older
people who smoke). That’s 20 times higher than the flu.